CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

broken button in the dashboard

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:11 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK200K Avantgarde 06
broken button in the dashboard

hi everybody

i have a big problem concerning the button on the dashboard near the ESP and partronic button.

The car perfume leaks out and drop all over the button at night.
In the morning my button layer the black color come out and the color is gone.

i have asked the dealer but they charge to me like 250$ just to change the 2 buttons damaged badly.

does anyone know where i can get a better price and buy it.

if anyone have a spare part of those buttons, if u want to sell please tell me.

thank you for ur help
Attached Thumbnails broken button in the dashboard-attachment.php.jpg  
Old 08-25-2006, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK500, 04 X3, No 07 GT3RS :(
just buy a replacement at the parts counter and replace it yourself - the console is easy to remove
Old 08-25-2006, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
the reason it's expensive is because the buttons are not available separately. IT's one entire set of buttons. There is a CAN controlled control unit behind there as well with the bottons.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK200K Avantgarde 06
Thank alot Frisco and Sunman,

i try to remove but it seems that there is a mechanism that hold all the buttons together and i cant remove it at all.

Could u please tell me how to remove, now i have noticed that the liquid is still inside and it is coming out to do more damage to the button now another button is also damaged due to the liquid inside.

So i want to remove and clean it.

Please can u tell me hwo to remove which tool to use and where to unlock the hold.

Thank u so much for ur help

by any chance does anyone knwo how much it costs all the button together ?
Old 08-26-2006, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 M113K
wat year is your car?( looking at the pics if thats yours its a 2005+ as the double screen between the gauges) is it out of warranty if not see if you cant get them to replace it.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 CLK500, 04 X3, No 07 GT3RS :(
On mine you flip the ashtray door half way open (use painters tape so you dont scratch it), undo two torx screws (you might need a flashlight to see them), and then the trim piece comes loose. The button assemblies can then be removed by removing a couple screws from the backside of the trim piece. It's a 10 minute job.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK200K Avantgarde 06
Remove the Buttons

Thsank again Frisco for your help, i cant just remove the trim in one, as i heard i need to take off the ashtray then the air conditioner, the COMAND APS then i can remove those buttons.

here is a picture of my dashboard.

My car is W209 CLK year 2006 i jsut got it on 06/06/2006.

another thing do u know where i can buy those buttons at a cheap price.

Topday i had another problem with my car, my brake tailight goes off and the speedometer indicate that the bulb doesnt work, then i replace it with another new bulb the same one,
a few hour later all the parking tailight goes off and everythign goes wrong. if the brake tailight work then the parking light doesnt work both of them. but when i put the anti fog like behind it work only the anti fog like.

it is really wierd i jsut got my car and alreayd so many problem.

hope u could

thank u alot for ur hlep Frisco.
Attached Thumbnails broken button in the dashboard-dsc_0087.jpg  

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2006, 03:27 PM

2004 CLK500 & 2006 BMX X3
Are you in the US? The steering wheel in your last pics says you are in Asia. For the electrical problem that you are having, bring it back to the dealership to have them take a look at it.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by Sorata_kh
Thsank again Frisco for your help, i cant just remove the trim in one, as i heard i need to take off the ashtray then the air conditioner, the COMAND APS then i can remove those buttons.

here is a picture of my dashboard.

My car is W209 CLK year 2006 i jsut got it on 06/06/2006.

another thing do u know where i can buy those buttons at a cheap price.

Topday i had another problem with my car, my brake tailight goes off and the speedometer indicate that the bulb doesnt work, then i replace it with another new bulb the same one,
a few hour later all the parking tailight goes off and everythign goes wrong. if the brake tailight work then the parking light doesnt work both of them. but when i put the anti fog like behind it work only the anti fog like.

it is really wierd i jsut got my car and alreayd so many problem.

hope u could

thank u alot for ur hlep Frisco.
Sorata_kh,

What you will have to do is remove the entire upper peice. That's all. It's just clipped in, so you don;t have to remove anything else.

To remove it, just pry on it at the sides being careful. it is only held in by clips but they are pretty strong.
I'm sure those buttons can be purchased seperately but if I were you, I would just tell the dealer they are messed up and you want them replced under 12/12 warranty.I can;t really tell why you want them replaced because the pics don;t really show much. but if you can;t get them to do it, then do it yourself.

Honestly, that peice is so easy to replace, most of the $250 is the price of the part, so why waste time with it? let them do it and keep that F%^% perfume bottle away from you eletronics!!!!

YOu need to visit them anyway because of your bulb issue. That's certainly. warranty.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
you wouldn't have so many problems if it wasn't for that perfume bottle! IT could be shorting the CAN signals out and giving all kinds of weird errors. Don't blame mercedes for this one.

The piece is a real pain to pull. It's held in real tight. I use a set of pull hooks to get it out.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK200K Avantgarde 06
defective button

hi agian

The picture is before that stupid perfume leak out. i will post the recent one soon. About the button i went to the dealer but the dealer said that it is not a defective buttons that the problem occur bcos of my fault so they cant replace for me for free. that really bad !!! so i need to pay like 250$. But i was thinking if there is a shop somewhere that i could buy it cheaper.

BVut apprently in thailand it is so hard to find. Migth be easier in USA.

I heard that it is easier to take it out. But could anyone show me the picture and step how to do bcos id otn want to destroy that lock and everything.

thank for so many reply
Old 08-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK200K Avantgarde 06
Bulb repaired

The bulb is repaired already, after checking several time, the problem come from the Bulb 12V 21W/5 inside the bulb there is two light that can ligth up and one of them is broken and also the parking lamp at the top is broken too.

So i jsut replace both fo them and nwo ti work fine.
recently i change every bulb to 12v27W it is alot brighter.