CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

creaks and rattles on my clk500 coupe.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
creaks and rattles on my clk500 coupe.

my 06 clk500 coupe has only 5000 miles and i get creaks from my rear seats/compartment and a bunch of rattles. Is this normal on this car? what can i do to fix it? Will the dealer even attempt to address my complaints under warranty?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
It doesn't sound normal. I just picked up a mint condition 2004 CLK500 and I'm surprised at how tight it is. No creaks or rattles. The only noise it does make is when closing the doors, the windows rattle since they are part way down. I need to fix that because it sounds like a box of rocks when you shut the doors.

Some dealers will help and address rattles. Others will tell you to take a hike.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:11 PM

2022 E350 Cabriolet
Our car has had a rattle from under the dash since new.
The dealer offered to fix it but I said not to bother.
Apart from that it is still very tight at 9000KM.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:48 PM

None
Hello, I have a 03 with 23k miles and it is very tight. The drivers side door when shut sounded bad like rocks as you said. I took it to the dealer and apparently there was a nut loose inside the door which i was told was a common problem but just had to be tightned and since then I haven't had one problem. I would suggest to take off door panel and check the nuts and tighten them. I have no other rattles in my car at all you guys may try dynamat to make things quiet down. I have some in my 99 e300 diesel and it really helped
Old 10-25-2006, 01:52 PM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Originally Posted by rsatmans
Hello, I have a 03 with 23k miles and it is very tight. The drivers side door when shut sounded bad like rocks as you said. I took it to the dealer and apparently there was a nut loose inside the door which i was told was a common problem but just had to be tightned and since then I haven't had one problem. I would suggest to take off door panel and check the nuts and tighten them. I have no other rattles in my car at all you guys may try dynamat to make things quiet down. I have some in my 99 e300 diesel and it really helped
Thanks. I'll give that a go. I'd rather try to fix the window rattle myself than take it to a dealer. The dealer will be the last resort.

I just purchased a Mercedes Benz shop manual on CD from a guy on ebay. Just received it last night. Hopefully it wasn't a scam and it will actually have some info on how to remove the door panels.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 PM

None
Hello, If the shop manual is worth anything please post a write up with a link to the ebay auction please
Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM

2005 CLK500
Almost every time i accelerate violently, a squeak is heard from under the central consol of the back seat. I have aftermarket shocks and springs, which is supposedly being blamed for by the dealership but i wonder sometimes.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:09 PM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Originally Posted by rsatmans
Hello, If the shop manual is worth anything please post a write up with a link to the ebay auction please
Will do...
Old 10-26-2006, 10:45 AM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
I installed the DVD's that I purchased on ebay and the service "manual" is just like it was advertised - and more. It's quite a comprehensive program - exactly what the service departments at the Benz dealers use.

It covers many vehicles and has an enormous database of stuff. It requires a few GB of disk space and takes quite a while to instlall. It comes with a companion CD that contains a video that instructs you how to install the software. It's a necessity as otherwise, you wouldn't really have a clue what to do. It's best if you can play the video on the CD on one computer, while installing the software from the 2 DVD's on another.

The software is not the most user-friendly to navigate but pretty much anything you'd ever want to do to your CLK is in there somewhere.

Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130037852841

It has an interesting section on retrofitting options that were not delivered with the car. Like illuminated door sills. I was suprised to see Ipod integration in there (for 2005+ vehicles). It also has a detailed section on adding parktronic to a car that did not come with it from the factory, which is VERY involved. But there wasn't any section (as far as I could tell) for adding something as popular as COMMAND.

It also has a troubleshooting section but it's also not so user-friendly. I found some common problems - like wiper shudder. But then I didn't see anything on window rattles and other problems that I know are common on 2003+ CLK's.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
I also had the passenger door bolt loose which sounded horrible. Took it to the dealer and got it fixed under warranty. Also my cup holder squeeks when it is open. But my car also has 100,000 miles.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:45 PM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
I was able to easily fix the door window rattling problems using the info in the "Service Manual" software. There are about 4 plugs on the underside of the doors. Under 2 of them are adjustment nuts for preload on the windows. The window preload is an adjustment of how far the windows are tilted in towards the car.

On mine, one nut was complete missing on each door and the other nuts were loose and ready to fall off. I got some new 6mm nuts that are metal/nylon locking nuts. Replaced them all and the rattling problem is gone.