CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

History Report Denied at Dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk320

I just bought a 99 clk 320 and I called my dealer today to obtain history on my car based on the VIN and she says, "you are not the original owner of the car. this is information that can be released only for the owner at that time" I argue that I am now the original owner but am still denied. Is this true?
Old 05-26-2004, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
This is a sensitive issue at...

some Benz stores. It's a privacy thing....they are concerned that information that "belonged" to someone else shouldn't be passed on to anyone else. Some stores are helpful, some have an absolute Hitler Complex about it. If you can show them that the car is now titled in your name, they may help you. They may also give you a bit more help if you have the car in their shop for a repair order (especially if it's a customer pay repair). Or if you develp a good relationship with your wrench or service advisor, he may help. No guarantee though. Personally, I think it sux. I don't have this problem trying to obtain service histories on Lexus cars.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
You should always get a car history before you buy a car. You can always post the VIN on here and someone will probably get you the carfax
Old 05-26-2004, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
I'm pretty sure....

he's not talking about a Carfax or Autocheck report. He's talking about the MBNA Master Vehicle Inquiry, which is a whole 'nuther thang. ...
Old 05-26-2004, 10:41 AM

clk320
carfax was clean. the dealership I went to was South Bay Mercedes in Torrance.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:48 AM

2002 CLK 430/2002 325i
Try another dealership

Try going to a different dealership and asking for a history report....all dealerships are different.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GMC Sierra
The MB Service Center would not give me the records because the name of the previous owner is on the paperwork. BUT they did tell me what service was done on the car. They also told me how often it was in for oil changes.
I simply asked what service was done on the car, not all the records.

Regards,
Ed
Old 05-26-2004, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
the service manager of a local audi dealership gave me all the info he had on a car i was interested in buying w/just the vin.

Your dealer won't even give you the info on YOUR car!!!???

Old 06-11-2004, 03:57 AM

clk320
...continuing story to request History Report from South Bay Mercedes in Torrance. I go in there today to purchase some touch up paint. After doing that, I go to the service area to request my history report of my CLK that I just bought 3 weeks ago. I talk to an assistant manager first and he says, "service done on car can only be released to owner at that time". I was really pissed when he said that because I want to know where my car stands. I have about another 1100 miles before my next service but that is not the problem any more. So i request to speak to his boss who is the Service Manager. Of course I am asked to wait 10 minutes because he had to use the bathroom (they must be talking among themselves). I finally talk to Peter (Service Manager) and first thing he asks me is for the VIN. He looks up the car and says, "Im sorry but I cannot release any service history because you were not the owner at that time". I now feel he is hiding something from me. Keep in mind that I am very cordial with Peter. I told him the reason I need to know is because I need to know where the car stands in case something goes wrong with the car. It will help me better assess any future situation. He says, "Im sorry but I cant be of help there. The only way I can release the service history is if you ask the original owner to sign a consent form and have it NOTARIZED" At this point I was really upset but did not let him know it. He wants me to have it notarized!?!?!?!?!?! My question is....Can they deny me the history report when I am now the current owner? Also, if there was work done during warranty and the problem arises after warranty coverage..is that covered because it was a previously known problem? Can I get my service history from another Mercedes Dealership? What to do guys?!>!! I want to know what they are hiding from me.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:59 AM

clk320

...continuing story to request History Report from South Bay Mercedes in Torrance. I go in there today to purchase some touch up paint. After doing that, I go to the service area to request my history report of my CLK that I just bought 3 weeks ago. I talk to an assistant manager first and he says, "service done on car can only be released to owner at that time". I was really pissed when he said that because I want to know where my car stands. I have about another 1100 miles before my next service but that is not the problem any more. So i request to speak to his boss who is the Service Manager. Of course I am asked to wait 10 minutes because he had to use the bathroom (they must be talking among themselves). I finally talk to Peter (Service Manager) and first thing he asks me is for the VIN. He looks up the car and says, "Im sorry but I cannot release any service history because you were not the owner at that time". I now feel he is hiding something from me. Keep in mind that I am very cordial with Peter. I told him the reason I need to know is because I need to know where the car stands in case something goes wrong with the car. It will help me better assess any future situation. He says, "Im sorry but I cant be of help there. The only way I can release the service history is if you ask the original owner to sign a consent form and have it NOTARIZED" At this point I was really upset but did not let him know it. He wants me to have it notarized!?!?!?!?!?! My question is....Can they deny me the history report when I am now the current owner? Also, if there was work done during warranty and the problem arises after warranty coverage..is that covered because it was a previously known problem? Can I get my service history from another Mercedes Dealership? What to do guys?!>!! I want to know what they are hiding from me.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:02 AM

clk320

Old 06-11-2004, 04:37 AM

'03 c320wz
talk to the service DIRECTOR. hes the service manager's boss. as for going to a different dealership all they can do is print out the VMI. which is the vehicle master inquiry. it doesnt go into detail about everything though. but it'll tell you the gist of it. i get a print out of my VMI all the time, but i bought the car new.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:10 AM

clk320
the VMI is all I want. Id be happy to get anything.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
I have never heard of such a thing. You can get a carfax and know everything about a car without owning it so why not get wrranty and service info as well. You are the current owner and I would imagine it is your right to know what happened previously, unless they are hiding something in which case I would cause more trouble to get the info. Maybe try calling MBUSA.....
Old 06-11-2004, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 325i
Originally posted by mctwin2kman
I have never heard of such a thing. You can get a carfax and know everything about a car without owning it so why not get wrranty and service info as well. You are the current owner and I would imagine it is your right to know what happened previously, unless they are hiding something in which case I would cause more trouble to get the info. Maybe try calling MBUSA.....
Agree, get carfax. Ask for it at the Off topic forum. There are members who would email you the carfax if you provide them the VIN.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:05 AM

only amg
history report

read the pm i just sent you, you will have your info a.s.a.p
Old 06-11-2004, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by mctwin2kman
Carfax will not provide you with service history.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:27 AM

Go to another dealer and ask for it?
Old 06-11-2004, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 325i
Originally posted by vadim
Oops you are right
Old 06-11-2004, 11:42 AM

Talk to the sales rep even.. usually they can sneak in and ask someone to print out a copy for you.

Also any dealer can get it.

fk
Old 06-11-2004, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally posted by vadim
I was actually making a comparison by stating that if you can easily get a carfax and see when and where it has been registered, then why can't you get the dealership to tell you when it was serviced? I find it actually hard to believe that MBUSA or anyone has a rule that the new owner of a used car can not get the service records because they did not own it at the time. Stupid really since what diference would it make. You already bought the car! Unless of course the dealership sold you the car and they are hiding something from you and do not want you to turn around and make them give your money back. Sounds very fishy to me.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:04 PM

clk320
The carfax is clean. I am talking about the Vehicle Master Inquiry (VMI). This shows all maintenance services/warranty work/recalls or any transaction the car went through. I bought the car used from a private party and not through the dealership.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
In this case I can somewhat understand the dealership. Not much but a little. Make sure that you are the owner of record, call MBUSA and ask the private party you bought it from if they would be kind enough to get it for you.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:29 PM

clk320
I am the owner of the vehicle. I am the new registered owner and the pink slip is in the mail.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
that's rediculous. i got a VMI from Penske. they offered it me for my records. i'd go somewhere as get it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: History Report Denied at Dealership