CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

About to Get a CLK, YES or NO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to Get a CLK, YES or NO?

Gentlemen,

I'm new to MBworld so just saying what's up. Congrats on owning the sexiest benz available IMO. I am 22, graduating in May, with a good paying job lined up, so I'm about to get a new car. The 1st gen CLK 320 or 430 are my top choices right now. followed by the Infiniti G35 coupe, Acura CL type S, and LExus IS300. Obviously i have to get a used, or cert. preowned CLK since i am looking at 1st gen. Here is my dilemma.

I'm guessing These next few years are going to be my prime, so i really don't mind an impractical car like this, but at the same time I dont want my whole paycheck to go to paying for this Benz and maintaining it. The warranties available for these benzes are very limited since they are used. Rumor has it that the 1st gen CLK is very problematic. Is this true? how much does the average problem cost to fix? What's the most expensive fix that you all have had? If i get this car i couldn't see myself giving it up for anytime soon, so i would probably hold on to it until i got married and what not. is this car reliable or no? If i buy one with 40k, will i be screwed as I am paying for this myself? How high can i take the odometer before needing to replace this car? I know you can't find the prestige that comes with a benz anywhere else but I am a bit concerned with the practicality/reliability of the car a bit. does this mean i should should i just step down to Lexus or Acura?

I want to hear ur CLK praises, regrets, problems, what should i expect?
Old 12-26-2004, 09:08 PM

Another few quick questions:

1. Should i stay away from any certian production year CLK's?

2. Is the 320 more reliable than the 430?

3. Honestly, take away the fact that most of you probably lust over your CLK's like i plan to, do you consider your CLK's to be of good build and quality?

Thank you gentlemen.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:45 PM

CLK320
I'd say get the car. Go with a 2000 or up model, obviously the later the production year the better. I myself have a 98 CLK320 and it is generally reliable in the manner it has never left me stranded. I have had several expensive repairs but not too many out of line with a car that is driven like a Nascar with 108K miles.

My second most expensive repair was the replacement of the passenger side exhaust manifold as it broke apart inside. That was really the only item that broke that I feel shouldn't have. The original ac compressor broke at about 90K miles and was replaced, which is expected, and the original starter is still strong in the car.

Transmission still shifts smooth and strong and engine sounds new. The 320 and 430 are just as reliable as each other. I would opt for the v8 though cause I'm about your age and I beat myself up every day for going with the 320. I think my CLK is of good quality, but I realize it has 108K miles and needs some upkeep.

MAKE SURE YOU GET A WARRANTY THOUGH!!! THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST!

Last edited by 3199cc; 12-26-2004 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 3199cc
MAKE SURE YOU GET A WARRANTY THOUGH!!! THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST!
Thanks for the suggestions. Most warranties are limited, should i buy one with the longest warranty possible? thanks.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Yes, buy a warranty. I dont have one and it sux paying $1000 for a leaky axle. My 320 has about 93k and is still running really well, i bought it about 6 months ago and it seems like it hasnt been taken very good care of. I spent days trying to polish out swirl marks with pretty good results but had to put the time and $$ into supplies. Not all the rumors are true about the CLK...altho the squeaky interior is annoying. I say go for it man, it has way more style than the Acura and the Nissan Z (oops imean Infinity G35). CLKs are also pretty rare. Not like Italian cars or AMG cars, but they are way more of a special sighting than the Acura or the Infinity.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:33 AM

True indeed. I love the exclusivity of MB. I just know that the japanese models i'm considering would DEFINITELY be cheaper to maintain and not as troublesome. I cant see myself coming out of the pocket too much for this vehicle, as much know i would love it.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by King320
Yes, buy a warranty. I dont have one and it sux paying $1000 for a leaky axle. My 320 has about 93k and is still running really well, i bought it about 6 months ago and it seems like it hasnt been taken very good care of.
Wow, you bought a CLK with that many miles on it?? that's bold, how well is it running? Any serioius problems?? What are the odds of a CLK making it to 150k?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:56 AM

CLK320
rebuilt parts

If you live in an urban area it is more than likely you can get your hands on a plethora of rebuilt parts, or part rebuilders. For example, in my car I have put in a rebuilt starter, rebuilt AC compressor, and if need be, my axles could be sent to a rebuilder for a fraction of the cost of a replacement axle.

Reliability is on par with OEM as I have yet to have a problem with any rebuilt component as they are all from reputable shops and offer warranties on their rebuilt parts.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:48 AM

2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
I have a 2002 CLK 430 that I bought nearly a year ago and it had 19k miles on it when I bought it since the previous owner rarely drove it due to his tour schedule. My car was, and is, in showroom quality when I bought it and was actually on the showroom when I got it.
Since buying it I have put some miles on it, on a couple of road trips etc., and it now has 37k miles. The only problem I have had is an AC motor and it was covered under warranty.
I bought it through the dealer and it qualified as a certified preowned so it came with a 100k mile warranty.
My suggestion is to look around and you can find something similar to what I did and you will be as happy as I am.
I met the guy who traded mine in and it was his first nice car so he pampered it like I do. Look well and you can find one.
Good luck.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Very good odds.

Originally Posted by AlexusGullwing
Wow, you bought a CLK with that many miles on it?? that's bold, how well is it running? Any serioius problems?? What are the odds of a CLK making it to 150k?

No huge probs other than the axle, and the sunroof is broken right now ($1500 fix) but i can overlook that for now. Most of the problems were cosmetic (Swirl marks and paint chips) i'm going to have to repaint the hood and had to have two wheels straightened. But overall...not bad for $15,300
Old 12-27-2004, 06:30 PM

Damn i considered going that route b/c it would be a lil easier on my pockets, but i think i'll forego the high cost of maintaining a high-miles car by paying more now for something with a little more life left i guess How long do u plan to hold onto it for? I wouldnt' mind getting a CLK of "age", but i'll probably pay the difference in prices right away huh?
Old 12-27-2004, 06:38 PM

2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
I'll probably keep it for another year unless someone comes up and offers me an amount I couldn't refuse. I'm not one to keep a car too long so I expect I have a year or less longer to keep it, but haven't really thought about it. Usually it's not something I plan in advance, I just see something I want and go for it. Therefore, who knows how long I'll keep it.
I'm certain I will when the new M-3 comes out, but I hear that will be in 2007, so I may have another car in between.

I'd HIGHLY recommend going with a certified pre-owned--Starmarked.

Where do you live? Do you have a big selection of these cars?
Old 12-27-2004, 07:59 PM

2005 E55
Be wary of the total cost to own...

Make sure you have reserve $$ for repairs/maintenance/insurance. At your age, if you get any moving violations or accidents, your insurance will skyrocket. Also, with an older car, it may be difficult to get an affordable extended warranty.

You are 22 and have lots of years ahead of you to upgrade. Don't let your first car be a money pit for you. German cars are nice, but notoriously expensive to maintain.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by SteveHI
Make sure you have reserve $$ for repairs/maintenance/insurance. At your age, if you get any moving violations or accidents, your insurance will skyrocket. Also, with an older car, it may be difficult to get an affordable extended warranty.

You are 22 and have lots of years ahead of you to upgrade. Don't let your first car be a money pit for you. German cars are nice, but notoriously expensive to maintain.
Jddumas Im in Boston, so there are plenty of starmarked cars as i have searched the MB site for them. It also sounds like you're a bit more of a spender than I am, or maybe you just hold cars for the short term. I plan to hold mine for maybe 5 years, and then sell it to get whatever supersedan's hot at the time. M5 perhaps?

And i would leave my 320 or 430 bone stock for a couple of years. I actually like the look of the stock 430.

I guess the only question left to answer is this: without a warranty, how much would you estimate i'd spend on repairs each year?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:11 PM

2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
The M-5 would be a great choice, I have a friend that has one and loves it. The E-55 would be another great choice. The guy that traded my car in got an E-55 and it is awesome. I met the guy and he said he absolutely loves it, but like when he had my car, he doesn't get to drive it a great deal.
Yeah typically I don't buy new cars simply because I don't keep them long and don't want to take the hit on the new ones by selling soon. However, I do have my sights on a new M-3 and will probably keep it.
As far as estimating repairs, I couldn't advise since the only repair I had was under warranty. I would still recommend a starmarked car. You can basically get one for what you could get most other cars and in my case, have 81k miles of warranty left which is more than you would get if buying new.
Good luck and please let me know if I can help you further. I travel a great deal for work and always check out the car lots, so I can keep an eye open for ya!
Old 12-28-2004, 02:36 AM

CLK is a great car

The CLK is a great car. It is probably one of Benz's most reliable vehicles. Its very soild. The engine is very reliable. I talked to alot of the other techs at my shop and they agree that the CLK is solid and reliable. They just warn me to make sure to keep an eye on that crank pulley. They like to come apart and chew up the timing cover. You'd be looking at a $4000 repair. The tranny is very solid. Other than that not much really goes wrong with those cars. Benz's are very hard on brakes too but they stop very well. The 430 has lots of power. Addicting very addicting. The 320 has some power too but not like the 430. I wish i had enough money to get the CLK 55. AWESOME CAR! Ohh and if you do get a 430 try to get one with command. I kinda kick myself in the *** for not getting getting that option. Now i'm stuck trying to retrofit a command into my 430. I also have a 03 IS 300 5spd. Its a cool car. Very fun to drive. More practical because of the two extra doors. Good quality. Very reliable. 22,000 miles and no problems yet. But the car is a bit anemic. Needs a bit more horsepower. Doesn't have anywhere near the torque as a CLK 430. If your gonna get a CLK 430 go and do it. They are fun as hell. But as everyone says get a Starmark warranty. And if you can become friends with a Mercedes mechanic. Their knowledge and access to parts can become very valuable. If your not gonna get a CLK. Do some research. Road test all of them. Good luck
Old 12-28-2004, 02:49 AM

Thanks A lot and i appreciate the assistance. This board has been very helpful in my choice by the way. I've never gotten so much info so fast.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Almost a Member!

you know what sucks? deciding between a BMW E39 (97-03) 540i 6Spd and a W208 CLK430. I picked the BMW because it came in a 6spd but that's just me. both cars are just great cars. test drove both but i just really really needed the clutch.

sure it's a 2dr vs a 4dr but at the end, both are German panzers and very enjoyable but the 540i/6 is harder to find. Just thought i'd throw this idea out for you since it sounds like you are looking for a German cruizer and Porsche doesn't make one. Good luck and i'm actually thinking about selling the 540i and getting a CLK430... both look so damn good!

dan
Old 01-25-2005, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Buy a 2000+ CLK430. As long as it's under 60,000 miles you'll have a 100% chance of getting a Chrysler-Mercedes extended warranty through Lisa Lehrbaum at Courtesy Motors (800) 655-3535. If you call and get her answering machine, she usually takes a while to reply to voicemail so just try back in 10-15 minutes. We just got one for a 2000 S430 at 55,000 miles for $3,590. It's an EXCELLENT warranty in my opinion. 5 years or until the car hits 100,000 miles.

It does NOT cover: maintainance, services, items used in services, wear items like manual clutches, brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, belts, glass or plastic lenses, body and paint items including soft trim, snow plows, winches, and trailor hitches. I think this is a pretty good/reasonable list of exclusions. It covers all the electronics, and the airmatic suspension - the two things that often fail in the 2000 S-class...other warranties excluded one or both of them.

I'm not sure how things will go after 60,000 miles or older than 2000 because the 2nd newest car we have is my 98 with 95,000 miles and that's clearly out of the warranty picture.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If I were you I would get the G35 Coupe, but CLK isn't bad if you really want it. It looks good and performs well, just cost more to maintain and resale value is horrible.

-Bruce
Old 01-26-2005, 01:47 AM

I had a '98 CLK 320 and it was the best car I've ever had. Bought it with 20K and sold it with 100K and didn't have any major problems. I have an 05 E Class now and I miss the CLK.

One thing you might look into, a 320 with a chip feels pretty quick and handles better than the V8 cars due to the lower weight on the front axles and the smaller polar moment of inertia. It's also a heap cheaper.

The other cars you mentioned will never get noticed like the benz!
Old 01-26-2005, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208
I got a CLK next I will get a G35.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:45 PM

You won't be disappointed with the clk. I've had my 03 clk430a since 9/02, without any problems. Surspisingly, it has a much better ride than my 04 e500, which has also had 3 trips in to the dealer for repairs/recalls.