CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

M3 vs. CLK500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M3 vs. CLK500

Yesterday I visited the Mercedes and BMW dealerships. I sat in the new CLK500 and I fell in love. I love the BMW M3 for its power and performance but the CLK500 was simply beautiful, more luxurious, and pretty much more PIMPED OUT. The interior of the M3 is really crap compared to the CLK500. The price of both the vehicles are the same. M3 was my dream car, now Im afraid that I am having second thoughts. Please someone tell me what the hell I should do. Stick wit the M3 or go for the CLK500?
Old 08-26-2002, 07:52 AM

I actually was torn between the M3 and CLK as well....However....

I saw a CLK500 at the dealer Sunday...WOW....This car is impressive.

The M3 is fast and handles great, but I want something that doesn't ride so harsh anymore. ...and the CLK is no slow car either. I have been in sports cars for 12 years, I'm ready for a change.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:54 AM

Agreed, M3 is very good & truly a sport car.
From the moment you startup the engine
M3 is shaking and bassed the exhaust to standby a fight
as your wish..... it's a car with passion & power.
CLK500 isn't library quiet as a Lexus, but it's quiet, not easy to
hear the throttle.it moves effortlessly, potential to give any speed you dare try.......a easy car but powerful.
A spicy girl or a charming young lady ?
Old 08-26-2002, 01:13 PM

'03 CLK500
Yes! Finally some people who are making some sense. I had been considering a Lexus GS, a BMW M3, and the CLK500. I couldn't be happier with my choice. The GS is the left wing - ultra-luxury and a decent engine. The M3 is kinda stark on the inside (..and looks like a 318), but is for the driving enthusiast. The CLK is the best of both worlds. I find it head and shoulders above the competition.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:47 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
interesting (fun) thread. Agreed... the M3 is fine, but not now in the same league as the CLK500. Also, isn't the 3 series overall due for a body-redesign in another year or so? Seems that if that is the case, it makes double sense to go for the newest design; least likely to see much rapid change, and also hold value for at least a couple years.

(From what I understand, there's as much as an 18 month waiting list at some dealers for the CLK 500 now, and with huge adds in the new Architectural Digest etc., it's likely to remain limited availablity for awhile, if one wants to pay just sticker.)

While my CLK500 is quiet, almost deceivingly so, it has sort of a character about it, that feels able to cope with almost any road, or do what I want it to, without protest or groans at all (unlike my prior CLK430, which was a good car in its time too).

cheers... but I'm an MB guy these days, not a BMW enthusiast.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:56 PM

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by stockseer
(From what I understand, there's as much as an 18 month waiting list at some dealers for the CLK 500 now, and with huge adds in the new Architectural Digest etc., it's likely to remain limited availablity for awhile, if one wants to pay just sticker.)
[/B]
UGH!! 18 months…hope that’s not the average wait, sounds closer to the SL waiting list. I’ll be ordering a CLK500 next week. Anyone who ordered a CLK500 in the last 2 weeks what’s your dealer telling you the wait is going to be??

Michele
Old 08-27-2002, 07:23 PM

You know what I just realized..the price of my CLK500 on order with the K3, K4, heated seats comes to the same price that we could get a convertable M3 with good options......what do you all think???
Old 08-27-2002, 09:16 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
the same dealer has a couple CLK500's just slightly over sticker (amazing how they appear on the 'used' lot) .. and nothing like the over-sticker price they (try?) to command for the SL's. Sort of think the pricing/availablity flurry on the CLK500 will be brief, it at all, though ironically if the Saks campaign is successfully, it might revive interest again ahead of the holidays (suspect MB is doing this with the CLK because the price point is more realistic for this economy than over-promoting the SL, which is selling anyway of course, or the CL, which is so up-market as to trim the number of potential customers). Personally, I'm more comfortable in the CLK from a size standpoint, and it's actually more current than the CL. (I suspect it handles lots more nimbly too; haven't drive a CL).
Old 08-27-2002, 11:37 PM

hey stockseer you are wrong about a whole bunch of things. First of all the M3 is going to have only a minor taillight adjustment in march of 2003. Also the wait for the CLK500 is not 18 months, that is simply ridiculous. I went to the dealer like 3 days ago and he told me I can get it by November and that there was a CLK320 in stock.
Personally I think the CLK500's exterior is looking uglier and uglier everytime I look at it. The older models looked better. Ive decided on the M3 because the CLK500 is a old persons luxury car and Im a young sport cars kinda guy. And also because its overall a better freakin car. Maybe get a benz when im an old fart but not now.
Whose this ******* Chris Bangle I keep hearing about?

PS. Some of you guys in this forum are A-Holes. Sound very ****y and seem to be rich snobby little brats.
enjoy ur benzes and peace out cub scout.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:40 PM

oh and if you buy the CLK over sticker you shouldnt be. My dealer told me that **** was MSRP, nothing higher or lower.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:02 AM

14 'E550
This is coming from the same person ." .....your either 10 years old or you shouldn't let friends use your computer.

"I sat in the new CLK500 and I fell in love. I love the BMW M3 for its power and performance but the CLK500 was simply beautiful, more luxurious, and pretty much more PIMPED OUT."

vs. this

"Personally I think the CLK500's exterior is looking uglier and uglier everytime I look at it. The older models looked better. Ive decided on the M3 because the CLK500 is a old persons luxury car and Im a young sport cars kinda guy. And also because its overall a better freakin car. Maybe get a benz when im an old fart but not now."
Old 08-28-2002, 12:07 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Originally posted by -[iLL]-1j

enjoy ur benzes and peace out cub scout.
a dealership shouldn't just check your credit for auto financing, they should give you an iq test.... some people are too stupid to be on a forum, i cant even imagine them behind the wheel.

but seriously, these comparisons between an m3 and a clk 500 are really week. one is a sports car, with a touch of luxury, the other a luxury touring car with a real nice engine
Old 08-28-2002, 12:13 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
gee, you're sensitive about BMW, Mr. M3.. dude.. and this forum is for fun, not jabs at the owners. Lots of young guys like the CLK.. nothing wrong with older guys liking them, or M's. CLK isn't pretentious; it could be argued it's a less flashy way to express MB taste, than an SL or CL (same engines, similar engineering; easier drive).

As for the 'wait'; depends where you live, and you didn't indicate where. In South Florida, if you want it at MSRP, and aren't in line, there's a wait. I'm sure that's not the case everywhere, but you're wrong making a generalized remark on that.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:31 AM

2002M3
Originally posted by -[iLL]-1j

Whose this ******* Chris Bangle I keep hearing about?
I'm a little surprise, which you don't know who is Chris Big Butt Bangle is!!! Since you're so knowledgeable about cars, especially BMW
Old 08-28-2002, 01:50 PM

2010 C300 4matic
As for the wait for a CLK500.....just talked to my salesman this morning and he says it's about a 5 month wait for a 500. I live in a suburb of NYC. I think this wait is reasonable. The CLK must be very popular in South Florida to have an 18 month wait.

Michele
Old 08-28-2002, 03:05 PM
Almost a Member!

An M3 Loaded with SMG is same price as clk500

Originally posted by CLKfanatic
You know what I just realized..the price of my CLK500 on order with the K3, K4, heated seats comes to the same price that we could get a convertable M3 with good options......what do you all think???
You are probably talking about a base m3 convertible costing that much. If you had all the options which is what you want on an M3. 19 inch wheels, Nav, Smg, Xeon, all those goodies will run u the same price of a loaded clk cause it does not have as much options as the m3. SMG is what really bumps the price to matching the clk500.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:17 PM
Almost a Member!

M3 not in the same league as the clk500?

I think you mean the other way around. How can anyone make that statement? That the M3 is not in the same league? If you mean looks thats a matter of opinion. Some may feel that the clk500 looks classier than the M3 and i tend to agree, but looks are very subjective. So i assume you meant perfomance wise. How in the hell is the m3 not in the same league when its got a naturally asipirated V6 engine that produces more power and handles better in every way than the clk500. Not to mention the car was released last year and mercedes had all the time in the world to work on a better engine. You cant measure something as subjective as the appearance of the car but performance wise.... Please, I beg to differ.

The bottom line is the clk500 is a new model, its gonna attract attention and its not a bad looking car. Give it a year i think people will be longing for the old model or the m3. But then again thats just my opinion.

And yeah i have an M3 smg. But i dont bash the clk i loved the old 430 with the exception of a few minor issues i had with it.

I still have a spot for the clk500 in nyc. I havent sold it yet but i no longer need it because i picked up the beemer. My car is being delivered early next month and its a brilliant silver clk500 with charcoal interior, K3, K4, Nav, and Parktronic. If anybody is interested im more than willing to part with it for a little over what i put on my deposit. If not ill auction off my spot.

Originally posted by stockseer
interesting (fun) thread. Agreed... the M3 is fine, but not now in the same league as the CLK500. Also, isn't the 3 series overall due for a body-redesign in another year or so? Seems that if that is the case, it makes double sense to go for the newest design; least likely to see much rapid change, and also hold value for at least a couple years.

While my CLK500 is quiet, almost deceivingly so, it has sort of a character about it, that feels able to cope with almost any road, or do what I want it to, without protest or groans at all (unlike my prior CLK430, which was a good car in its time too).

cheers... but I'm an MB guy these days, not a BMW enthusiast.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Re: An M3 Loaded with SMG is same price as clk500

I meant a fully loaded m3 coupe with all the options and smg will run you 60 not including taxes.

Originally posted by Clifflee

You are probably talking about a base m3 convertible costing that much. If you had all the options which is what you want on an M3. 19 inch wheels, Nav, Smg, Xeon, all those goodies will run u the same price of a loaded clk cause it does not have as much options as the m3. SMG is what really bumps the price to matching the clk500.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Alright folks, looks like everyone's getting a little tense here! Everyone in my family drives a Bimmer and we all love them, great cars, my brother actually has 2 M3s, a '97 and an '01. I have a '99 CLK430 and love it. I have always been a BMW fan, but I must say the 'new' M3 is truly an exceptional car! The power and feeling of the car is unbelievable. While I haven't driven the 500, if it is as great as everyone is saying, it must be amazing as well. IMO, the M3 is a better looking car, turns more heads, and wipes the floor with the 500 when it comes to performance and handling. On the other hand, the 500 is a luxury coupe, great for picking up yuppie chicks or for satisfying your father's mid-life crisis! It was intended for luxury and semi-sport activities, let's not forget that, it's not a *****-out sports car like the M3...final analysis: I want one of each!!

BTW if anyone is interested, the '97 M3 is for sale.

Great thread!!!
Old 08-28-2002, 08:56 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: M3 not in the same league as the clk500?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clifflee
[B] How in the hell is the m3 not in the same league when its got a naturally asipirated V6 engine that produces more power and handles better in every way than the clk500.

Look under your hood...the engine is an inline 6. BMW does not produce V6's and is renoun for their inline 6's.

RJC
Old 08-29-2002, 11:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Right. Thats what i meant.

Just got used to referring to it as V6....
Old 08-30-2002, 08:14 PM

2003 CLK 320
What about a bare M3 with SMG and premium audio versus CLK 320 with a couple options, i.e. K3, Keylessgo, CD changer? They would be about the same price I think. But I would be giving up a lot of nice amenities on the clk.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:18 PM

2003 CLK 320
The reason I'm asking is because I just saw a new black m3 parked in our building and I can say that i was impressed. It looked very nice. Aggressive, styled, and classy. I had originally been wanting to get an m3 but I didn't like the body (this was a couple years ago) and decided on the new clk due to its styling ( I didn't like the old clk style because I thought it was too high in the rear and front, looked more like a sedan than a sports car) but that was just my opinion. Now the m3 looks wider, more aggressive and in black simply stunning plus the wheels are 18 included and look great, double spoked, and much better looking than the AMGs. Plus the leather on the inside is nice and the back looks roomy. What do you think? I am reconsidering. By the way anybody know the current wait and markup on m3's in socal?
Old 08-31-2002, 01:38 AM

dude go for the M3
Old 08-31-2002, 10:51 AM

2004 Maserati Coupe
It depends

If you want the car that has the better handling and better performance, go with the M3. If you want the more luxurious cruiser, while still getting a quick car, go with the CLK 500. Personally, I think the two cars are not all the comparable - it's really a philosophical difference. Stating the obvious generality, BMWs lean toward performance and MBs lean toward luxury, but each brand has at least some of both.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a car. If you're one of those meatballs that has to be the very first car off of every red light, than the choice is obvious. And if that's the case, maybe you should forget the M3 and get the Z06. If you'll be doing a lot of highway driving and like to cruise at 90 at low RPMs, the benz is probably the better choice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M3 vs. CLK500