CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help: Replacing license plate bulbs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 11:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 AMG E53 Coupe 4Matic, 2015 smart fortwo Electric Drive
Question Help: Replacing license plate bulbs

I had two bulbs go out on me at virtually the same time. A headlight and a license plate bulb. I bought replacements at a local dealer and had the headlight changed in minutes. But for the life of me cannot figure out how to change the license plate bulb. I removed the two retaining screws from the rear trunk bevel that contains the two bulbs and their cover, but it seems fixed somehow still to the trunk lid. I cannot twist, pry, slide or bend this piece without fear of snapping it into pieces. There is no rear entry either, as the inside of the trunk lid is smooth all across the back of the lid.

This should be easy, no? So how do I do it? The owner's manual covers EVERY bulb--except this one!

2000 CLK430 Coupe
Old 01-03-2005, 10:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 AMG E53 Coupe 4Matic, 2015 smart fortwo Electric Drive
Thumbs up Here's How

I am going to reply to my own question, as I did the deed today by guess and by golly...

First, I removed the six retaining pins that held the liner onto the trunk lid. I used a pair of pliers to hold the head and pulled them out. Then, I took a small socket and undid the center peg that holds the light assembly on the trunk. I then unscrewed the two screws that hold the light assembly on the trunk. Pinching the plastic light assembly, I removed it from the trunk lid and then unfastened the two electric leads from it. I was then able to remove the old bulb and insert the new into the clip. I then simply reversed the procedure, placing the lamp assembly into the lid, fastening the lid assembly, and re-inserting the retaining pins into the trunk liner.

It took longer than ten minutes, but I imagine that's about how long it will take me the next time...
Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 430
CLK 430 License Plate Bulb

Thank you! I found your reply and did as you instructed. Took LONGER then ten minuets! However, with your help I got it done.

Again, Thank you.

Joey
Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
LOL. good job.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by fpuhan
First, I removed the six retaining pins that held the liner onto the trunk lid. I used a pair of pliers to hold the head and pulled them out. Then, I took a small socket and undid the center peg that holds the light assembly on the trunk. I then unscrewed the two screws that hold the light assembly on the trunk. Pinching the plastic light assembly, I removed it from the trunk lid and then unfastened the two electric leads from it. I was then able to remove the old bulb and insert the new into the clip. I then simply reversed the procedure, placing the lamp assembly into the lid, fastening the lid assembly, and re-inserting the retaining pins into the trunk liner.

It took longer than ten minutes, but I imagine that's about how long it will take me the next time...
When I had to replace a bulb, I removed liner and then, was able to remove and replace the bulb just using a needle nose pliers. Took less than 10 minutes.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 AM

2001 CLK55 AMG
I removed the liner as well to replace mine. With pliers it's easy. If a little outside the box.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:13 PM

2001 CLK 430
Yes, needle nose is the way to do it. If avoidable, do not try it at night like it. It is difficult finding those liner clips in the dark.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM

To replace the license plate bulb 2000 CLK430

You do not need to unscrew anything or remove the pins from the trunk lid liner. All you have to do is open your trunk, look to where the trunk latch is on the lid and slowly just pull the liner out a little. You will then see the light bulbs and will be able to replace. Remember, you do not need to unscrew anything or pull any pins out. It should take less than a minute to do. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The problem when using needle nose pliers when replacing this type glass cartridge tube bulb is getting a secure grip on the bulb.

If it's to much, the glass breaks and if it's to little, the bulb falls into the honey combed inter lid shell, which will be about impossible to retrieve (been there, done that).

Instead, use a plastic fuse puller made for glass tube fuses. Their cheap, ubiquitous (e.g. at hardware/auto stores, online, even staples) and bullet proof (e.g. properly/securely hold the bulb).

Google 'fuse puller'
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM

2001 CLK320
Thanks for the info guys.

Anyone have a part number for the license plate bulb?

I had the 'Lamp Defective, Check Lamps' message come on and found out it was my license plate bulb.

I'm just gonna replace both.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-
Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK430
Originally Posted by Mark L
Thanks for the info guys.

Anyone have a part number for the license plate bulb?

I had the 'Lamp Defective, Check Lamps' message come on and found out it was my license plate bulb.

I'm just gonna replace both.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-
Any Autozone would have been able to look that up for you, but for reference it's 6418LL.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 AM

2001 CLK320
Originally Posted by gun4hire
Any Autozone would have been able to look that up for you, but for reference it's 6418LL.
Thanks, appreciate it
Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 PM

2001 CLK320
Got the license plate bulbs put in this afternoon. The Sylvania 6411LL bulbs are what I used, $5.89 from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Things I learned:

It is nearly impossible to put the lights in by hand, as the area is extremely tight. I used a pair of curved needle nose pliers and was able to grasp one end of the festoon bulb and pry the contact point back enough for it to spring the bulb into place.

So for those who haven't done this, remove the 4 black plastic compression tabs and then go at it with the needle nose pliers.