CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W208 soft top FRUSTRATION!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 1999
W208 soft top FRUSTRATION!

Hi, sorry for the CAPS but it is frustrating trying to figure this one out but here is my story.

Roof will not open automatically, open handle, windows go down, pull switch, light blinks (3Hz) nothing happens, roll bar does not retract. Checked Luggage cover switch at N52 plug and okay. Not sure how to check trunk lid micro switch.
After opening the roof manually all is well, I close the hydraulic valve and the roof (and roll bar) behave exactly as they should. Everything works and I hear that wonderful "bing" chime.
Headrests do not behave and could be related. Headrests go up and down with switch but do not automatically stop. They do not move when trying to open roof. I have checked the micro switches at the headrest frame and both go to ground when raising and lowering. Maybe normal behaviour but not sure.
I get a B1650-001 micro switch position not plausible message on my Autel scanner, and someone said it was the roll bar micro switches and again not sure.
The only switch I can think of is the one in the top of the windshield, when watching the process on the Autel scanner I open the handle and it goes from closed/locked to closed/unlocked. Could that be where the issue is?
But the windows go down so it must see something.
Any help appreciated.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
CLK 230 Convertible 1999
Hi Andy,

I had a similar issue https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...p-problem.html Your frustration is very understandable

Serndipity's diagnostic tables helped me find the faulty switch after 18 months of trying everything I could think of. The roof has worked perfectly ever since.

Good Luck