CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Instrument Cluster Failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Cluster Failure?

The gear display and clock in my 2000 clk230k seems to have sections missing which means it is unreadable, like the pixels arent working.

Is there anything i can do to fix this problem?

I think something is loose or has a bad connection as i can give the display a whack and it will be fine for a while before going off again!

Help!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
.........do a search. very common problem. you need the entire cluster replaced.

ted
Old 01-24-2005, 06:58 AM

I know that MB dont do separate sections, clock, temp etc but is it possible to get it repaired by someone who deals with LCD etc?

The full cluster cant be cheap!

Thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It definitely sounds like a loose connection. I know MB only replaces the entire cluster, but I always say...if someone put it together, I can take it apart. Probably some solder that broke loose or some glue from the lcd lead that has failed. I would definitely give it a try if it were me before I shelled out 700 bucks for a new one. Or...check Ebay...they have clusters on there all the time. Maybe you can pick one up cheap and have it reprogrammed.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...........i hope you are correct, because it will save a lot of people a lot of hassle since this is common problem. I also agree with you that MB dealers simply replace things rather than trying to fix them. However, it this is a loose connection, then it is really odd that the loose connection seems a lot of cars and results in the alphabets being truncated rather than going off completely. What I mean is that the entire clock does not go out just half of a particular number, not even the entire number. Besides, when the temprature goes up, the truncated number sometimes re-appears. This happened to me 2 years ago and I asked the same questions you did and was told that there was no other solution than cluster replacement. Luckily my car was under warranty. So if you find a cheaper fix, I and many others will be very interested. Thanks.

Ted
Old 01-24-2005, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
There are two flexible printed circuits that go from the board to the LCDs on the left and right sides. The middle display does not use a flexible printed circuit, so it rarely goes bad.

These flexible printed circuits are GLUED to the main board and generally trying to remove the flexible printed circuit to repair it will destroy it, so you need to have a replacement at hand already. Generally what happens is excessive vibration (despite being held down by a piece of foam rubber which is supposed to dampen the vibrations) will cause traces on the flexible printed circuit to break. This usually happens at a weak point, which is right after the PC exits the rubber vibration dampener.

If you can repair the actual PC (esp. after you destroy it when removing it), you are an electronics god. If you can get a replacement PC, you are probably a parts supply god or are on intimate terms with someone from VDO.

If you're adventurous, you can replace the whole flexible PC link with something like wires, but it will require a lot of work because the other end of the flexible PC is attached to the LCD.

-s-
Old 01-24-2005, 11:12 PM

Well I guess I'm an electronics god because reattaching a PC circuit that is held on by glue is pretty simple (Then again I did work as a electrical technician for many a years in my younger days) All you need is a soldering iron and wax paper. No need to remove it....just re-heat it so that the glue adheres to the board. Maybe I should go into business of repairing clusters...
Old 01-24-2005, 11:22 PM

clk
My cluster does the same thing but when the car warms up they come back on
Old 01-24-2005, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TresX
Well I guess I'm an electronics god because reattaching a PC circuit that is held on by glue is pretty simple (Then again I did work as a electrical technician for many a years in my younger days) All you need is a soldering iron and wax paper. No need to remove it....just re-heat it so that the glue adheres to the board. Maybe I should go into business of repairing clusters...
Hmm, maybe you are an electronics god... but your reading skills need a little help!

I wrote that you are an electronics god if you can REPAIR THE PC (the flexible PC) after you destroy it by removing it. Attaching it or attaching one that has come off is easy... just a spot iron (or you can make-do with a soldering iron). But removing it, finding/fixing the broken traces (which is most of them) by using conductive paint, and reattaching it and having it all work... that's skillz.

Generally the glue doesn't fail because of the foam rubber block holding it in place. But yours might be different. I'm just reporting back my findings on about 15 broken ones, it all tended to be a broken PC.

Give it a try! You have nothing to lose, and you might be able to get it back to life. If you have a donor cluster with another good LCD, you might be able to salvage the flexible PC from that one (one that is not broken is a lot easier to remove without hurting it), with some patience.

-s-
Old 01-25-2005, 05:57 AM

Well...why would you detach it in the first place. When FPC's are usually damaged, it's usually only a couple of leads not all of them. Why wouldn't you keep it where it is and run some 12 guage or even splices of speaker wire directly from the lcd to the board?
Old 01-25-2005, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
My cluster does the same thing but when the car warms up they come back on

.........if what you think is the problem is actually the problem, can you explain why the missing alphabets and numbers dissappear in cold weather and re-appear when the car warms up?

ted
Old 01-25-2005, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208
my 01' did the same MB said it is common. They replaced under warranty @ 49k. Good luck
Old 01-25-2005, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TresX
Well...why would you detach it in the first place. When FPC's are usually damaged, it's usually only a couple of leads not all of them. Why wouldn't you keep it where it is and run some 12 guage or even splices of speaker wire directly from the lcd to the board?
12AWG? I hope you mean... 30 gauge...

Take your cluster apart and take a look, so we can be on even footing when we're discussing this. I think you're not completely understanding how the cluster is constructed, and if you take a look, it will be easier than me trying to describe it to you.

-s-
Old 01-25-2005, 11:16 PM

2002 CLK 430
same prob on an 02 430

its a pain in the ***.... can it be fixed manually? new part is too much!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:03 PM

CLK, ML320, 400E, 400SE
I was curious if anyone had successfully succeeded in repairing their failing cluster LCD's for the temp and shifter?

Needless to say, I'm suffering from the same problem.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Contact these guys...

http://www.beckmanntechnologies.com/

If they can't help you, you need a new cluster.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:43 AM

clk
Will the same miles show on the car if the cluster is changed?
Old 01-21-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 Silver CLK430
Nope, it's whatever the cluster had from the last vehicle or whatever the dealer has it programmed to at the Benz parts facility in Texas...