CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

emissions readiness test

Old 12-10-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk430
emissions readiness test

Does anybody know what test are required in Georgia..I got my power issue fixed at a local MB shop ( lose wire ) but before I got there BP decided to try and fix it and pulled the fuse and reset the computer. reason I am concerned is my Birthday is soon and I need my sticker

Also heard comflicting stories..Will Hwy or short trips do it faster..MB shop said hwy trip but emission guy said stay under 60 ?

Showing OK are
Misfire Mom
Fuel System Mon
Comp. Component
O2 Mom
O2 Htr

Still in "inc"
Cat monitor
Evap Sys mon
Sec Air system
Old 12-11-2017, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Buy a cheap obdII scanner (they're like 20 bucks) so you can check it yourself instead of guessing and going back to the mechanic. It should set itself after about 20-30 miles of varied driving. The systems need time to warm up to temp and then stay there for a while. I should be a continuous drive. Short trips might not get the car to temp as easily as sustained driving.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:32 PM

clk430
Georgia clean air said I can have 2 in "not ready" and it should still pass. Once I get there I will give it a try..
I have a scanner but shows 9 sensors and I didn't know which ones matter and which don't toward the emissions.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Markayash......I understand what you're taking about.

Here is the U.S., the state emission test centers use the DOT standards and test equipment, which reads the reads the status (e.g. either 'ready' or 'not ready') of various engine management sensors. Based on the specific combination on 'not ready' sensors, results in the CEL turning, as well as a OBDII diagnostic trouble code.

A while back, with an upcoming state inspection, I had a CEL / MAF fault code, I replaced the MAF and as described in the owner's manual, after 3 cold starts, the CEL automatically turned off. However, post repair, I also knew that the sensors that caused the CEL would have to reset to 'ready', which automatically occurs in time, if no further fault is detected. A few days later, after driving around 125 miles, failed inspection, because more than 2 sensors were detected as 'not ready'. In my state, a re-inspection is free, so just added another hundred miles and passed. Note: While most vehicles sensors will reset within 100 miles, apparently MB system takes longer.

What I've learned is that:

1. To allow for reasonable test tolerances, if no more than 2 sensors show 'not ready', you'll pass. Also, a 'not ready' sensor may or may not be specifically related to the problem that has since been repaired,

2. In my state, our RMV has some exemptions, where older vehicles can get a pass on the emissions test (e.g. where more than 2 sensors show 'not ready', effort made to repair and further cost to repair is excessive).

3. I believe that the sensors resenting to 'ready', as with the CEL automatically turning off, are based on additional cold starts vs. mileage.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:36 AM

clk430
My check engine came back on..I am learning that a steady speed, like the 53 mph readiness stuff, will trigger the p2098 almost everytime..I am pretty sure, or hoping its the MAS and have one on order..Also my tag office said they would issue me a 30 day temp tag while I work on it..Its a 2002 and I can't see taking it to a dealer with a blank check and saying "fix it" so if this doesn't work don't know what I will do
Hoping I can get my tag and work on the p2098 at my own pace
Old 12-13-2017, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
Originally Posted by markayash
My check engine came back on..I am learning that a steady speed, like the 53 mph readiness stuff, will trigger the p2098 almost everytime..I am pretty sure, or hoping its the MAS and have one on order..Also my tag office said they would issue me a 30 day temp tag while I work on it..Its a 2002 and I can't see taking it to a dealer with a blank check and saying "fix it" so if this doesn't work don't know what I will do
Hoping I can get my tag and work on the p2098 at my own pace
If i had to bet on that code I would say it is your downstream o2 sensor or a bad cat.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 AM

clk430
Don't say bad cat

I've already replace the downstream O2 sensor and I'm hoping it's not a cat.. I am replacing the mass airflow sensor I figure it's a little cheaper to try a few things and take it somewhere and pay a bunch of money to have it diagnosed
Old 12-13-2017, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
DTC P2098 indicates that your post catalyst fuel trim system is to lean condition for bank 2 (e.g. to much air and not enough fuel), as provided from an O2 sensors and recognized by the PCM. Bank 2 refers to the side of the engine that does not contain cylinder #1.

Dollars to doughnuts, there's not a W208 on the road today, that hasn't had to replace it's mass air flow sensor.

Just make sure the new one is an OE genuine MB part or the OEM Bosch part, as the knockoffs won't work out well. There was even a EBay seller offering a genuine MB part, which turned out to be a VW part, even though the unit looked same.Strangely, you're not getting any additional DTCs that would help diagnose/troubleshoot the cause (e.g. no P2099 bank 1 DTC issue, misfires, MAF etc.).

While changing the MAF, inspect the air intake for leaks downstream, broken vacuum lines and the bank 2 valve cover for leaks, as well as for air leakage within the exhaust system.

Last edited by Serndipity; 12-13-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:00 PM

clk430
Smile

Originally Posted by Serndipity
DTC P2098 indicates that your post catalyst fuel trim system is to lean condition for bank 2 (e.g. to much air and not enough fuel), as provided from an O2 sensors and recognized by the PCM. Bank 2 refers to the side of the engine that does not contain cylinder #1.

Dollars to doughnuts, there's not a W208 on the road today, that hasn't had to replace it's mass air flow sensor.

Just make sure the new one is an OE genuine MB part or the OEM Bosch part, as the knockoffs won't work out well. There was even a EBay seller offering a genuine MB part, which turned out to be a VW part, even though the unit looked same.Strangely, you're not getting any additional DTCs that would help diagnose/troubleshoot the cause (e.g. no P2099 bank 1 DTC issue, misfires, MAF etc.).

While changing the MAF, inspect the air intake for leaks downstream, broken vacuum lines and the bank 2 valve cover for leaks, as well as for air leakage within the exhaust system.

This is supposed to be Bosch and I bought through amazon so if it isn't they will make it right. I will be happy if it fix's it.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The Bosch P/N for your 2002 CLK430 is 0280217810
The following users liked this post:
ecmexchange (12-14-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 06:56 PM

clk430
Either one from amazon is fake or bad..Got low mass doe within first 3 minutes Sending back