CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]
View Poll Results: Can the CLK430 Soft Top Be Operated Manually Full-Time
Yes, just use/then reverse the method in the owner's manual
50.00%
No, Serious damage could occur
0%
Yes, with some modifications
25.00%
Keep trying to get it fixed untill a repair "sticks"
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Tired of Soft Top Repairs, Is This a Viable Solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK430
Tired of Soft Top Repairs, Is This a Viable Solution?

I'm tired of all the troubleshooting and repairs that I'm encountering with my 2002 430 CLK's soft top. Repairs, when they are successful, never last more that a couple months, then back to nothing but a slowly flashing red light on the tops switch in the center console.

How feasible would it be to simply decide that from now on the top was going to be manual? That I would take it up and down using the provided tool when desired? Is there any kind of damage I could do with this method?

Would there be a way to disable the hydraulics as to make the manual opening and closing simpler? Any other modifications necessary?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Once the pump is released it will work manually as you have done before. It won't be any easier because the top is designed to be moved hydraulically but it will go. You could simply remove the entire pump unit, cycle the top a couple times until all the fluid is done coming out of the lines, and leave it out. But there should be a plug on the pump you loosen to release it from holding pressure against you moving the top manually, without making such a mess.
The following users liked this post:
Droptop Benzo (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 08:53 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
For the 8 months prior to my having stopped driving the W208, I raised and lowered the top multiple times daily. It's just like anything else, the more you do it - the better you become. I can finish the process in an average of about 25 seconds, which really is no big deal. Just keep a 10mm spanner �� and an Allen key handy, and it's not really all that cumbersome. Requires a little muscle to close the top, but it's not too terrible. Just get in the habit of grabbing the top at the front center so it goes up evenly, and it raises a lot easier. With the value of these cars plummeting, it really doesn't make financial sense to keep throwing money at top issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aussiesuede:
Droptop Benzo (03-17-2018), Faridlozano (10-08-2019)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk230
How do you get the top to release at the rear when you want to take it down and then close back down tight when you're putting the top back up without the switches?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Thack
How do you get the top to release at the rear when you want to take it down and then close back down tight when you're putting the top back up without the switches?
There are manual releases for almost all of the lock cylinders. The rear ones should be accessible in the trunk, and the front is locked via the screw in the overhead control panel area.
The following users liked this post:
Thack (04-26-2018)