CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Has Anyone Removed Stickers or CLK Letters?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK430
Question Has Anyone Removed Stickers or CLK Letters?

Ok, this may sound a bit odd, but has anyone removed either 1. The airbag stickers from the visors 2. The "Press the brake pedal and shift to P before removing key" sticker right below the gear shifter.

I just hate stickers and I think they take away from the beauty of the car.

I also want to remove the CLK430 letters from the back of the car. Anyone who knows the CLK will know exactly what I'm driving.

So has anyone removed these and if so, did you jack anything up or leave an obvious mark where the sticker used to be? I want to get rid of all of these, but only if I can do it safely and not leave a mark.

Thanks again and enjoy the ride.

-David

Last edited by dmpocket; 02-09-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:48 PM

1999 CLK430
i always remove that brake sticker from my benz's. If there is any residue just clean it up with a damp rag. I hate when people drive cars with the warning/airbag stickers on the dash or glove compartment. The visor stickers stay because they are never down for anyone to see.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
CLK55, CL500, Q45
To get the badges off from the trunk lid, its not too hard.
(I had some friends who thought ...dont ask.)

Anyways, what you should do, is start by getting a hair
dryer, and heat up the letters, this will loosen the bond
of the adhesive on the back. Once you think you have it
nice and warm to hot, take a piece of fishing line, and
kindof slice it off from the back. Try to keep the line
closer to the trunk lid, not the letters, or you will slice
thru the middle of the rubber adhesive, making a big mess.
Once you have the letters off, you can clean up the left
over residue with products such as Goo-Gone, WD-40 or
gasoline, applied by rag. Once you have removed all of
the residue, give the car a wash, and make sure to apply
extra wax to where you added the detergent products.
Then take pics, and post up for the rest of us to see.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK430
Dental floss will do the trick for removing the badge.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:15 PM

1999 CLK430
Cool, so you have experience with removing the stickers. I'm talking about the removing the "Air Bag Warning" sticker on the visor. One side of the visor has the mirror and the other side has the sticker. Have you ever removed those stickers before?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208
Originally Posted by dmpocket
Ok, this may sound a bit odd, but has anyone removed either 1. The airbag stickers from the visors 2. The "Press the brake pedal and shift to P before removing key" sticker right below the gear shifter.

I just had stickers and I think they take away from the beauty of the car.

I also want to remove the CLK430 letters from the back of the car. Anyone who knows the CLK will know exactly what I'm driving.

So has anyone removed these and if so, did you jack anything up or leave an obvious mark where the sticker used to be? I want to get rid of all of these, but only if I can do it safely and not leave a mark.

Thanks again and enjoy the ride.

-David
I got the CLK off with a heat gun , just be careful,get it hot and use a plastic card to remove.I like the clean look.Rock On!
Old 02-09-2005, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GMC Sierra
My friend took his sunshade stickers off his E class, the only probelem was the glue residue. It was a mess, never did clean up.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally Posted by dmpocket
Cool, so you have experience with removing the stickers. I'm talking about the removing the "Air Bag Warning" sticker on the visor. One side of the visor has the mirror and the other side has the sticker. Have you ever removed those stickers before?
i have no stickers on the car that I didn't put on... visor stickers come off if the car is still fairly new... if you wait too long and it sits through a few hot summers, then, there will be a lot of residue left over.... all my stickers (inside & out) came off without any residue...
Old 02-10-2005, 01:55 PM

1999 CLK430
For those of you interested in doing this, I removed all stickers without a problem. Removing the stickers from the visor left a lot of glue residue. However, with Goof Off and patience, it all came off. However, I would be careful before you use a bunch of Goof Off on removing anything. I would first test a small area to make sure that you're not going to do any damage. Products like that can do a lot of damage if you used improperly or in the wrong area. Best of luck.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Up until yesterday, my car used to say "CLK." I'm not sure who took off the 320 or when, but they did a really clean job of it. I took off the CLK last night, and after being glued on there for about seven years, there's a CLK outline left. There are also three small patches of leftover glue. It's really really thin, and goo gone isn't getting it out no matter what. Any ideas? I saw some others on here recommended a high speed buffer - has anyone tried this with a badge this old?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:03 AM

///M3-SOLD looking at CLK now
Originally Posted by Cohiba
Dental floss will do the trick for removing the badge.
dental floss leaves alot of glue left on the trunk, like was mentioned above, heat it slowly then gently pry off, it will easily come off, then just clean the remaing residue left.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
If you use a buffer make sure you know what you're doing. An orbital buffer can burn your paint so i would use a random orbital one (Porter Cable makes great ones). See the detailing forum for buffing info. I know what you mean about the thin lines, but they WILL come off...i debadged my audi last year and it had it for a while. I didnt have the buffer at the time or i would have used it. Post some pics when you get it all off...i'd like to see what it looks like
Old 02-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55
Cool

Silver and White cars have less of a chance of leaving a "shadowed" badge image on paint. I would seriously be careful if you car is a dark color, especially black if it is over 3 years and you live in a sunny climate. With dark colors, you have your largest chance of seeing a shadowed badge mark.

I used a heat pack for injured muscles that you heat in the microwave. I found that it surrounded the badge and heated the surrounding metal but doesn't get hot enough to damage paint. I also found that if you twist the letters a bit (one by one), I get a cleaner pull (even without dental floss). Of course, this all depends on the age of the car.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
With the buffer, a lot of it came off. Here's are some pictures I took this morning after washing, using a clay bar, and putting on wax most of the day yesterday. There's still a really really faint outline (3rd pic), but it doesnt bother me much. It's mostly on the K.
Attached Thumbnails Has Anyone Removed Stickers or CLK Letters?-imgp1443-web.jpg   Has Anyone Removed Stickers or CLK Letters?-imgp1448-web.jpg   Has Anyone Removed Stickers or CLK Letters?-imgp1449-web.jpg