CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Comments on NYT Article ? CLK 500 "A face-lifted Benz for the Botox crowd."

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK
Arrow Comments on NYT Article ? CLK 500 "A face-lifted Benz for the Botox crowd."

New York Times October 6, 2002

BEHIND THE WHEEL | 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK500
High Style, Surgically Enhanced
By MICHELLE KREBS

• INSIDE TRACK: A face-lifted Benz for the Botox crowd.

DETROIT — Lot of baby boomers are having "some work done" on their sagging bodies — getting a tuck here and a nip there — and some of their cars are going under the scalpel, too. The wraps have come off the Mercedes-Benz CLK, a favorite coupe of the country club set, and the results are stunning.

Mercedes introduced the CLK in 1997 as a '98 model, confident that the withered market for two-door luxury cars would bloom again as aging boomers traded minivans and sport utilities for sportier, more personal cars. Engineers based the CLK on the compact C-Class sedan, but they designed the car as a coupe from the ground up, avoiding the compromises that would have been inherent in adapting a four-door car to a two-door design.

The bet paid off. Affluent boomers love the CLK, which is especially popular among women. The car has been in short supply and commanded premium prices in both the new- and used-car markets. Undoubtedly, the second-generation CLK, introduced this fall as a 2003 model, will be another hit, especially since the minor flaws of the previous car seem to have been corrected.

The new CLK will initially come in two versions: the top-of-the-line CLK500, powered by the 5-liter V-8 engine used in larger Mercedes sedans, and the less expensive CLK320, with a 3.2-liter V-6. The CLK convertibles remain largely unchanged for another year, when they will be updated with a new style similar to the coupe's. A high-performance version of the coupe, the CLK55 AMG, goes on sale later this year.

The face-lifted CLK500 that arrived in my driveway was drop-dead gorgeous in its elegant "ice blue" paint — which looked like pale green to me. This time, the coupe borrows more flourishes from the exclusive SL roadster, which was redone last year, than from the midsize E-Class sedan, which has also been redesigned for 2003.

It is impossible not to notice the huge three-pointed star on the grille. Lights encircle the mirrors like a dainty bracelet of sparkling diamonds, and the theme is repeated with a boomerang-shaped band of white inside the taillamp modules.

The new CLK looks as if it spent time at the gym, toning its muscles. Or did it simply get a tummy tuck? While the original design had bulging sides like a man who pumps too much iron, the new model has a more sculptured physique with a taut waist and curved lines that add interest and shape. The back end, trimmer and more tapered than its predecessor's, looks as if it underwent liposuction. The car is nearly three inches longer and has a thinner, more elongated silhouette. Other dimensions, including width and height, have increased slightly as well, adding to the interior room.

For a coupe, the cabin is relatively spacious. It also feels more airy than before — partly because of the higher roof and partly because there are no pillars between the side windows. Like the larger, top-of-the-line CL coupe, the CLK has returned to the pillarless hardtop look common on sporty cars of the 50's and 60's.

The CLK provides generous space for two rear-seat passengers, and it eases the pain of getting in with polite seat belts — what Mercedes calls an easy entry system. When you fold the front seatback forward, the shoulder belts automatically pull to the rear, out of the way, as the front seat moves forward. After the supportive, highly adjustable front seat returns to its upright position, a mechanical arm extends to hand the shoulder strap to the driver.

The rear seatback is split, and it folds to expand cargo capacity. The trunk measures just 10.4 cubic feet.

Inside, subtle touches, like an oval chrome ring around the glovebox handle and matching rings on the gauges, soften the dashboard and unify the interior and exterior,

The CLK's gauges offer visual interest. While the speedometer and tachometer are round, the smaller gauges on either side are vertical ovals with hash marks like a mercury thermometer. CLK passengers luxuriate in soft two-tone leather. There is burl walnut trim or, optional with the CLK500, aluminum accents.

The CLK320's V-6 produces 215 horsepower and peak torque of 221 pounds-feet. The CLK500's V-8 is rated at 302 horsepower and 339 pounds-feet. (The CLK55 will have more than 350 horsepower.) Both powertrains are paired to a silky five-speed automatic transmission that adapts the shifts to the way the car is being driven. A TouchShift feature lets the driver make gear changes by nudging the shifter.

The CLK320 starts at $44,565, including delivery charges, and the CLK500 lists at $52,865. The options on my test car cost nearly $6,000, including a whopping $1,595 for a built-in phone. The total sticker price was $59,690, which seems a lot for a coupe of this size, even if it is gorgeous and even if it is a Mercedes.

The CLK's beauty is more than skin deep, thanks to some mechanical improvements. Mercedes swapped the previous recirculating-ball steering system for more direct rack-and-pinion steering. Engineers tuned the suspension to make it more predictable in handling maneuvers.

The improvements are significant. The previous CLK felt heavy, with ponderous steering. The new car's handling is more responsive, matching the svelte new body, and the steering is lighter and more precise. My test car, which smoothly delivered incredible power — Motor Trend clocked the CLK500 at 5.8 seconds from zero to 60 m.p.h. — was far more fun to drive on curving roads.
You can order a "smart" cruise control, which maintains a preset distance between the CLK and the vehicle it is following, and a sonar parking sensor, which beeps when the CLK gets close to another object at low speed. Safety features include side air bags for the back seat and air bag curtains that cover the windows in a side-impact crash.

The CLK doesn't quite get a perfect 10. The center armrest, which cleverly opens from the front or from either side, jiggled — an affront from a company once known for its painstaking engineering and rock-solid build. The blower for the back seat is annoyingly loud, especially since it is so close to the driver's ear. Anyone juggling a purse and a tall latte will find the front cup holder, which slides out from the center of the dash, too well hidden.

Yet the CLK is certainly the best of its breed. In a word, the car is lovely — like the well-heeled, well-coifed women who will drive it to their spas.

• INSIDE TRACK: A face-lifted Benz for the Botox crowd.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:49 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK320
Works for me......I still want one!
Old 10-10-2002, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
What the hell is Botox???

?!?
Old 10-10-2002, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
i think botox is the stuff they inject in people's faces to reduce wrinkles. does this by very lightly paralyzing the facial muscles...

i found the article sort of funny b/c she says the w208 was a woman's car when many people say that it is very muscular. or maybe she means that women like the muscular car?
Old 10-11-2002, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Ah je cmprends

So that's what Botox is. Ecch. This shallow bag (oops, I mean professional NYT writer) doesn't seem to like the car. Or is she writing that the old CLK was getting a bit droopy and needed a facelift?? Either way, I don't agree. The old CLK has its charms as does the new one.

About the critique I've read on this Board that the new CLK is too feminine-looking, pretty or delicate, I don't get it. To me that is one of the main attractions in beautiful car design.

Hey, for guys who are short on masculine equipment, maybe they do need a butch-looking vehicle as a kind of compensation. May I suggest something really hideous like a Hummer or Unimog?

The most beautiful cars of all time were "feminine" designs:
-Jaguar E-type
-Ferrari GTO
-Cisitalia 202

Would anyone turn one of these down, especially the GTO?

Anyway, the stereotypical clichés in the NYT article were crap, in fact the whole piece is shallow drivel. Next...
Old 10-19-2002, 12:35 AM

CLK
Thumbs down Wrap Up to NYT

Well, looks like the NYT didn't score many points with this review.

:o
Old 10-19-2002, 03:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back to the Botox... Botox is actually Botulism injected into people's muscles to kill most of the muscle. Doing so helps prevent wrinkling, however many have other thoughts on it...
Old 10-21-2002, 10:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
Here is my thought -- the person that wrote the article is an idiot.

1) the botox anology would be correct for the recent S Class facelight, not the clk's complete design change

2) the CLK is owned primarily by men (about 80%), not women
Old 12-27-2004, 06:18 PM

I first caught a glance of the new CLK's design a couple years ago when i saw the newest CLK DTM. I for one don't think that the new CLK is better than its predecessor. WHile they may have improved upon the faults of the old, this new design doesn't come close to causing as much nostalgia as the last.

I think the NEw CLK would have scored big had it used the Slanted Egg Shell headlight design on the new E's. That headlamp design isn't SL-inspired styling, but rather C-class borrowings. As for the back end, definitely not as muscular as the last. When i see the "new and improved" design, i see "lowly C-Class Coupe" instead of CLK. -Then again, the CLK is based on the C-class.

The old CLK, while based on the C-class, clearly borrowed front and back end features of the more upscale E-Class. This was clearly a hit.
This new CLK may have the mechanical/platform of the first but the styling is not consistent with the first. i dont think that what we are being sold is a CLK at all. Then again who am i to say what a "CLK" is supposed to be? It really has no heritage yet. Maybe im just so lusty over the last design that im still p-whipped by it. Just my two ccents.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by AlexusGullwing
I first caught a glance of the new CLK's design a couple years ago when i saw the newest CLK DTM. I for one don't think that the new CLK is better than its predecessor. WHile they may have improved upon the faults of the old, this new design doesn't come close to causing as much nostalgia as the last.

I think the NEw CLK would have scored big had it used the Slanted Egg Shell headlight design on the new E's. That headlamp design isn't SL-inspired styling, but rather C-class borrowings. As for the back end, definitely not as muscular as the last. When i see the "new and improved" design, i see "lowly C-Class Coupe" instead of CLK. -Then again, the CLK is based on the C-class.

The old CLK, while based on the C-class, clearly borrowed front and back end features of the more upscale E-Class. This was clearly a hit.
This new CLK may have the mechanical/platform of the first but the styling is not consistent with the first. i dont think that what we are being sold is a CLK at all. Then again who am i to say what a "CLK" is supposed to be? It really has no heritage yet. Maybe im just so lusty over the last design that im still p-whipped by it. Just my two ccents.
man welcome to 2 years ago, newby.
u make it sound like the new clk just came out.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Predator
man welcome to 2 years ago, newby.
u make it sound like the new clk just came out.
point is, im still lusting over it. Damn, maybe i shoulda checked the date on that thing, i stumbled upon it and must've somehow mistaked it for recent. Anyway, i'll just play this one off and hope it goes unnoticed

Last edited by AlexusGullwing; 12-28-2004 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by AlexusGullwing
point is, im still lusting over it. Damn, maybe i shoulda checked the date on that thing, i stumbled upon it and must've somehow mistaked it for recent. Anyway, i'll just play this one off and hope it goes unnoticed
hey no big deal, a lot of people feel the way you do. You are entitled to your opinion. I personally drove the clk430 and compared to my clk500 it doesnt feel as nice and drive as nice. I think the interior(in w209) is a big notch up compared to the w208 thats a fact. As far as preference for w208 or w209 is up to the individual. I personally like the more elegant/classy looks of the w209.
maybe you will like the new clk coming out in 2007
Attached Thumbnails Comments on NYT Article ?  CLK 500 "A face-lifted Benz for the Botox crowd."-2007clk.jpg  
Old 01-06-2005, 11:21 AM

CLK 200 KOMPRESSOR Elegance
This new CLK may have the mechanical/platform of the first but the styling is not consistent with the first
..........this "new" CLK doesn't have the mechanical/platform of the first..........thats why its so much nicer to drive !

I get your point though, the original CLK caused a huge impact when it was launched because it was the first of the new style "sexy" Mercs. Successors cannot cause the same impact despite being a much improved car in every respect. The new one is far more practical too and safer !