CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Unknown v60 Brain Cord (see Pic!!!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2004 | 03:49 AM

05' E500 Sport, 01' CLK 320
Unknown v60 Brain Cord (see Pic!!!)

I was having some parts installed on my car and my friend came across a situation. I had the timeport phone (voice cradle etc..) and I purchased the upgrade v60 kit however during the install we noticed that the v60 brain had a connection which was smaller than the original timeport brain in the trunk (connection looks like a computer printer plug.. see pic). Thus, the connector was to big to plug into the new v60 brain. Could someone tell me what part or parts I am lacking and also a part number. I would greatly appreciate it! I am also lacking the cord that runs from the trunk to the back of the radio.

I emailed steve this too.. but he didnt have a US part number. The mercedes people told me even a euro number may be helpfull to help track it down. Emailing steve for euro number tonight. If anyone knows please clue me in!

Thanks!!!

note: this is a picture from ebay which i copied.. i was told it was from an S class.. but the parts are the same (brain etc...)
Old 05-26-2004 | 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
There's no Euro part number for that because that is a part for US-only phone installations. It's not even MADE in Europe, it is installed in the USA at the VPC.

Your parts people will probably have a tough time finding the part number for that particular part, because it is part of the whole phone installation kit for the car. A better place to get the part number is to have a service technician print out the kit install instructions from wherever they get them (not WIS because that generally doesn't cover stuff instailled from the US). The install instructions will have a list of all parts in the kit.

You really don't need that part though, it is just a cable to tap off the power to run the compensator. I still don't use a compensator in my CLK. You can use a straight through 25-25pin cable (from Fry's, etc.)

I did make a few of those cables by hand. If you're unsuccessful locating one, I think I may have one laying around.

You also say you are missing a cord that runs from the trunk to the back of the radio... what year car do you have? All US-spec cars 1999 and later come with all cables, except for the compensator cable and whatever else is in the kit.

-s-
Old 05-26-2004 | 08:06 AM

I have a 2001CLK 320 it has the phone system timeport with cradel and voice option already installed. I purchased these upgrade parts (see pic). I was told that was all I needed to upgrade to the V60. When my friend (MB Tech) was doing the install at his house he told me and showed me that the cable that was contected to the timeport brain was too big to connect to the v60 brain and that I was missing the cord that ran from the trunk to the back of the radio unit.... I know he has been trying to find the part but has had no luck cause the dealer really doesn't do those types of upgrades. I will read him what you wrote me and post back but in the mean time can you see what I have (in the pic) and let me know if their is anything you can see that I could be missing. Keeping in mind that the timeport will work as of now with my car.

Thanks for your help...

Old 05-26-2004 | 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by cmykdesign
I have a 2001CLK 320 it has the phone system timeport with cradel and voice option already installed. I purchased these upgrade parts (see pic). I was told that was all I needed to upgrade to the V60. When my friend (MB Tech) was doing the install at his house he told me and showed me that the cable that was contected to the timeport brain was too big to connect to the v60 brain and that I was missing the cord that ran from the trunk to the back of the radio unit.... I know he has been trying to find the part but has had no luck cause the dealer really doesn't do those types of upgrades. I will read him what you wrote me and post back but in the mean time can you see what I have (in the pic) and let me know if their is anything you can see that I could be missing. Keeping in mind that the timeport will work as of now with my car.

Thanks for your help...

I am unfamiliar with any "cord that runs from the back of the trunk to the back of the radio unit".

It goes to figure that if your timeport works, then you have all the cords to make it work.

If you have all the cords to make the timeport work, then you have all the cords to make a v60 work... except one doesn't fit in to your PSE. So to me, that's your only problem.

That one cord that doesn't fit, you can remove from the cable and plug the next cable in, and if the gender is wrong, you can use a gender changer. You will not have power for your compensator if you do that though, because that cord that does not fit, it just taps off power for the compensator. So you can just leave the compensator out of the loop.

Or you can just order the cord. Or a "completer kit" which is about $200 and should have those parts.

But the "cord from the trunk to the back of the radio" is a new one to me.

-s-
Old 05-27-2004 | 03:45 PM

ok thanks for your (extended) help! I read this to my friend while he was at work. He said he would check it out (kit install instructions avoiding WIS). Also he was going to check on the completer kit. Thanks, Im sure you gave him more to work with!
Thats why I love this forum
Old 05-27-2004 | 04:56 PM

I was searching EBay and I found an auction and the guy lists 2 part numbers.. Could this be the unknow part number

scroll down untill you see the picture.. says Y cable.. I should have this booster. right?... if I already have a timeport kit installed in the car.

ebay link
Old 05-28-2004 | 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
This is my auction.

From what someone told me, the p/n is

"Y" Cable - P/N Q6820468
Old 05-28-2004 | 12:57 AM

sweeet! I will find out tomorrow if its what I need. The parts dept. at MB could not trace it without a number so maybe this part number will help.
Old 05-28-2004 | 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was searching EBay and I found an auction and the guy lists 2 part numbers.. Could this be the unknow part number

scroll down untill you see the picture.. says Y cable.. I should have this booster. right?... if I already have a timeport kit installed in the car.

Just a matter of semantics... you do not have a "booster" (even though the cable may say "booster" on it... it's from pre-2000 systems which actually had boosters). You have a "compensator" which accounts for the wiring in the car... to the tune of 3-5dB. Generally a booster will increase the wattage output of the transmitter.

So what I was saying is... the Y cable taps into the power going to the PSE (brain) and feeds power to the compensator (booster), which you can leave out.

-s-
Old 05-28-2004 | 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sweeet! I will find out tomorrow if its what I need. The parts dept. at MB could not trace it without a number so maybe this part number will help.
Whoa... the list price on that cable is ... $72! Or thereabouts.

I can get you one way cheaper than that, or try and win that eBay auction. The completer kit is a bit more, but at least it comes with a bracket and the trim pieces for inside the center console.

-s-
Old 05-30-2004 | 03:04 PM

hey Im still waiting to hear back from my friend at mercedes. If I cant get it from him. I will definitely (!) buy that part from you..

Thanks for all your help..!!!
Old 06-03-2004 | 06:15 PM

So what I was saying is... the Y cable taps into the power going to the PSE (brain) and feeds power to the compensator (booster), which you can leave out.
scorchie,
so... since I have a 2001 CLK which doesnt use the booster which the S cord taps into what the heck (lol) plugs into the brain? What ever the cord is can I buy it from you so I can make it work. I see you live in CA.. I will be moving there in 20days from NC. If I pay you can you install this for me? I will be moving to Pasadena (old pasadena near the mall).
Old 06-04-2004 | 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

scorchie,
so... since I have a 2001 CLK which doesnt use the booster which the S cord taps into what the heck (lol) plugs into the brain? What ever the cord is can I buy it from you so I can make it work. I see you live in CA.. I will be moving there in 20days from NC. If I pay you can you install this for me? I will be moving to Pasadena (old pasadena near the mall).
I didn't say it doesn't use it... it doesn't NEED it, so you can leave it out. And it's NOT a booster, it's a compensator. A booster is a term generally reserved for something that takes the signal, then transmits it again at a higher power (say, 3 watts).

I have the cord here... I can install it for you. However, I live 300 miles from Pasadena...if you want to take a trip up, you might like some of the things we have going on here. You can make the drive in 4 hours!

I'll post pics of the completer kit in a bit.

-s-