CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Driver's seat not working - dead motor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to be a CLK430
Driver's seat not working - dead motor?

Hey guys,
My driver's seat will not move forward and backward; the base of the does not respond to the power seat control. I'm pretty sure that there is nothing obstructing the seat path. Any idea how difficult it is to replace the motor and how expensive the part is?
Thanks!!

Last edited by nickv; 10-26-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:22 PM
JMA

CLK 430; Porsche 993
Have you checked the fuses? I know for the front passenges seat, the forward / back controls fuse is in the smaller fuse box in the trunk. The fuse box under the hood has a listing of whihc fuses do what.....
Old 10-26-2004, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
lemme know if this works for you because my passenger seat doesn't go forward/back OR up/down.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:50 PM

2001 CLK320
something to check out is the power seat control (pictogram switch).

There are switches for each of the 10-way positions that are soldered directly to a PC board and it is known that the solder joints can fail, causing non operation of certain functions. This has occurred on the W210 series and the W208 looks like the same switch module is utilized.

This is especially true if the switches get pushed too hard and stress the solder joint. The switches run about $125-$150 or so...the whole control (w/ the memory buttons) unit is replaced as an assembly.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Alrighty, so looks like I will be checking the fuses in the trunk first. To check the switch box I suppose I need to remove the door panel, right Hal?

Thanks alot guys! I'll post my findings!
Old 10-27-2004, 02:33 PM

2001 CLK320
probably will have to remove door panel to get that switch out.

Good idea to check fuses (and figure out why they blew out if that's the case)

also, under the seat, there's a bunch of connectors & wire looms - make sure those didn't get disconnected or a wire broke off. If something got wedged under the seat it could interfere with the looms when the seat travels back and forth (such as when you fold the seat forward to get into the back seat).

I've got multi-contour seats on mine, so there's even more plugs under there, as well as the pneumatic lines for the air bladders.

It's a process of elimation -- determine if power is getting to the switch (fuses), making sure the connectors didn't come out or wiring got broken, if the switch works, and lastly that the seat motors didn't fail.

I haven't had this problem myself, but hopefully these will point you in the right direction.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Thanks for the detailed troubleshooting steps Hal! I'll try them this weekend!

Trending Topics

Old 10-30-2004, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Well I checked the fuses and they are all fine. Then I moved back to the seat itself and tested all of the other functions. All work properly except the seat bottom moving forward and back. With my ear to the bottom of the seat and pressing the button to move, I hear what sounds like a click as if it is trying to move but cannot. This noise is present in both directions.

I tried to get as far under the seat as possible and made sure that nothing is obstructing the path, it seems clear to me. I also searched for cut wires, but to no avail.

Based on this, I think I can eliminate the switch in the door being bad. Now the question is, will the motor accept the input from the switch if it is dead, but just not move? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-01-2004, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by nickv
Well I checked the fuses and they are all fine. Then I moved back to the seat itself and tested all of the other functions. All work properly except the seat bottom moving forward and back. With my ear to the bottom of the seat and pressing the button to move, I hear what sounds like a click as if it is trying to move but cannot. This noise is present in both directions.

I tried to get as far under the seat as possible and made sure that nothing is obstructing the path, it seems clear to me. I also searched for cut wires, but to no avail.

Based on this, I think I can eliminate the switch in the door being bad. Now the question is, will the motor accept the input from the switch if it is dead, but just not move? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
If a fuse were out, at least two motors would not operate... I believe the front/back function is paired with the cushion rear up/down function.

With the seat cushion raised all the way, you can peer under the seat and see the wires that lead from the seat controller to each motor. I believe the front/back connector will have red/brown, white/black and a single blue wire.

Do you have a multimeter? You can check the voltage of the white/black wires on this connector (with it still plugged in to the controller). There are only four sets, you could probably check them all.

-s-
Old 11-01-2004, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by nickv
With my ear to the bottom of the seat and pressing the button to move, I hear what sounds like a click as if it is trying to move but cannot. This noise is present in both directions.
Same here
Old 11-02-2004, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
So I took it to the shop and the verdict is that the track assembly needs to be replaced. The cost for parts and labor is $1017. This includes replacing the track, motors, and other stuff. I'm thinking I could get this done cheaper elsewhere or at least get the parts from a 3rd party. To get the track assembly replaced only, the labor will be twice as much, which will be $960, but will use the old motors. Doesn't seem like a good solution.

Any ideas? I'm really not interested in spending anywhere close to that.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:20 PM

CLK 430
Seems like the track should be something that is salvagable from a wrecked CLK in a junkyard... Get on the internet, find junkyards and start calling. You will probably be able to get it for less than $100 shipped to your door. I have done this with Parts for my Jeep in the past.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
If it costs that much, my solution will be to not fix it :-D
Old 08-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 clk55 amg
Ok so I've read this back and forth to see what could be the problem. My driver seat on my clk55 01 wasn't going back or fourth and my passenger seat goes up but doesn't go down. I checked the fuse in the trunk and one of the fuses were bad so I replaced it. Went back to the driver seat and now the seat goes forward all the way and even goes back but stops exactly at the point where it wouldn't go back when the fuse was bad, won't go any further. I check and nothing is in the way can't figure it out. And the passenger still the seat is all the way up and it won't go down so whomever sits in the passenger has to be a small person. Any idea what could be wrong. Should I just take out both seats and start from there or do I buy the motor... I don't know why so many electrical problems with this car geeeez. Any info that has not been given is helpful Thank you.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:07 PM

e500
Originally Posted by babyjrluv
Ok so I've read this back and forth to see what could be the problem. My driver seat on my clk55 01 wasn't going back or fourth and my passenger seat goes up but doesn't go down. I checked the fuse in the trunk and one of the fuses were bad so I replaced it. Went back to the driver seat and now the seat goes forward all the way and even goes back but stops exactly at the point where it wouldn't go back when the fuse was bad, won't go any further. I check and nothing is in the way can't figure it out. And the passenger still the seat is all the way up and it won't go down so whomever sits in the passenger has to be a small person. Any idea what could be wrong. Should I just take out both seats and start from there or do I buy the motor... I don't know why so many electrical problems with this car geeeez. Any info that has not been given is helpful Thank you.
The same thing its happening to me the fuse was bad I replaced it and the seat moves forward all the way but when I put it back it stops at the same place as before does not go back all the way, can the seat be removed with out getting the seat to move all the way back and did you find the solution to the problem ? and can someone post a link for a diy for removing the seat and motor thanks ...
Old 07-17-2010, 09:08 PM

11 E550 Conv
i've had seat problems before, sometimes tapping on the motor while activating the switch can jar it loose. also, if the seat works, but stops at the same point, there could be something in the mechanism, like a coin, that is jamming the mechanism. might be worth removing the seat so you can turn it over and make sure that isn't the case.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:12 PM

pick up
You must check the fuses man. That's the first thing to do.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM

merc s 350
i got s350 2006 model !
its forward and upward movememt of seats has stopped ! rest everything is working fine...i hear clicking sounds below the seat !
any ideas whats wrong ??