CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

H.i.d Kit Clk500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is Sick as Fu*k
Exclamation H.i.d Kit Clk500

Wsup Guys, I just got a CLK500 a week ago without the xeons or projectors...I thought id save myself $1800 and throw in an H.I.D kit(high intensity discharge). I just put it in a few hours ago...but its giving me problems...everytime I turn them on they flicker like a strobe light...I have to turn them on and off 6 or 7 times for it to finally stay on. Another thing my computer keeps telling me that my left and right lowbeams are not working BUT THEY ARE...I was wondering is the computer screwing somthing up...do I have to take it to benz to program it or what,I once heard that when doing an H.I.D kit on a benz youve got to go to the dealer and ask them to put your computer on xeon mode...I mean they look good but I dont want to have to turn the lights on and off 10 times everytime I want to drive my car....Please Let me know what you guys think....Thanx
Old 03-10-2005, 02:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is what you can do. Turn on your light for 10 sec before you start the engine to bypass the ECU or tell your dealer to reset the ECU mode to under the xenon mode. Eitehrway will be fine.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is Sick as Fu*k
I acually called 2 local dealers today about the xeon mode and they said there is no such thing...but then again ive heard from a couple of local people that, that is what they do. So what exactly should I do
Old 03-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Almost a Member!

What they do is a reset on your default setting to get rid of the malfunction indicator error. Most dealers would tell you there is no such thing because they are not suppose to at least that's what I've been told. The method above works fine w/o errors but you would have to turn on your headlights before driving. Another way I found out when i first got mine done and this works while you drive, turn them on in manual mode not auto mode, while you see it flashing quickly pull the knob to turn on your foglight. That will get the headlight to stay on then you can turn off fogs if you want. Best way is to find a dealer that can reset it for you.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by PerisanGodFatha
but its giving me problems...everytime I turn them on they flicker like a strobe light...
hey, does anyone know if this will also happen if i just put in those xenon bulbs (i will probably buy the piaa they seem to be the best am i right?) godfatha, im guessing you just put in a ballast and not the whole oem housing with projectors?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Almost a Member!

just replacing bulbs you won't get errors only hids
Old 03-10-2005, 01:07 PM

2004 CLK500, 78 6.9,
I got the xenon kit from umnitza.com. The kit installed in about 45 minutes, with a small modification to the bulb housing (not the car side, but the bulb side - so it's reversible) and it was all just plug and play. They fired up and the car just thinks that they're regular headlights! I did the same kit for my foglights, too.. I think it was around 300 or 350 for the kit, which includes either 5000k or 6000k bulbs, ballasts, all the wire harnesses, and detailed instructions on how to modify the housing for fitment into W209s.

Originally Posted by clkcadet
hey, does anyone know if this will also happen if i just put in those xenon bulbs (i will probably buy the piaa they seem to be the best am i right?) godfatha, im guessing you just put in a ballast and not the whole oem housing with projectors?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is Sick as Fu*k
MTEKNIC...would i have to turn the lights on before starting the car always...even a year from now? I mean i did do the 10 second thing last night and when i got in my car 2day i turned on the lights and they stayd on fine without a flicker...

Jello what kind of modification did you have to do to the bulbs My bulbs wouldnt twist on the housing as well is that why you modified them??? IF so what did you do in order to modify it...Thanx
Old 03-10-2005, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is Sick as Fu*k
MTEKNIC What did you end up doing to resolve this problem...the ecu reset? or....?? Thank You for your Help
Old 03-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Almost a Member!

well i installed mine at night so it was too late to go to the dealer, next day i went and a buddy of mine reset it for me at the local dealer.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
You should have coughed up the dough to get the bi-x. They look so much better and also wouldn't go thru this hassel with aftermarket. Here is another issue u might run into. If you have some sort of electrical problem, the stealership might blame the HID's and void your warrenty....... I know, that they have to specifically pin point down to the T that the HIDs are the cause, but its just a huge hassel to go through that with the stealership......
Old 03-11-2005, 06:28 PM

2005 CLK500 Coupe
hey did you buy your clk 500 from washington, because i saw one there without xenons in white