CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

High-Flow Air Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL350
I can't because the true must be told. Hers'a another reason why Mach430 think thw twin air inlet tube is no good because it create the air to "COLLIDED"!!! LOL....LOL...LOL...LOL...

Man Linh, you are cracking me up!!
Old 04-17-2002, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karl, if anyone here thinks the moderators and the people who answer your questions aren't in some way benefitting from doing so, you're sadly mistaken. Seems to me that a fair number of the people who post here are employees or associates of EVOsport, which (along with the hilariously clueless crowd of regulars) is why I don't take this board seriously at all.

The business has a messageboard, and you are using it.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:26 PM

2012 GL350
Newbie, can you point be to a unbiases messageboard?
Old 04-17-2002, 11:41 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK430
VWVORTEX.com IS WAY BETTER THEN THIS FORUM when it come to unbiased Moderators. But it is for VW's.
Old 04-18-2002, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
The Covette site is terrific, - but slow...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeromain

The Porsche one is excellent as well:

http://forums.rennlist.com/

Last edited by karl k; 04-18-2002 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:45 AM

Honestly I can't point you to another MB board, 'cause the only other place I post is the Clubhouse UBB at www.mustangworld.com (don't own a 'Stang, just have a lot of friends there).

I know there's www.mbnz.org, but I never go there. MBworld cracks me up because of the constant, blatant advertising by the people who are paid to post here, the several hilarious foreign members who post nothing but jibberish, and the totally clueless old MB owners. It's a hilarious mix, but not to be taken without a BIG grain of salt.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:14 AM

2000 CLK 430
Now back to my car.......
How much and where can I buy (2) Itg air Filters?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2002, 08:33 AM

CLK430

Last edited by kingman18; 04-27-2020 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by Newbie
... MBworld cracks me up because of the constant, blatant advertising by the people who are paid to post here, the several hilarious foreign members who post nothing but jibberish, and the totally clueless old MB owners. It's a hilarious mix, but not to be taken without a BIG grain of salt.
Newbie:

A moderator is NOT a credible moderator, when he/she becomes an advocate for personal gain.

A MODERATOR is synonymous with arbitrator, mediator, judge, conciliator, peacemaker. Once a moderator becomes a flaming billboard for his agenda, he is not a moderator but a promoter of his agenda. It compromises objectivity, which is the essential quality/ingredient to be a trusted and effective Moderator.

Most moderators on this forum have this quality of OBJECTIVITY and contribute/donate their outstanding expertise and talents.

But, when trade complaints/disputes against a moderator surface on this forum, then something clearly is wrong.

As far as the participant mix on this forum, I enjoy and welcome it. I realize, that the internet is ubiquitous and is open to all. We can all learn from each other inluding patience, tolerance and gratitude, -- in addition to the ins and outs of air filter substitutions and changing the exhaust rumble.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:56 AM

Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
LOL

Originally posted by BroadSt Bully
Now back to my car.......
How much and where can I buy (2) Itg air Filters?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2002, 11:44 AM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Now, let get back to the High-Flow-Airtake mods that Rennytech sell. Personnally, i say that there is a gain in this mods because i have try doing this experienmen with my Slk 230 by add an additional 3" air inlet tube to the air filter box and WOW !!! I felt a huge gain from 2500-3500 rpm. I also dynoed my car and it show a gain of 7 ft/tq at the wheel from 2500-3500 rpm. The rest of the gain were only 3 hp and 3 ft/tq from 3500 rpm to redline. I really like that 7 ft/tq gain from 2500-3500 rpm because it usable under normal driving and don't to drive your car hard to feel the gain like most "chip".
Old 04-18-2002, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

All this negativity is rubbing off on me.... f#@! you all... if I ever see any of you crackers on the road, I'm going to do my best to take you down. To hell with Linh's garage-made-quintuplet-inlet intake system, or Renncepe's (3rd party manufactured?) $135,000 NASA-tested airbox and chip, or for that matter, my Kleemann time-bomb/ MKB overpriced disaster-waiting-to-happen CLK... so what if my driving skills were developed on the pothole-ridden streets of NYC... I'll take Newbie and his Martha Stewart School of Driving racing skills on any day. As for Mach430... he can't be all that bad... I've met his girlfriend and she's super nice and a looker too... although, she might just be in it for the car.

To hell with this forum, I'm looking for a new one... there must be a lipstick-lesbian-couples-seeking-30'ish-asian-american-boytoy forum I can hang out on out there somewhere (but please don't tell my wife).

By the way, I have a technical question related to intake sysytems for all the experts out there... i know what happens if I stick a potato in my neighbor's muffler.... what will happen if I put a potato in his intake tubes? Would another vegetable or fruit work better? Dyno tested results only please.

Last edited by Sleestack; 04-18-2002 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:33 PM

1994 E500
Sleestack - Hehehe...
Old 04-18-2002, 04:20 PM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Hey Sleestack,

Thanks for the laught !!! Btw, have you ever heard of the saying " Dog that bark, they don't bite". Anyway, So you don't think Rennytech high-flow-air intake does not work by making the air inlet tube opening bigger. Let me ask you this, do you know why the BMW V8 powered M3 did not compete this year? Because Porsche complain that Bmw did not built a V8 M3 road version, so there for, they pantylize the Bmw car by installing a 20 mm plate into the air inlet intake and because of that, the V8 M3 lose so much power that they were making enough power to compete this year.(plus a 100 lbs. weight in the trunk). That's why. Why don't you stick your potato in your car air inlet and you know what means. : >>))))
Old 04-18-2002, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Uhh, what's the deal Linh? I was being sarcastic, but I guess you don't get it. I'm sure Renntech's product works and I'm sure you built yourself a dandy intake system. Of course I think better airflow improves performance. If you recall I had an MKB airbox installed before the Kleemann. Furthermore isn't a SC just an extreme example of improved airflow? And yes, I read the article on the BMW in Car & Driver too.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:19 PM

2000 CLK 430
So now please list every company that sells an Air flow systems and a price.

Why is this information so hard to get?

Being we have individuals here that sell the products.....

Or just email me BROADSTREETBULLY@aol.com

Thanks

Last edited by BroadSt Bully; 04-18-2002 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:20 PM

2012 GL350
i know what happens if I stick a potato in my neighbor's muffler.... what will happen if I put a potato in his intake tubes? Would another vegetable or fruit work better? Dyno tested results only please.
Well it all depends if its a Kleemann potato or a Renntech Potato.

I can't get enough!

LOL
Old 04-18-2002, 07:26 PM

2012 GL350
Renntech is the only company that I know of that makes a Hi FLow air intake for the CLK.

RBtech's is a stock Mercedes Air Box covered in carbon fiber and is a joke. It will also hit the hood due to it's increased height.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Re: Moderators: There is a CONFLICT of Interest here!

Karl,

I will answer all of these points one at a time to help clarify the situation.

Originally posted by karl k
Moderators have many functions. One is to be objective, neutral and fair on issues of technical nature, which are discussed/presented in this forum.

Clearly, objectivity is compromised, when moderators become advocates for products and realizing personal gains.
While I don't totally agree with your point here, we have come to the conclusion that it is best to avoid this issue moving forward and Mach430 has resigned his moderator status.

Additionally, moderator's signature cannot be an ad for product promotion benefitting the moderator with commissions. Those ads may seem innocent to some, but they are ADS, sending a message that obviouly lacks objectivity in product selection, irregardless of the quality of product promoted via the moderator's signature.
This I also agree with in large part. That is one reason while you will never see me actually moderating a board or editing posts, etc. (ok, I guess this post is more or less one of a moderator, but so be it).

Along the same lines are signatures like Randy's. Where he promotes a company wihtout being a sponsor of this board.

Both of these will not be toloerated moving forward.

My suggestion: Where there is the appearance of a conflict of interest, the Moderator should recuse himself and not comment..
That is exactly what Mach430 has done.

Thanks

Brad
Old 04-18-2002, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally posted by linh
they think that only their's products are the best. Let me remind you !!! You guys are just a RETAILER, not a Manufacturer !!!
Just a point of clarification, we are a manufacturer. We have manufactured a pulley kit for the BMW that has been featured in European Car and EuroTuner magazines to high praise and is currently being used in about a dozen World Challenge cars.

We are also manufacturing a lot of things for the Mercedes line as well. That is not to say that we will be the ultimate product for everyone. RennTech, Kleemann and all the others still have a jump on a lot of this stuff, however, we are taking our time to make things the best that our team of engineres can create.

As for the products we do retail - of course we think they are the best! Why would we chose to sell something that we think is less then the best? That is not to say that people can have different opinions or points of view - they certainly can. I personally encourage this. We all learn when people challenge.

Thanks

Brad
Old 04-18-2002, 09:16 PM

2000 CLK 430
After speaking to a knowledgeable person at a well known
Conversion shop in Oakland CA.

"For a CLK430 the only Horsepower gains that you will every receive will be with a Supercharger because of the OBDII"

That means chips,air filters, etc are not noticeable horsepower gains on dyno...................................

So I'm savings my pennies...

Thanks again for the Mercedes Benz Family Fued.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Founder

Broadstreet,

I can only assume that you talked to John at CT in Oakland. He is a great guy! Tell him Hi for me next time you chat with him. We work and race together quite a bit!

Thanks

Brad
Old 04-18-2002, 10:27 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by BroadSt Bully
After speaking to a knowledgeable person at a well known
Conversion shop in Oakland CA.

"For a CLK430 the only Horsepower gains that you will every receive will be with a Supercharger because of the OBDII"

That means chips,air filters, etc are not noticeable horsepower gains on dyno...................................

So I'm savings my pennies...

Thanks again for the Mercedes Benz Family Fued.
OBD II does limit the ability of aftermarket bolt on components to produce horse power, however an educated technician would know that components such as a computer chip will increase horsepower without affecting the abilities of OBD II computers. The gains noted from a chip, air filter, ect. are less noticeable than a supercharger but, there is still horsepower to be gained. Anytime an engine can breathe better or the fuel mapping is changed the horsepower will increase. Yes, OBD II will try to compensate for bolt on components but it will not diminish the total effect of these parts. By changing the airflow to an engine the OBD II computer will see this and add more fuel. There are limits to this ability, however, the computer can not compensate for all outside influences. There are limitations to what an air filter can do.
If the chip is modified the entire fuel map is changed. ODB II can not override this. Fuel mapping is in the very heart of an OBD II chip. If you change that map the fuel delivery will change and there is nothing that will change that. Mercedes Benz even offers this in the factory programming of the fuel computer on their new vehicles. Spark timing and fuel delivery settings can be changed with the factory provided diagnostic computer. Horsepower gains are negligible but with the help of an after market air filter or air box the gains are quite noticeable. Modifying the chip at this point is only the icing on the cake.
If this technician believes the only horsepower gain is from supercharging, you may want to ask him about turbo charging, or ask him why the OBD II computer won’t just compensate for the supercharger and negate any horsepower gain? Why would the computer allow a supercharger to work but not an air filter or air box? They do the same thing in different degrees. They both increase air flow!

Randy
Old 04-18-2002, 11:14 PM

2012 GL350
I can only assume that you talked to John at CT in Oakland. He is a great guy! Tell him Hi for me next time you chat with him. We work and race together quite a bit!
This from the same shop that wanted to charge 6 hours of labor for a pulley swap.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=oakland

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE???????

Doesn't sound like good advise.

BROAD ST - why don't you pick up the phone and call some tuners? 90% of the posters on this board are barley old enough to drive. Start with these. Brabus, lorenser, Renntech, HKS, Oberklasse.

Stick a fork in me, I'm done.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Founder

Randy,

He said that the most notable gains are from forced induction. That is true. Yes, there can be gains from other NA mods, but you need some real software hacking to make them work and make them sustainable and consistent.

There ARE gains to be had on a CLK with air intakes, exhaust, cams, headers, filters, throttle bodies, etc. However, you will spend more money chasing HP this way then with a SC or Turbo kit in most cases.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High-Flow Air Intake