CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Installing Parrot into D2B BOSE Audio 10 system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2009 | 08:13 AM

CLK 270 CDI '03 W209
Question Installing Parrot into D2B BOSE Audio 10 system

Hi!

I am interested in installing a Parrot MKi9100 Bluetooth system into my CLK 270 CDI 2003 W209 which has an Audio 10 CD and which I believe uses a D2B Fibre-Optic link to a BOSE amp in the back.

From what I can gather from reading various internet forums is that there might be an issue because the speakers might be non-standard 2-ohm speakers and I am concerned that the Parrot will damage these speakers, as it connects to them directly. The other issue is the fact that as far as I can tell the Parrot is designed to fit near the head unit but to access the speaker cables it's going to have to go near the amp, which is in the boot so might be a bit of a nightmare to achieve, and quite costly if done professionally.

There is one post on a Parrot forum in which they recommend fitting an external speaker in cars which use fibre optics. I don't really want one of these - I am keen to keep the stock look of the car.

Anybody got any experience of this? Fitted a Parrot or other bluetooth system into a D2B-based audio system? Is there an issue with the speakers? Will the speakers be damaged? How difficult is installing near the amp and getting cables through to the front?

So many questions...!
Old 09-01-2009 | 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
From what I understand the speakers are 2ohm. I have a 2003 CLK320 and because of the same issue and not being able to connect AUX for Ipod I'm researching now on head unit replacement that would also require new amp and unless I get a 2ohm output amp, new speakers. I also did not want to replace all and was thinking about staying with original equipment but honestly the stock unit and speakers are quite crappy to began with. Going with aftermarket head unit will also allow a much more advanced setup and things like USB to a thumb drive to totally bypass CDs and even ipod. Still trying to find a unit that actually works well with a well designed interface and quick response time. Looks like every unit I read reviews for has some deal breaking issues.

do a search on this and other forums

some threads on installations

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ect-clk55.html

http://deverse.com/jbm/2007/09/24/me...ic-d3-install/

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...s-upgrade.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...questions.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...actory-av.html
Old 09-01-2009 | 02:24 PM

CLK 270 CDI '03 W209
Well, it looks like mine's not a BOSE system after all! I emailed mercupgrades.com and some guy came back and said that it's probably not a BOSE system with the Audio 10 fitted, because the BOSE was an expensive option and usually ony for COMAND systems. Mine's a UK car so it might be different in the US.

So I then went and took the boot apart to see if I could see an amp and there wasn't one there, so unless the amp's upfront (and from what I can tell from reading other posts/forums it should be in the rear) it's not a BOSE system; the speakers are driven direct from the Audio 10 CD.

If that's true, then it's good news for me. I'm quite happy with the sound out of the Audio 10 CD (from reading other posts it beats the Audio 10 Cassette), especially on CD. OK I recognise it ain't top drawer but it's crisp and bassy, probably not as full and rich as a top-end system but it's good enough for me to leave it alone.

I've found an Aux-in device (from autotoys.com, about $200 at the moment) which puts a digital input on the Audio 10 via D2B as if it's coming from a CD-changer unit, so I can rig up something for playing MP3's/WAV etc, which'll be great, and I also found that the Audio 10 CD specs (Becker 6021) has a minimum speaker load of 4-ohms, which means (if it's not BOSE) my speakers are standard units and can accept a Parrot system!

I also remember seeing on Ebay a system that will allow the use of the steering-wheel controls with the Parrot CK3000 Evolution, which I'll have to look further into. If that's true I'll have a fully stock-looking setup that'll play MP3's and have a bluetooth phone handsfree on the steering-wheel controls!

If you are looking to use Ipod there's something called a DICE system which will also charge the Ipod as well as connect it to the Audio 10. Only thing is you have to set-up 6 playlists named CD01, CD02 etc. that the Audio 10 will see as 6 CD's, and you won't get track titles, just Track 1, Track 2 etc. Plus it's about $400 or so. I'm going with the cheaper option and probably set-up a Nano on the back of the sun-visor so I can read and choose tracks easily, but it's out-of-view when parked-up.

So it looks like my system's coming together! Good luck with yours - it's certainly more problematic for bluetooth handsfree if you've got BOSE - the guy at Mercupgrades.com said if it's BOSE he'd recommend an external speaker if using a Parrot, and just rig it up to the "mute" input on the Audio 10. The Parrot won't drive the 2-ohm speakers very well, could damage them, and it's designed to mount in the front, whereas to access the speakers it's got to be near the amp in the rear, so the cabling suddenly becomes a nightmare...

Hope all this helps!
Old 09-01-2009 | 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

why don;t you run your VIN number and get details on what was included with your car?

http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/

My 2003 CLK320 has Bose speakers ar at least the logos on the covers and the Bose amplifier in the trunk on the passenger side. You will need to remove the inside to see it.

Can you post a pic of your head unit? I will try to post my tonight.
Old 09-01-2009 | 07:03 PM

CLK 270 CDI '03 W209
OK I'm not sure if this is how to do it but here goes. This is exactly how my Audio 10 CD unit looks. It is a Becker BE6021. And I definitely don't have a BOSE system

So it looks like I'm good to go. Just awaiting a reply from the Ebay sellers of the kit to allow the Parrot to be hooked up to the steering wheel controls.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Installing Parrot into D2B BOSE Audio 10 system-becker_be6021_front_detail.jpg  
Old 09-01-2009 | 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This does look deferent then my unit

here is my unit

the tape deck is behind the display that folds down. The CD is the changer in the glove box.

I will reply to your detailed post later on got to run now

Last edited by dariusf; 09-01-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-01-2009 | 07:49 PM

CLK 270 CDI '03 W209
I'd chuck in the Audio 10 CD unit which many people on other posts seem to prefer the sound over the cassette unit (obviously you're still stuck with the BOSE amp and speakers but maybe it get's a better signal from the Audio 10 CD rather than the tape?). This keeps the stock look, the steering controls, the immobiliser coding, everything. You'll have to ditch the CD Changer if you want the Aux in option.

Nothing helps you with the handsfree though, unless you add an external speaker, or ditch the amp and speakers...
Old 09-01-2009 | 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have thought about it and what I really want. Decided that even as I have 3 ipods in the house and could use ne of them old gen 2 15gb HD based one exclusively in the car, I really want something solid state with out a battery and a need to recharge. Using a USB thumb drive sounds like the best solution. You can get 16gb for relatively little cost and that gives plenty of space even for my 320 kbps encoded files ranging from 15-20mb for each track still lets me store ~ 900 songs.

Now what I need is to find a head unit that has a well designed intuitive interface allowing to quickly browse threw the library. Need to be able to do it with as little attention needed as possible, a knob one can rotate and press to select would be best. A multi line display with enough room for longer titles, something easily readable. Needs to be able to 'boot up' quickly and with as little delay of reading the directory structure as possible. Not interested in the navigation units based on windows CE that boot up in a min or longer. Also would be nice if it was not too flashy like the Pioneer DEHP5100UB. I like the way it looks and the interface for the USB was not bad, quick, but it plays all these crazy animations during playback which according to some reviews can't be turned off. I think it would be a major distraction while driving. A clock would be a better choice Alpine iDA-X305 looks nice with its color display but not sure why they decided to place the knob in the middle of the unit and use the tiny display where you can't fit the whole track title. The Alpine CDA-9887 looks like it might be a good option, you can also adjust the illumination color for the unit to match to the orange one in our cars.

Changing the head unit requires the change of the amp. Now if the speakers ar 2 ohms then they would have to also be replaced. This all adds up to a significant upgrade cost but the result can be quite a bit better then what I have now.
Old 09-02-2009 | 05:09 PM

CLK 270 CDI '03 W209
Well, yes, the cost starts to rocket when you need to swap out amps and speakers as well - bear in mind the link to the BOSE is fibre optic D2B and they don't make amps/headunits for this any more, so the cable to the amp will also have to come out. Plus the CD changer will be out as well - it's also D2B...

It's a shame to have to alter the stock MB look though IMHO. Have you looked at the COMAND systems? Judging by the costs you're looking at, this might be a better option at a similar cost - and keeps the MB look inside. I've never seen an aftermarket unit fitted to an MB in the flesh, and the pictures I have seen, well they just look wrong, somehow! That's just my opinion.

Anyhow, I've decided what I'm doing - Aux in on the Audio 10 for MP3/WAV, and a parrot CK3000 evo with a steering-wheel control kit added. Should come in at about £400 GBP for the parts, and I'm going to have a go at installing myself. I'll post the results up here with a few pictures...

Good luck with yours man!