CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Wierd occurence on my clk500 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like Crazy
Wierd occurence on my clk500 today

hi everyone,

i have mentioned in other threads that i got an 05 clk500 last saturday as pre-owned from an acura dealer. anyway, today as i was about to leave home, i noticed that the car did not start as quickly as it should so i thought maybe the battery just needs to charge itself up.

well later on in the day, as i was on my way home, the radio suddenly stopped working then would turn back on 5 mins later then turn off again. the next things that happened were the most puzzling. now the from lcd screen stated a warning of a battery sign in red and visit workshop. the abs light was on and the esp(i dont remember what it is) was marked as off on the screen. the gas indicator turned on and a warning to check the gas cap was stated. all in all i had 4 malfunctions. in addition to this, the car would shift erratically and would not go past 2nd gear and would reset itself after a while.

good thing that i was a very loyal customer to a local mb dealership a few years ago where me and my family got a w208, a w203 sedan and a w203 coupe and all of it were serviced by them. when i moved out of the house, i dropped out of the mb crowd because i know that mbs tend to get really expensive. (hey if i wasnt spending my own money i wont mind. ) i called my old SA and she actually remembered me and told me its been a while and told me that the car may still very well be under warranty. to make the long story short, when i got to the dealership, all the paperwork was already done as she asked me which dealership i got it from and she actually got the vin of the car for me. she then asked me if i needed a car and they provided me with a c300. im not complaining. i know we dont like to pay for service but we actually get what we pay for right?

well i hope they can get everything squared away. they said it might just be a low voltage on the battery. i didnt realize these cars were totally integrated to the battery. unlike traditional cars when one component fails, it stays there and not the entire car would shudder and sputter.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yo Momma
i hope you still have warranty cuz if you dont then be ready for a nice thick bill.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 AM

Like Crazy
Originally Posted by ZEEK
i hope you still have warranty cuz if you dont then be ready for a nice thick bill.

hehehe... yep the mb warranty is still there. my SA confirmed this for me as well. they know im not spending my parents money anymore. haha. i also have an extended warranty till 2013 up to 100k if in case. paid almost 4 grand for the warranty last saturday so it better be good for something.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Like Crazy
i just got a call from the dealership and they said it was just the battery that went south. theyre putting in a new battery right now. at least im good for three more years right? its just wierd though that the entire car malfunctions if the battery cells are dead.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:23 PM

'10 c63,'03expedition,ducati999,22'Donzi
come to think of it, the battery in my expedition went a couple of years ago and it had nearly the same symptoms.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:41 AM

Like Crazy
well it turns out that the battery was not the source of the issue. it was the voltage regulator and took out the battery with it. now everything is working perfectly. =)
Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Dr_feelgood,

are you the same guy on the nissan altima coupe form ? just wanna know
Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 AM

Like Crazy
Originally Posted by Snowbird3599
Dr_feelgood,

are you the same guy on the nissan altima coupe form ? just wanna know
nope. i dont have a nissan. i hope the guy didnt do anything awful. i dont want to get beaten up in the case of mistaken identity.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:33 PM

W209 CLK500, W202 C43 AMG, E39 M5, E30 318is
that happened to mine, they said it was the Voltage Regulator...under warranty and it was fixed..