CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Running on 18x10 wheels.... yay or nay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 CLK
Question Running on 18x10 wheels.... yay or nay

After much reading on these forums, I figured either 8/8.5 front and 9/9.5 rear would be the ideal for a staggered setup for my car (seeing how everybody is running that). After much nitpicking and tire kicking (excuse the pun), I found a deal for a set of rims that are 18x8 and 18x10. I've read that some of you guys out there are running 10s with 275 width tires without rubbing issues.

I asked my buddies for their thoughts and they all seemed to be agains running 10s in the rear. The main point was that I better be sure I have enough torque to use that width (other than the obvious "it's too wide" for my taste comments). Will wider wheels reduce the performance of your vehicle to the point where you can notice it? I definately want better handling just not at the cost of performance.

I mean come on they're only and inch or two difference in the overall width. How detrimental to performance will the be really? I have the 3.2V6 and I know it's nowhere fast but I don't want to reduce what limited power I have in the car as it is. It is bone stock right now, (just in case someone asks) I've got the Eisenmann race exaust, evo sport pulley and a set of Brabus shocks and springs sitting in the garage; all of which will be on the car after I get the wheels on.

Thanks for your insight guys.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:40 PM

CLK 550
chixdiggit - I don't think you'll see any noticeable difference in performance. If anything, I would think you would see slightly improved handling due to the larger contact patch. And personally, I like the look of wider wheels. I have 18x10s in the rear now and I had them on my 320 as well, and it performed fine. But of course, the definition of "fine" performance is relative in that I am not an agressive driver...at least not most of the time

Anyways, I've got Brabus suspension as well, and I think you will like how the car sits and handles with it installed. Also, my understanding was that 275s in the back would rub, so I run 265s.

Let us know how the upgrades turn out...
Old 03-10-2007, 01:58 PM

W209 CLK
Originally Posted by atl2nyc
chixdiggit - I don't think you'll see any noticeable difference in performance. If anything, I would think you would see slightly improved handling due to the larger contact patch. And personally, I like the look of wider wheels. I have 18x10s in the rear now and I had them on my 320 as well, and it performed fine. But of course, the definition of "fine" performance is relative in that I am not an agressive driver...at least not most of the time

Anyways, I've got Brabus suspension as well, and I think you will like how the car sits and handles with it installed. Also, my understanding was that 275s in the back would rub, so I run 265s.

Let us know how the upgrades turn out...
Thanks atl2nyc....

I pulled the trigger on the deal and should have a set of DPEs on the way. I just need to get some rubber to wrap around the wheels. Hopefully I'll be able to get the suspension in soon after. Pics to come once installed
Old 03-10-2007, 02:26 PM

CLK 550
Congrats. Can't wait to see the pics...

Also, saw your post on the "tire and wheels" forum. I just got a set of F1 GS-D3s put on yesterday.

Last edited by atl2nyc; 03-10-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I'm interested in hearing about any rubbing issues as well. I guess you could always get some hubcentric spacers if you had to

Wider tires won't hurt performance imho, with the exception of wider front tires - they will track cracks in the road a lot more and maybe hurt your turning radius if they rub.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Nice, I wish I had 10's in the rear. I still get enough tire spin with ESP off that ESP still cuts out the power when I launch hard. I get very frustrated with my car sometimes because of the overly protective ESP. In my fathers SL55 I can do standstill burnouts and parking lot donuts for as long as I feel. In my car, as soon as I breakstand the whole car bogs down for 2 full seconds. So yeah, wider rubber would be very helpful. But for a V6, I don't think the car has enough tq to make the difference. But for looks wide rear wheels look beautiful but why not go to 19"s?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:47 PM

W209 CLK
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Nice, I wish I had 10's in the rear. I still get enough tire spin with ESP off that ESP still cuts out the power when I launch hard. I get very frustrated with my car sometimes because of the overly protective ESP. In my fathers SL55 I can do standstill burnouts and parking lot donuts for as long as I feel. In my car, as soon as I breakstand the whole car bogs down for 2 full seconds. So yeah, wider rubber would be very helpful. But for a V6, I don't think the car has enough tq to make the difference. But for looks wide rear wheels look beautiful but why not go to 19"s?
Have you tried using sprintbooster to help with the launch?

I just received mine yesterday and haven't had time to put it on. I hear on the V8, it's a bit on the touchier side.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Nah, no sprint booster. Its just that I guess there's too much wheelspin and that makes ESP cut my car off at the launch.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:24 PM

W209 CLK
I forgot to add. I originally wanted 19"s, love 19"s, wanted 19"s; but they would be pothole magnets. It's been particular cold and icy this year and there are potholes popping up everywhere. Too many people I know ended up bending their rims, as the streets look more and more like it's been bombarded by allied artillery.

I think our city is spending most of it's resources preparing the venues for the upcoming olympics. I'm waiting still for them to repave the roads after all the upgraded water mains. Maybe 19's will become reasonable in the future, but not these days.

Not to mention I got the DPEs for a real steal.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Nice, make sure to post pics! The wide rear wheels are gonna look nice
Old 03-16-2007, 02:03 PM
zee

2004 Silver CLK500
Thumbs up

Nathan, I think 18s are the way to go for W209s. 19s have had some rubbing issues, plus our Canadian winters create way too many potholes for 19s to live longer.

Don't forget to post the pictures as well as your impression of the wheels. Very interested in getting to know how you find them in terms of their weight, handling, road feel.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:56 PM

W209 CLK
Originally Posted by atl2nyc
Congrats. Can't wait to see the pics...

Also, saw your post on the "tire and wheels" forum. I just got a set of F1 GS-D3s put on yesterday.
Hey ATL, How do you like the rubber? I'm still waiting for my rims to come in... should be late next week. I will also be picking up the rubber soon after as well. What is your impression on them? Have you had an opportunity to try it out in wet conditions?

Interested to hear what you have to say about them.

Originally Posted by zee
Nathan, I think 18s are the way to go for W209s. 19s have had some rubbing issues, plus our Canadian winters create way too many potholes for 19s to live longer.

Don't forget to post the pictures as well as your impression of the wheels. Very interested in getting to know how you find them in terms of their weight, handling, road feel.
Hey Adnann, how are things?

I will definately post some pics as soon as I have the wheels balanced and mounted. I am really looking forward to them as they should be arriving late next week. That's the problem with custom wheels is that you need to wait; thank god I didn't have to wait the standard 6-8 weeks so it's all good.

Here's a pic of what the wheels look like. They are DPE GT7s.

The only thing now is I am contemplating having another finish done on them. I am thinking either a gunmetal polish, Charcoal powdercoat, or black chrome to contrast the Brilliant Silver (typical) finish on my car; but then again maybe not.

I will post pics as soon as I get them. Hang in there!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:08 PM

CLK 550
Originally Posted by chixdiggit
Hey ATL, How do you like the rubber? I'm still waiting for my rims to come in... should be late next week. I will also be picking up the rubber soon after as well. What is your impression on them? Have you had an opportunity to try it out in wet conditions?

Interested to hear what you have to say about them.

No definitive thoughts yet, as I've only put a couple hundred miles on them. And no, I haven't yet driven them in wet conditions. But my initial perception is that I will be quite pleased.

It'll be a couple of weeks before I can give you another update as I just took my Carlssons off this morning to get refinished and straightened. The NY/NJ roads were not kind to them. During my first 2 years up there with those wheels, I had to get 3 repaired and 2 replaced altogether. And before moving back to Atlanta, I bent 2 of them again, I just never got around to getting 'em fixed. Given the roads are much better down here, I'm hoping this will be the last time I have pay for serious wheel repairs.

Anyways - I'm back to the stock 17s and Michelins for the next week or so....
Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK350C
I have 18x8.5 et32 and 18x9.5 et35 on my clk350 with h&r springs. pzeros need replacing at 10k miles. I am going to run 225/40/18 on the front with 265/35/18 on the rear. Does anyone think i will encounter any rubbing issues with this setup and lowered suspension. i am a little worried. please let me know if anyone knows for sure.