CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Driver seat not working after movement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 CLK 350/. 2009 CLK 350/2005 Both White
Driver seat not working after movement

I will add there was a bottle of soda wedge under the module and the seat . It may have crashed it casing internal damage to the under the seat module.
My son started to adjust drivers seat when all of a sudden it stopped. The passenger side works so I guess the fuse is not the problem . There is no clicking noise when you touch the buttons
My 1st thought is the switch how do you test that ? there is a module under the seat how do you test that? What is the best testing system ?
Can I take the switch off the passenger side and attached it to the driver side so test the validity of the switch .....
I will add there was a bottle of soda wedge under the module and the seat . It may have crashed it casing internal damage to the under the seat module.
[img]file:///C:/Users/JAY~1.KAR/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg[/img]

Last edited by karayjay; 07-05-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Before commenting further, on how to diagnose/troubleshoot on your driver side power seat problem, there are 2 fuses you need to check.

As shown below, the power to your left seat adjustments, are protected by 25 amp fuses in positions 6 and 7, in fuse box F4 (which is located in your trunk).

I strongly recommend checking these fuses, buy pulling them out and doing a complete visual inspection of their condition. That's because, just a performing a visual inspection of the fused element is sometimes insufficient, where the culprit has been some dissimilar metal corrosion, between the fuse and it's socket.

Last edited by Serndipity; 07-04-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:57 PM

The fuses are fine in the trunk. I took the module on the passenger side which is good when swapped to the driver’s side does not work or even click when you hit the door control switch why??? Is it the module which is expensive risk …they both are getting power drivers and passenger module…I tested the motors they are good. Im so confused on why when I swap seat module a known good will not work on the other side yet the connections are the same..
Old 07-04-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'02 CLK 320 2000 clk320
Maybe something is stuck in the tracks. Coins fall out of my pockets and get under the seat all the time.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
When a seat is completely nonadjustable, in addition to checking the aforementioned fuses that power the N32 seat controllers, another initial trouble shooting step should also be to check the fuse that powers the associated N69 door control module.

That's because, as shown below, the voltage-coded signals from the power seat switches (S91/1, S92/2) are read into the associated door control modules (N69/1, N69/2). The door control modules (N69/1, N69/2) then send a CAN-Bus message to the associated ESA control modules (N32/1, N32/2) which actuates the seat adjustment motors. Note: Unless the seat switch receives 12 - 14 volt vehicle power, from the door controller module, it can not provide the necessary voltage encoded outputs back.

The power to your driver side door controller is protected by a 30 amp fuses in position 8, in fuse /relay box F1 (which is located in your driver side engine bay).

If that fuse is good, do any of your seat functions operate (e.g. memory button settings, seat up/down, seat back)?

Do all the other door controller module functions operate correctly (e.g. adjusting the power window, side mirrors etc.)?

Last edited by Serndipity; 07-04-2018 at 05:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ededdeddie (04-07-2024)
Old 07-04-2018, 09:20 PM

Fuse are fine and the other items associated the those fuses work. I took the door switch for the pass and attach to the driver nothing no movement .. I will say this that the memory buttons 1,2,3 on the pass side with the original drivers adjustment buttons when pushed move the mirrors.. The 30 amp fuse is good remember with test light the module shows it is getting power 2 big wires . What is that module N69/1 is that between the door switch and the under the seat module n32/1 ? where is that located maybe that is bad that is why either side module wont work N32/2 or n32/1 ..Where is n69/2 located?

Last edited by karayjay; 07-05-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:57 AM

I’ll mention this one more time just in case the driver side which is the problem side when you hit the memory buttons the Miirror does work On the passenger side but they don’t move on the driver side I don’t know if that gives you any hints but none of the other controls work I’m thinking maybe I should just buy the under the seat module I think that begins with an N69/1 or something and then the other module which is the N32/1.It can only be either the door switch fuses or one of the two modules

Last edited by karayjay; 07-05-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:26 PM

So for some reason I don’t know why I went to work on my car again today and I noticed I had the module from the passenger side and the driver side and I said to myself all since I’m buying when I got to put the other one back to where it really belongs. For the fun of it I hit the switch on the passenger side and it started moving all the driver side seat. So the scenario was the switch on the right side door now moves the driver seat because it has that passenger module underneath the drivers seat some how the are linked together. Now I’m going to put the original back and see what happens and post you guys later but for now I’m going to adjust the seat to whrere my daughter can use the car. I will say this I did pull all the fuses out and I pushed him back in I am wondering if I put the modules back to where they belong the seat start working again and that weird fix that I read about where people pull the fuses and put the fuse back in and suddenly things start to work again is true I’ll post it in a few minutes and let you guys know what happened once I put the modules back in the original locations where they belong. So if you ever want to test a seat module the swap test will work......

Last edited by karayjay; 07-05-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
karayjay....as I follow your journey, when a specific power seat is completely inoperative, it's usually because there is a power supply issue, to either the N69 door or the N32 ESA control modules. The fuse checks I suggested, only verify that the primary supply circuits (e.g. circuit 30, that supply constant power) have not short circuited and blown. However, this does not verify, that a branch circuit that splits off of circuit 30, is not a problem. In particular, the 15R power supply circuit, that supplies power based on the position of the key, that the ESA system requires, may still be suspect.

At this time, dollars to doughnuts, the simplified explanation of the ESA system shown in post #5, suggest that there is a fault condition, either with your N69 door control module, the N32 control module or the associated wiring.

IMHO opinion, purchasing substitute modules is not a good strategy to resolve the puzzle. That's because........

-During W208 production, MB made numerous operational/feature upgrades, where module operational characteristics were significantly revised and new part numbers were issued.
-Guesswork often just replaces a good module, w/o solving the issue and just adds to the repair expenses.
-Version coding, that supplies the necessary firmware, matching the specific vehicle equipment configuration, may need updating.

BTW, the location of N69 module you asked about, is located in the door, behind the interior panel. I can send you a link, that has a video, that shows hot to access this controller.

In your initial post you asked 'what is the best way to test the ESA system'. At this time, it seems that getting a report of the stored ESA diagnostic trouble codes, from a workshop that has the MB STAR diagnostic system, makes sense. This would narrow down the puzzle, to items that you could further troubleshoot, by manipulating specific connectors and taking specific voltage or resistance measurements.

Also noticed your updated edit, regarding the jammed soda bottle. With age, the wiring in these otherwise very reliable W208s, is quite fragile (e.g. broken wires, vehicle grounds, short circuits etc.). FYI, I've included below, additional details, illustrating the numerous N32 connections.

Last edited by Serndipity; 07-05-2018 at 08:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ChineyPelon (07-10-2020)
Old 07-06-2018, 09:03 AM

WOW great help full pics !!! Well it turns out the the N32/1 module got crushed by a soda bottle and need to be replaced that is all ..
Old 04-07-2024, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 mercedes benz clk320
Driver seat stuck after letting passenger out

Any tips you can give me to tryin to fix my driver seat I pulled it forward to let back passenger out then put it back and it didn’t retract back it’s Stuck in the forward position. My knees hit the dash when I drive very uncomfortable lol please help. It’s able to recline back and forth but that’s it

Able to recline but doesn’t slide back
Old 04-11-2024, 09:58 AM

For me there was something stuck underneath. It was a water bottle. My kid plays basketball and it got jammed up there so check for anything stopping it. After that, you gotta start looking into the motors unfortunately. Each motor has a different function. You should have three up down tilt forward and back.

It sounds like one of those motors is not working or not getting power that’s where you start.

But honestly check if there’s anything that rolled underneath like what happened with me. It was just a stupid water bottle. if it is a motor, the best thing to do is remove the seat. Should be 45 bolts. Remove the connections and then remove the motor that handles whatever function is not working.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:59 AM

Oh, I almost forgot. Make sure it’s not the control on the door. And see if you can use the memory feature to get it to go back forget about pushing the knobs forward and backwards are up and down. See if you can just hit the memory button, which will put it in a default saved Adjustment. This way you’ll know whether the motors are good or if it’s the switch on the door this is all a process of elimination.