CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Paint chips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes
Paint chips

I was waxing my car today, a 2003 CLK500, and I was cleaning off the road grime, when I noticed that a lot of the black "specks" I saw were not grime but paint chips. They were very tiny, but they were all over my hood and the front bumper. I also noticed a few on the sides of my car. I first noticed one about a year ago and thought it was due to a piece of gravel that hit while driving, but now there are way too many of them and are even on the sides and rear of the car. Also, my ML doesn't have this problem and it has twice the milage of the CLK. I've heard of somebody saying that the paint is too thin. Has anyone else had this issue?
Old 06-04-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Unhappy Apparantely the paint IS pretty weak/thin...

I have a 2003 CLK55 in pewter and I have at least two dozen chips, which I think is excessive, especially considering that I make a lot of effort to avoid them. For one, I have a beater car for the winter time when there's salt and gravel on the roads, I never follow tractor-trailers or any larger truck closely, and IU even avoid roads that I know are littered with a lot of dirt and gravel. I really wish that I had bought that clear "paint guard" you see, but being that I've never had any real issues with paint chips, I figured it would do more harm than good.

It's funny you brought this up now as I've been thinking about how to approach Mecedes benz with a warrantied re-paint. I know that one of the changes for the 2005 model year CLK was "New, more chip resistant paint", which pretty much proves that there's an issue in my opinion. I just hope that they don't give me a real hard time about it, but I suspect that they will. With the exception of the chips, my car is absolutely flawless, so I really want to have it done...

I don't know if this is signifigant, but I had a Brabus K8 front bumper cover mounted a few months ago after I cracked my stock air-dam, and it already has at least ten chips. I'm assuming that the bodyshop used the factory paint, so I'm assuming that the problem is the paint itself versus the application...

I'll let you know what happens after I talk to my local dealer!

Best regards,
Matt

p.s.) I think that it is signifigant that we are finding chips in unusual places like the roof, and the back of the hood where it meets the windshield. Not your typical paint chip area...
Old 06-04-2005, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
I am not sure there is anything you can do. This is just part of the pain of highway driving. Check the windshield, there should be some stone chips as well.

Since most of my driving is on the highway, I installed the 3M clear plastic to the front of my car. It wraps all around the bumper and extends 18-inch up the hood. My CLK is silver so it's hardly noticable. I liked it so much that I installed it on the roof as well.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:18 AM

03 CLK55
Red face Well, normally I would agree with you...

Originally Posted by mis3
I am not sure there is anything you can do. This is just part of the pain of highway driving. Check the windshield, there should be some stone chips as well.

Since most of my driving is on the highway, I installed the 3M clear plastic to the front of my car. It wraps all around the bumper and extends 18-inch up the hood. My CLK is silver so it's hardly noticable. I liked it so much that I installed it on the roof as well.

But in only 22,000 miles my CLK has FAR more paint chips than any previous car I've ever had, many with four and five times the mileage. I haven't actually counted, but I'm wlling to be that I have close to 40 paint chips. That's a lot of chips for any car, let alone in consideraton of how concious I am about paint chips and the great lengths that I go through in order to avoid them. I've read quite a few complaints about paint chips with recent MB cars, and I think that their new "More chip resistant" paint is an effort to rectify it.

When I had my front bumper cover installed, the bodyshop manager remarked that he thought that it had an excessive amount of paint chips and that it should be warrantied. I guess I'll find out soon enough! If I am able to get them to repaint it, I'm definitely going to use something like you did...

Best regards,
Matt

p.s.) Note this search under "paint chips": 259 posts!

https://mbworld.org/forums/search.php?searchid=547836

Last edited by AMG///Merc; 06-04-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:40 AM

03 CLK55
Lightbulb Interesting exercise...

With not very surprising results. I did a Google search using only three words, a particular car manufaturer, and "paint chips" (i.e., "Acura paint chips" or "Audi paint chips") and noted how many hits came up for each manufaturer...

Here are some comparable makes in alphabetical order and the number of hits for each:

Acura: 67,000
Audi: 92,500
BMW: 152,000
Infiniti: 47,100
Lexus: 75,700
Porsche: 89,400
Saab: 121,000

Mercedes-Benz: 266,000

While that may not prove anything, I do believe that it is an indication that Mercedes Benz vehicles do have paint quality issues...

Best regards,
Matt
Old 06-04-2005, 10:54 AM

03 CLK55
Arrow A few more manufacturers for comparison...

Cadillac: 101,000
Chevrolet: 121,000
Chrysler: 96,500
Dodge: 167,000
Ford: 263,000**
GM: 141,000
Pontiac: 96,700

Daewoo: 35,700
Honda: 168,000
Hyundai: 81,900
Kia: 61,400
Nissan: 130,000
Toyota: 152,000

So of all of the manufacturers listed, Mercedes Benz had the most hits. Now of course there are variables to consider, such as the fact that Mercedes Benz owners are more likely to complain than a Daewoo owner, and to be accurate you would need to compare complaints to number of vehicles sold, but I still have to believe that these numbers aren't any fluke...

** Note that Ford is the only make that even comes close to Mercedes Benz, to which I have to add three signifigant points...

1.) There are a whole lot more Fords on the road than Mercedes Benz's.

2.) Fords best selling vehicle is by far and away the F-150. I would imagine that a pick-up is going to gather a good number of paint chips...

3.) Wouldn't you expect Mercedes Benz to do a whole heck of a lot better than Ford in terms of paint quality, especially when you consider the price difference?

Best regards,
Matt
Old 06-04-2005, 12:51 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Great info. MB's have suffered from paint chips for years now, I'm not sure if the nano cars are better or the same. Our 05 VW Touareg is on the highway all the time and has 0 chips with 6100 miles on the clock...I keep the CLK off the intetstate as much as possible but every time I go on I get a chip or two.

Last edited by RJC; 06-04-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by mis3

I have an ML with twice as many miles as the CLK and it has no paint chips, same with a 1993 Honda civic I also have that has 190,000 mostly highway miles. I have paint chips is weird areas such as the sides, on the fuel filler door and on the rear part of the trunk lid. The number of paint chips I have is far too excessive to be part of highway driving.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
I asked my service manager today about the paint chips and they refused to repair it under warranty. Is there a way we can approach MB about this issue? MERC please let us know how it goes with your service department.

Last edited by Chi500; 06-04-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:55 PM

2007 cls 550
when i had my 99 c class. i had over 36,000 on the clock no chips, on my 2001 c class i had 27,000 on it and they where all over the front, and on my 2003 clk with 18K on it i have a few chips all over. it kinda pisses me off cause i keep my car clean every day i wash it. i know from 99 till now they changed the paint from a oil based paint to i think a water based paint. there is so many more chips then the stronger older year paints. if any one has more infoi would love to know
Old 06-05-2005, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by AMG///Merc
I have a 2003 CLK55 in pewter and I have at least two dozen chips, which I think is excessive, especially considering that I make a lot of effort to avoid them. For one, I have a beater car for the winter time when there's salt and gravel on the roads, I never follow tractor-trailers or any larger truck closely, and IU even avoid roads that I know are littered with a lot of dirt and gravel. I really wish that I had bought that clear "paint guard" you see, but being that I've never had any real issues with paint chips, I figured it would do more harm than good.

It's funny you brought this up now as I've been thinking about how to approach Mecedes benz with a warrantied re-paint. I know that one of the changes for the 2005 model year CLK was "New, more chip resistant paint", which pretty much proves that there's an issue in my opinion. I just hope that they don't give me a real hard time about it, but I suspect that they will. With the exception of the chips, my car is absolutely flawless, so I really want to have it done...

I don't know if this is signifigant, but I had a Brabus K8 front bumper cover mounted a few months ago after I cracked my stock air-dam, and it already has at least ten chips. I'm assuming that the bodyshop used the factory paint, so I'm assuming that the problem is the paint itself versus the application...

I'll let you know what happens after I talk to my local dealer!

Best regards,
Matt

p.s.) I think that it is signifigant that we are finding chips in unusual places like the roof, and the back of the hood where it meets the windshield. Not your typical paint chip area...
Do they have the "New, more chip resistant paint" written in on some of their brochures. Please tell me where I can find that quote because I want to show it to my service manager. I need to have a warrantied repaint. The number of chips and locations on which it is found is ridiculous. If my dealer doesn't handle it, I will either call or write MBUSA and the Better Business Bureau or whoever I can complain to. This obviously affects a lot of us MB owners. If anybody has any suggestions on who I can complain about this issue to, please do.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
DIY instructions

I have the same problem especially on the hood, its so bad there (i bought the car used) that im probably going to have the whole thing repainted, but if yours are more minor, here are some instructions that TOGWT posted in the detailing forum for repairing paint chips (search for "paint chips" in the detailing forum for more info...
Originally Posted by TOGWT
To repair paint chips and deeper scratches that have compromised the vehicles paint system through to the primer coat. Ensure a surface temperature of >600F and allow each coat of paint to dry >2-3 hours

Clean – Paint – Sand level – Polish – Protect
Methodology:
•Establish the vehicles paint colour code that can be found on a plaque in the engine compartment or from your vehicle dealership.
•Purchase a touch-up paint from the dealership, Paint Scratch (paintscratch.com specializes in original factory matched touch-up paint) or a touch-up pen from AutoSharp Pen (autosharpen.com)
•Test the paint in an inconspicuous area before using to ensure colour match
•Use a cleaning product that will clean the area of oil, crease, dirt, polish and wax (P21S Total Auto Wash)
•Use a sanding block and 1200 grit paper (Ace Hardware Rubber Block) soak the block and paper overnight, with a water / soap solution 6:1 for lubrication, or a spot sanding tool (Griot’s P/N 50875) using a light to medium pressure to clean any surface rust or deposits of dirt or wax/polish.
•Soak the area to be repaired with the lubrication solution and keep it well lubricated while sanding
•Once the area is thoroughly cleaned, apply a primer using a touch-up paint applicator (Groit’s P/N 50406)
•Dip the tip of the applicator into the primer and gently touch the paint chip with the tip of the applicator. Should you over-fill; use a clean applicator to soak up any excess.
•Once the primer is thoroughly dry, using either the paint applicator, not the oversized brush that comes with the manufactures touch-up paint, or an AutoSharp Pen® touch-up paint applicator, the pen features a felt tipped applicator that allows you to literally "colour" the damage away.
•Apply clear coat paint in the same manner a coloured paint
•Allow each coat of applied paint to dry for >2-3 hours before the application of subsequent coats
•Use a back and forth motion with the sanding block and paper (do not use circular movements) smooth out the repair and ensure that it is level with the paint film surface Try to limit sanding to the immediate area of therepair
•Use a mild polish to restore surface gloss after carefully rinsing away surface and finish by applying wax / sealant protection

Don’t be apprehensive about trying this if you have the proper tools, a professional body shop usually will charge $200 - 300
Old 06-05-2005, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Thanks King, but I wish it was only minor. There's at least 50 chips on the front bumper and the hood. I think I need a repaint.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:39 AM

Air Force 1s
Hey I have a 2004 E500 that is suppose to come with Nano-paint. I purchased the AMG Kit and had it put on my car before I picked it up. The dealer installed and painted it. Now a year later I don't have any paint chips on the hood but the front bumper has NUMEROUS paint chips and the rear bumper is wearing down to the primer around the edges where the rear tires are. I bought this in California but live on the east coast now and every email I send to my sales person is ignored . I'm not sure if I should go to a dealer around here, keep pressing the issue with California dealer, or just pay for myself? I'm pissed that my calls are not answered or anything. How much would it cost to get these reprayed?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
You're probably going to have to pay for it yourself, I wouldn't know how much because I haven't bothered having my car repainted. I'd definately take it up with the dealership where you had the job done. Call them, cause as much trouble as you can otherwise they'll ignore you. If they still blow you off call MBUSA, get the number from their website. A lot of dealers worry about having a good rep with the MB.