CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Keeping car parked for 2 and a half months

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 55
Keeping car parked for 2 and a half months

I'm going to be a way for 2 and a half months and need some advice about how I should leave my car. It's going to be parked in an indoor garage, so I can leave it locked or unlocked.
My question is should I disconnect the battery before I leave? or leave it connected? Also should I buy some of those mats that go under the tires to avoid flat spots, or should I just inflate the tires to higher pressures? How much pressure? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 06-09-2002, 05:10 PM

I would recommend disconnecting the battery, because the damn Tele-Aid will connect every 10 minutes or so until the thing's dead. It's happened to plenty of people I know.
Old 06-09-2002, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

why does the tele-aid try to connect every 10 mins... i thought its only activated if you press the button or if the car is on....

saif - if you were in the DC area.. i would gladly offer to drive your car around the block every weekend :p
Old 06-09-2002, 05:44 PM

If I knew, I'd tell you.

Here's a trick- sit in your Tele-aid equipped Benzo for a few minutes- doors closed, key out of the ignition. You'll hear a "click" sound over the tele aid speakers every couple minutes.

I read a topic on MBworld a long time ago about a guy whose battery would go dead every time he went out of town. Took endless trips to the dealership, and finally someone had to put a sensor on the battery or something like that to tell that every few minutes, Tele-aid was connecting and draining the battery.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by Newbie
I would recommend disconnecting the battery, because the damn Tele-Aid will connect every 10 minutes or so until the thing's dead. It's happened to plenty of people I know.
OOOOHH MAAA GAWWWDDD!!!

Do the airbags get tested too by teleaid?
Old 06-09-2002, 09:04 PM

CLK 55
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll be disconnecting the battery. Any idea how it will affect the electronics in the car? Will I have problems when I get back and reconnect the battery? Also any tips about the tire pressure?

Fuzzo, thanks for the offer !
Old 06-09-2002, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You can leave your car at the dealer, ask them if they could warm your engine once a week or something.

-Bruce
Old 06-10-2002, 12:26 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i have an idea....send the car over to CA and let me drive it for two months...hehe....

like lowrider said...you can probably leave your car at the dealer and ask them to hold on to the car and warm it for you once a while.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
saif.. i left my car at home for three months when i went on hioliday, and can u imagine the weather during june july august here?

NO PROBLEM WHEN I GOT BACK... so dont worry!

no flat spots and no dead battery... u should be ok when u get back.

if ur going back to UAE for summer, then please do drop by, its only a drive away.. lets see ur 55!!!!
Old 06-10-2002, 03:17 AM

CLK 55
FrankW and LowRyder, thanks, I'll ask my dealer about it.

Ahmed, what do you mean no problem, did you keep the car battery connected, and the car started? The only thing I'm concerned about is what Newbie said, Teleaid will drain the battery. I will be going to the UAE for a few weeks, so let me know if you are visiting. have you been there?
Old 06-10-2002, 05:40 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
BTW there would be no problem if you leave the car for 2 months or so...

my brother is taking care of one of his friend's 2002 CLK320 because his friend is rarely here. 90% of the time she is in Taiwan...anyway last time my brother had start that car was over three months ago...he just went to her "empty" house to pick up the car three days ago and it starts fine...there is only a little vibration from the engine, but now it is fine.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:22 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Inflate the tires to max-pressure (usually the max pressure is written on the tire wall, right??). This is the way cars in the show-rooms are treated before delivery to avoid flat-spotting.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hala saif,

i dont have teleaid so i dont know how it works.

as far as battery and tyres is concerend, i had no problem with either when i got back.

the car started right away, no faults and no malfunctions. The tyrres didnt show any unbalance or wobble. So, all was fine walla.

i go to dubai regularly, and inshallah soon. But i presume you are from abu dabhi. I have only gone there twice in my life.

keep in touch and hope we can see u in dubai.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:02 PM

CLK 55
Thanks for your help guys. I'll probably just leave the battery connected then, and inflate my tires to max psi. Also I think I'll turn the alarm off and just lock the doors. Anyone know if there is a way to unlock the doors manually without the RF key?
Ahmed, I am from AD but go to Dubai often. It's only an hour drive, so you should check it out.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:14 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Saif: i see you have the orion blue and interior.

just want to know how much is that special order?
Old 06-10-2002, 07:12 PM

Do yourself a favor and sit in the car, doors closed, key out of the ignition for a minute or two, and listen for a faint "click" sound, the sort of sound you hear after you turn off a stereo (it comes over the speakers). All I know is that someone on the board had a problem with it, and the dealership confirmed the fact that the car was constantly connecting to Teleaid, which caused the clicking noise.
Old 06-11-2002, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FrankW..

i think saif has the designo color exterior and interior on his car. And yes i'm pretty sure its a special order and does cost extra!

actually, where i live, we have a CLK200 Cab. with the same color setup and it does look breathtaking. I love it!

mashalaa!!!

saif.. if i were u, i'd take it back to UAE, then contact me and i'll buy it off u no problem. HUH.. deal?
Old 06-11-2002, 08:34 AM

M3 Cab
Originally posted by Ahmed
FrankW..

i think saif has the designo color exterior and interior on his car. And yes i'm pretty sure its a special order and does cost extra!

actually, where i live, we have a CLK200 Cab. with the same color setup and it does look breathtaking. I love it!
orion blue is not one of the designo colours here in the US. as a basic metallic colour it does cost an extra $1,150 over standard and the blue leather is a no cost option. i still like the designo purple better. i think i'm going to go for royal indigo next......
Old 06-15-2002, 12:39 AM

CLK 55
FrankW: just like oresama99 said, the exterior is a special order, however the two-tone interior is standard on the 55 in the US.

Newbie: I'll give it a try and also talk to MBUSA to ask them what they think I should do. Thanks for the advice.

Ahmed: email me your address and I'll ship you the car
Old 06-15-2002, 03:45 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by Saif
FrankW: just like oresama99 said, the exterior is a special order, however the two-tone interior is standard on the 55 in the US.

Newbie: I'll give it a try and also talk to MBUSA to ask them what they think I should do. Thanks for the advice.

Ahmed: email me your address and I'll ship you the car
the two-tone is standard?...hm...didn't know that one...since my friend's 01 CLK55 has the charcoal interior. i thought all the CLK55 has the charcoal.

since i thought that the charcoal interior was the only choice in CLK55 i thought your car is a special designo color. now it's all clear.

i would've opt for the orion blue on my C32 if it wasn't a special order color that will cost a lot more than the regular metallic paint.

BTW once again...love your car...peace out

Frank
Old 06-15-2002, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey.... stay away from saif's car!

i've got my eye on it!

watch out saif, u might come back from your holiday and find ur baby missing!! hmmmmmmmmmm...

Old 06-16-2002, 12:43 AM

CLK 55
Thanks for the compliments.

Ahmed, I guess I should keep the car locked then!!!

FrankW, the three standard interior colors on the clk55 are the charcoal, charcoal/light grey and charcoal/blue. I think the nicest one is the charcoal/light grey, a friend of mine has it on a black car, however since I got the blue exterior I thought the blue interior would look better.
Old 06-16-2002, 01:05 PM

Orion Blue

My '02 430 Orion Blue was delivered in April. There are only two or three more in the South Florida area. I love it. I have the Ash interior and in the sunlight, the blue hue tint makes the car look awsome. The fairly light blue tint matches the exterior color perfectly!I'm not even going to install any aftermarket tint.

The car's color is definately a head turner. At times, when I come out of a resturant or shop, I see groups of people admiring it. Whenever I go to South Beach or Coconut Grove, the valet guys always insist on parking the car in the front next to the CL's and SL's!!!! It's just a unique color. And the great thing about it is that it was available for only two years ('01 & '02) and will not be available for the new W209s. Once I complete my exterior mods, I'll post it.

DapperBNZ

K everything and command
MH Dezent CL style hood/Grill (on order)
MH Dezent rear trunk wing (on order)
Lorinser roof spoiler (two weeks)
18" OZ Opera - 8.5 front, 10 rear, with P-Zero's
Old 06-16-2002, 01:08 PM

H&R springs

BTW, Saif, I noticed that you have H&R's, did you change your shocks too??? The roads are great down here in SoFlo, so will I need to change my shocks once I change my springs to H&R??? How much to you guys recomend that I should lower it? I dont want any rubbing???

Thanx !!
Old 06-17-2002, 02:31 AM

CLK 55
DapperBNZ, post pics of your car when you get a chance. I have only seen one other CLK in Orion Blue here in Boston, so yes, they are rare. I do have H&R's on my car, however I kept the stock shocks. I will probably replace the shocks soon. I also had the H&R's on my 99 430. I think they lower the car just enought, however I would recommend getting shocks too. Here is a pic of my old 430. I miss that car!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Keeping car parked for 2 and a half months