CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W208 - Drivers RHD Window Issues Since Door Control Module Swapped

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 12:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208 CLK Cabrio 230K
W208 - Drivers RHD Window Issues Since Door Control Module Swapped

Hi Folks,

On my 2000, CLK Cab, my drivers side window stopped working. I took it to an ex Mercedes Mechanic who has the STAR machine and he diagnosed the issue with the door control module. I sourced a new part direct from Mercedes which has been fitted and coded to the car, however, the guy I took it to said he had some issues getting it to talk to the roof control module (suspects it faulty).

As a result, whilst the window works in fashion, it doesn't work correctly. In order for it to go down, I have to half press the button down and for it to go up, I have to fully press the button up. What is very strange is when the window is part down, if I do opt to press the switch fully down, the window goes up! Clearly something isn't right. It seems that fully down makes the window want to go up!

Just wondered if anybody has seen this behavior before.

Interestingly, I have also noticed when operating the hood that as part of the close procedure, the rear headrests raise, this never happened before.

Thanks...
Old 03-21-2020, 06:33 AM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Try resetting everything. It's an easy "first step".

I got this from another member:

Preparation Steps:
1. Make sure your steering wheel is straight.
2. Make sure your windows are all the way up
3. Make sure your sun roof is completely closed (if you have one)
4. Make sure your parking brake is released.
6. Turn off your stereo and make sure you have your stereo's Anti-theft code.
7. Turn off your heat/AC blower
8. Turn off your lights
9. Make sure your doors are UNLOCKED.

Now, disconnect battery 30 secs and then reconnect.
Get in car close the door and turn the key to position 2 (Just before you start the engine but do not start it)

1. Resetting your windows: Bring down both windows at the same time by holding the switches just before the click that brings them down automatically.
Once both windows are all the way down make both switches click by pressing them all the way down and hold them for 3 secs
- (This lets the ECU learn that that is the end of the window track and it records it in memory).
- Do the same for closing the windows by holding both switches and making them click once the windows are all the way up.
2. Turn on your blower and make both sides go to 72 deg (if you have this type of heater control) by pressing both up and down buttons at the same time.
- This will calibrate the ECU
3. Turn on your stereo and enter you stereo code.
4. Pull the sun roof all the way back and all the way forward then up and then done.

6. Turn all of you lights on and back off, including your fog lights.

7. Turn the key back to position 0.

8. Turn on your engine. You will get 2 malfunctions, your ABS and ESP lights will be on and must be calibrated.

9. Calibrate your ABS and ESP systems by turning the steering wheel all the way to your RIGHT and then all the way to your LEFT,
then bring it back to center. Notice the two yellow lights disappear from you dashboard.

10. Let your car run in idle for about 5 minutes and then take it for a spin.
- Remember your ECU is still getting all the readings from all the sensors on your car so drive slowly first then faster... and so on..
- you're basically teaching your ECU how to handle your car.

G/L
Old 03-21-2020, 09:37 AM

W208 CLK Cabrio 230K
Thanks... After playing with it today, I can now state that the headrests are not raising lowering with the hood.

The only abnormal behaviour is that the drivers window only lowers on the first down position not fully down. If the window is already partially down then the window goes up; bizarre!
Old 03-21-2020, 12:06 PM

1998 CLK 320
That sounds like it could be a problem with the switch itself, but our cars have some odd electrical engineering. IMO, they put too many components on the same circuits/controllers.

G/L with the window.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:10 PM

W208 CLK Cabrio 230K
Fixed!!! After performing the window reset procedure:

1)Ignition to position 2
2)Press window button halfway down to lower window and then hold for 5 seconds.
3) press window button halfway up to raise window and then hold for 5 seconds.
4) Fixed

This resolved the issue with a full press of the button either failing to lower the window or raising it.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:38 AM

1998 CLK 320
Good to hear!
Old 08-10-2022, 10:42 AM

W208 CLK Cabrio 230K
Well... 2 years on this issue has re-appeared but now I cannot reset the window by using the reset procedure.

The drivers window works on the down cycle by using the halfway down switch position. I can only raise the window using the fully pressed up switch position. I have attempted reset but to no avail. I pulled the battery for a couple of minutes and tried again but still no joy.

Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2024, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 clk 240
Coding

Originally Posted by convicted
That sounds like it could be a problem with the switch itself, but our cars have some odd electrical engineering. IMO, they put too many components on the same circuits/controllers.

G/L with the window.
. I think Mercedes coded it or set it up wrong when they installed it go back to them and tell them what's happening