CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Exterior Color!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exterior Color!!

I ordered a CLK500 Blk Opal with Ash interior, but after I saw the Blk one w/ Red&Charcoal 2-tone, I'm having second thought.
Unfortunately, if I want to change colors, I would have to re-order and my car will come in late Sep. instead of end of July.
I really like the MB's Blk Opal, but have never seen a real photo of a new CLK w/ that color. If you guys have any photo w/ Blk opal, Please post them...
I understand Black Opal is not so popular in the forum, but what do you guys think??
Old 06-28-2002, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Schumacher:

I just looked at a metallic Black Opal 2002 CL500 w/ oyster interior at MB Autohaus showroom in Pompano Beach yesterday.

I asked my salesperson: "What color is this?"

This color is simply STUNNING. From certain angles it looks black, from others it looks dark, dark, blue. A photo or color chips will NOT do it justice! You MUST see it on an MB product (car).

Stick to your FIRST choice; it will keep smiling back at you.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:51 AM

'03 CLK500
The Black Opal color is a very dark metallic blue, and looks really good when its clean. However, it does look a little duller than the solid Black that MB makes, which has a more intense look to it.

The Anthracite/Red 2-tone leather combination looks much better with the standard Black, opposed to the Black Opal (unless you're going for a patriotic look )

And, I hate to break it to you, but you're probably not going to get the car you originally ordered in July - more like mid-August. I spoke to my dealer this week and he told me the official launch date is August 15th. That may have an affect on your decision.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
I agree with likuidM5 - your first choice Ash will look better with the Black Opal (with it's blueish tones) than the Red&Charcoal.

Cheers, BT
Old 06-29-2002, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
wanna swap... i'm having second thoughts on mine too..... i gotta see it up close and personal./
Old 06-29-2002, 11:14 AM

Wink

Thank you guys for the replies... I think I'm gonna keep my first choice... I've been driving my uncle's X5 3.0 for too long since my car accident, and can't wait another minute to drive the new CLK!!!(no offense to X5's...)

more ?'s though...
1. What's the deal with wood and/or aluminum trim in 500's?? My dealer put my order down as Ash w/ Black Wood Trim... Is this a possible configuration? Or would I get a brown wood trim or aluminum trim?? My dealer does not seem to know much about the car...
2. Is it true that the cars on first delivery will differ from the later deliveries in terms of the AMG trim and so on??
3. Heard the sound system on the new CLK is terrible... but don't we get Bose Premium sound system as standard in the US???

Last edited by Schumacher; 06-29-2002 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:21 PM

2001 CLK 320
Black Opal

Black Opal is a great color, the chip in the old CLK brochure does not do it justice. I would call around to the dealers in your area and ask if they have any MB in the color and drive over to see it.
Old 06-30-2002, 02:40 PM

SL500
Thats green-black surely?

It s a great colour, but not in any way Blue. Would look awful with red/black interior.

Think my SL500 will be that colour though.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:39 PM

Lexus RX300...but not for long!
Question Getting ready to order...but what color??

Hi,

I'm getting ready to order a 2003 CLK 320, but I'm confused about the color choices. (USA resident, by the way).

On the MBUSA website, there are many colors choices, several of which appear nearly identical. (Dealer did not yet have brochures). Can anyone offer explanations as to the difference between:

Black Opal Metallic
Obsidian Black Metallic

Capri Blue Metallic
Orion Blue Metallic

Also, I am under the impression that short of "special ordering" a CLK, the vast majority are shipped to this country in either Black, Silver, or White. Is this true?

I LOVE the car in black, but I'm afraid with our climate here in Chicago (75% of the time potentially on salt-covered roads...okay I exaggerate a bit!), it'll look crappy most of the time..

Help! So excited, but want it NOW!
Old 07-03-2002, 06:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK, ML, GL
I have a CLk 320. Black Opal with Ash interior. The color turns heads. It is beautiful. As far as the red/charcoal interior I agree with you. It is awsome. I have ordered the CLK 500. I want silver or obsidian black with the red/charcoal but my girlfreind tells me I will look like a pimp with that combination. I don't know what to do either.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK320, Carrera S
These pictures are of my 2001 CLK320 Black Opal with Oyster Interior. To me the Ash was equaly attractive but I wanted the lighter (cooler) color for the interior.

Exterior

Opps if somebody can tell how to load some pictures I will.

Martin

Last edited by Martin; 07-03-2002 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:22 PM

2001 CLK 320
Re: Getting ready to order...but what color??

Originally posted by RGHessel
Hi,

I'm getting ready to order a 2003 CLK 320, but I'm confused about the color choices. (USA resident, by the way).

On the MBUSA website, there are many colors choices, several of which appear nearly identical. (Dealer did not yet have brochures). Can anyone offer explanations as to the difference between:

Black Opal Metallic
Obsidian Black Metallic

Capri Blue Metallic
Orion Blue Metallic

Also, I am under the impression that short of "special ordering" a CLK, the vast majority are shipped to this country in either Black, Silver, or White. Is this true?

I LOVE the car in black, but I'm afraid with our climate here in Chicago (75% of the time potentially on salt-covered roads...okay I exaggerate a bit!), it'll look crappy most of the time..

Help! So excited, but want it NOW!
Black Opal has a lot of blue in it. When the light hits it just right it looks like a very dark metallic blue. Obsidian Black is metallic black. Capri blue is a lighter metallic blue than Black Opal and changes less than Black Opal in differing light. Orion Blue is a bright metallic blue. It is often a good idea to find a dealer in your area and ask if they have any car in the color you are looking for, even on their previously owned lot. MB paint chips in brochures often do not do the colors justice. They must be seen on an actual car. And yes, the vast majority of CLK's are either black or silver.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:42 AM

2003 CLK 320
I had ordered a black opal with charcoal too but have also had a difficult time to find one but I finally came across a picture of it today! It really looks different under different lighting and on different cars because the curves on the car effect how much light is reflected and how bright the color will be. Anyways, have a look, I think it is fantastic. Hopefully my image will upload right. I found it on the mercedes house of imports site but I dont remember how to get there.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:57 AM

ML 500 Sport
I would check the dealer ads in the Sunday picture and then spend a day driving around looking at the colors in dealer show rooms...that's what I did...I was able to find every color I was interested in within a ten mile radius...photos just don't cut it...