CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

w208 Top Will Not Go Down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320 W208
w208 Top Will Not Go Down

I have searched this Forum and can not seem to find my particular issue regarding my top operation..
My 2002 CLK 320 top went down about half way then it stopped. I manually raised and lowered it. The red switch light worked (blinked and lit up) for a while then it quit lighting up all together. I replaced the relay and checked the fuses which were all ok. The trunk cover lid is closed. All this and still the top doesn't work. I assume that it could be a bad switch somewhere but I do not know where they are all located. I contacted Klaus at Top Hydraulics and he suggested it might be an electrical issue. Anyone else experience a similar top issue or any advise as what to do next?
Old 08-23-2022, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK430
Is the gray cover in the trunk that separates the space for the top from the trunk contents closed? I had unlatched mine for some reason and then noticed the top stopped working later that day. It took me a while to figure out the two were linked.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
CLK 230 Convertible 1999
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

The 208 hydraulic roof system is complex and so difficult to diagnose and fix. I spent 18 months tinkering with my system before I found and replaced the sensor that was causing the malfunction. It has worked brilliantly ever since, I'm pleased to say.

My first tip would be to spend a couple of evenings studying the threads on this subject on here. Especially this one: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-failures.html

Here is how I solved my roof thanks to very helpful advice from Serndipity - https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...p-problem.html

There are some very helpful videos on YouTube especially from TopHydraulics and AutoRepairGuys.

BTW, sometimes opening and shutting the roof manually can jumpstart the system.

Good luck.