CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK w209 transmission problem UGENT!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2009 | 04:11 PM

CLK320
Unhappy CLK w209 transmission problem UGENT!

Hi, guys I am new to this forum..I want to ask about my w209 CLK320 year:2004 mileage:55000. I did some research on my transmission already..I found out that a lot of people have the same problem which is they NEED to REPLACE a new tranny for their cars (which I did already)..but the problem is still here..when the tranny shifts my car shakes(2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th gear), and sometimes it missed the gear from 2nd to 3rd gear ( heard the grinding sound)..since I did some research I followed a lot of peoples' decision - replaced a new tranny (MB dealer found metal when they took off the pan (from what I know is the torque convertor is already worn out so the metal came down))
Now, during shifting, the car still shakes or I can hear the grinding sound..the shop said they will try to re-program the tranny computer and see if it works fine..the warranty is expired and I am not a pro..I really need your help..I am really worried about my car..

Please help,

Km
Old 09-14-2009 | 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
It good to see you ONLY post when you need HELP !!
Old 09-14-2009 | 08:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by kmjs
Hi, guys I am new to this forum..I want to ask about my w209 CLK320 year:2004 mileage:55000. I did some research on my transmission already..I found out that a lot of people have the same problem which is they NEED to REPLACE a new tranny for their cars (which I did already)..but the problem is still here..when the tranny shifts my car shakes(2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th gear), and sometimes it missed the gear from 2nd to 3rd gear ( heard the grinding sound)..since I did some research I followed a lot of peoples' decision - replaced a new tranny (MB dealer found metal when they took off the pan (from what I know is the torque convertor is already worn out so the metal came down))
Now, during shifting, the car still shakes or I can hear the grinding sound..the shop said they will try to re-program the tranny computer and see if it works fine..the warranty is expired and I am not a pro..I really need your help..I am really worried about my car..

Please help,

Km
How many miles have you put on the new tranny? Where did you buy it? You say the warranty is expired, is that on the car or the new tranny?
Old 09-14-2009 | 08:41 PM

2005 clk500
A software re-program may be in order, but I don’t like the fact you hear the grinding noise, that’s never good. You stated you already installed a new transmission, didn’t it come with a warranty? Also when you replace the transmission did you also replace the radiator? Your year/model is suppose to issues that will affect the transmission.

READ THIS WEBSITE:http://repairpal.com/mercedes-benz-clk320-2004/common_problems

Keep us posted.
Old 09-14-2009 | 08:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by slicksterps1
A software re-program may be in order, but I don’t like the fact you hear the grinding noise, that’s never good. You stated you already installed a new transmission, didn’t it come with a warranty? Also when you replace the transmission did you also replace the radiator? Your year/model is suppose to issues that will affect the transmission.

READ THIS WEBSITE:http://repairpal.com/mercedes-benz-clk320-2004/common_problems

Keep us posted.

Nice Link!
Old 09-14-2009 | 08:48 PM

2005 clk500
Thanks ...Im just trying to help
Old 09-14-2009 | 09:03 PM

CLK320
To every body..

sorry guys(especially Klinh)..it's not like I really need help then I post..anyways..sorry

my car is still sitting at that shop, the new tranny is a Re-manufactured from phoenix (AM transmission(you can find it from ebay), DO NOT GO THERE) I live in tucson,az..I couldnt go there everyday and stay every minute to see them working on my car..but one thing I am sure that is they are not honest about the whole thing..they took my tranny right away when it came off(they said) but i did see them putting a new unit into my car..anyways..i am still waiting..they said they will give me a call tomorrow afternoon..if they did it properly with the tranny, what kind of problem I am dealing with now?

Thanks for your replies..

Km
Old 09-14-2009 | 09:12 PM

CLK320
slicksterps1

radiator..i didnt replace it..the re-man tranny has 30months unlimited miles warranty..honestly i havent saw a lot of posts people saying that they have this problem..almost all of them replaced a new tranny, some of them were lucky because they still had the factory warranty so they didnt have to pay that much for repairing it..

have you guys ever had this problem?
Old 09-15-2009 | 12:18 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
sounds like you got an inferior rebuild done, either way most transmission shops have at least a 1 year warranty so they should fix it for free.
Old 09-15-2009 | 12:38 AM

10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
sorry guys(especially Klinh)..it's not like I really need help then I post..anyways..sorry

my car is still sitting at that shop, the new tranny is a Re-manufactured from phoenix (AM transmission(you can find it from ebay), DO NOT GO THERE) I live in tucson,az..I couldnt go there everyday and stay every minute to see them working on my car..but one thing I am sure that is they are not honest about the whole thing..they took my tranny right away when it came off(they said) but i did see them putting a new unit into my car..anyways..i am still waiting..they said they will give me a call tomorrow afternoon..if they did it properly with the tranny, what kind of problem I am dealing with now?

Thanks for your replies..

Km
Dam that sucks, if your within their warranty then have them fix and repalce everything for free and restart the warranty. No if and or but about it, they did the work and must stand behind it, i would take legal action if they do not. Im in AZ also, maybe we can meet up. If you truly think they messed up then pay someone else to check it out, or get it reporgrammed, if that does not fix it then it can only be the transmission.

Tony
Old 09-15-2009 | 12:57 AM

CLK320
AzCamel & AMS Performance

yea..the tranny has 30 months unlimited miles warrenty..the first thing that comes in mind is that THEY DID NOT replace the new tranny into my car even though I saw it by myself(the tranny was on the way into my car then they asked me to leave) that they were putting it in..most of the cases which they changed the trannies then done deal..dont have to re-program it or anything..they may see me as a student,they know i dont have much experience then they try to rip me off because i am here in tucson not in phoenix..i dont know..i dont feel that they are honest to me with what happened exactly to my car..this is my first time having this kind of big trouble..any solution that could help me?

thanks again for your comments..

P.S. Azcamel, I would love to meet you up here in tucson..could you send me your email address so we can contact?

Km
Old 09-15-2009 | 01:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Anytime you put in a new tranny you have to reset all the tranny adaption codes, if you don't it will shift really weird b/c its used to the old tranny. Doing the pedal ECU reset trick will do this partially but its not as good as the official way.
Old 09-15-2009 | 02:17 AM

like AMS suggested reset the trans/program it and see if it work but the problem im seeing so far is the grinding. a program error will cause weird shifting not grinding, that seems more like a bad transmission job. just try reseting it by way of the pedal like AMS suggested and see if it helps, if it does then do the full reprogram, if the pedal reset does not work then for sure its the transmission. at that point i would have them fix it asap, if they give you any trouble then get a lawyer, the campus usually have free legal advise for students.

Tony
tonynguyen923@yahoo.com
Old 09-16-2009 | 12:58 AM

CLK320
update

i had my friend (a mechanic) called them today..they explained a little more about this situation..they said..it might be the PCM or something like that? if the PCM really has problem..what should i do?

P.S. PCM = valve body?

Km
Old 09-16-2009 | 03:20 AM

2013 SL550
I do own 04 clk 320... I'm also worried about my car.
I hope you solve this problem quickly as possible..
keep update!
Old 09-16-2009 | 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
if the PCM really has problem..what should i do?

P.S. PCM = valve body?

Km

It a pressure regulator valve that open/close during gears changing. If these valve are not fully open due to low pressure or jus a bad valve when the tranny shift, it won't have enough pressure that require to push to change gears. That's the best I can explain it. It had these same body valve problems on my 2001 Clk 430 repair under warranty back in 2003.

Last edited by Klinh; 09-16-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2009 | 04:36 AM

CLK320
To every body..

hey guys..finally I got my car back..why the transmission still had problem..because they did not re-program in the right way..so they took it back to dealership to re-program..fianlly its done..thanks all for you!!

Km
Old 09-18-2009 | 03:30 PM

sweet, keep and eye on it! that grinding still worries me, even if its for a short period of time. Keep that warranty handy and if any, I mean anything gives you a hint that something is wrong take it back asap. If shop could not program a trans correctly after the "fixed" it, it would worry me that they did not fix it correctly either.
Good luck bro.