CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Crashed my car last night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CLK 500
Crashed my car last night

This is around 12:30am on the BQE Westbound right after the Hamilton Avenue exit. A car braked in front of me, so I braked hard too, and then the guy behind me smashes into me and the impact caused me to release my brake and smashed into the guy in front of me. Then the guy behind me got hit too, I don't know how since upon the impact my glasses fell off . Right now I am waiting for the police report and I will try to claim insurance from the guy who ran into me. The guy who I hit left the scene I think. It all just happened so quick.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
damn bro. that blows.
well at least your still safe.
but yeah accidents happen so fast. good luck with everything. and keep us posted on how things go. is the car totalled?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 PM

2004 CLK 500
The engine and tran should still be working so I think it is mostly and some electric or so I hope. front bumper is damage and front lip is definitely gone.. the driver side headlight is pushed in (still working the last time I checked), the fog lights are killed, driver side fender damaged, grille and hood is a bit pushed in. rear bumper is damaged and the passenger side tail light is damaged as well as the bottom end of the bumper is kind of crunched in. I think that is about how detail I can get
Old 10-19-2009, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
ouch.

well at least your still in good health. no injuries im assuming?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:02 PM

2004 CLK 500
asides from minor whiplash effect, no injuries at all.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:02 PM

2004 CLK 500
my airbag didnt go off though :\ i should get that checked
Old 10-19-2009, 04:53 PM

GLE 450 2021, SLK 350 2013, Honda Civc Type R 2019, Suzuki GSXR 750 2014, Ducati Diavel 2018
Early October, some guy in an Oddessy rear-ended my CLK. The damage cost is 6k for his insurance. Have to get a whole new AMG back bumper and undent the right side and paint job. Accidents sucks! It's been almost a month, and I don't have my car back.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 PM

CLK500
Don't fotget the lower value of car now. Get that claim in also.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
If during your attempt to stop you didn't hit the car in front of, i.e. came to a complete stop, the guy that hit you in the a$$ is responsible for damages to all cars involved.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLK500
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
If during your attempt to stop you didn't hit the car in front of, i.e. came to a complete stop, the guy that hit you in the a$$ is responsible for damages to all cars involved.
+1

It's sad to hear this kind of story but I'm glad that no one is hurt.

Hope everything works out with the insurance.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 AM

2005 CLK500
i dont know the law where you are.

but in both FL and CT, if you cant prevent hitting the car in front of you, you're responsible for it. driver who hits you is only responsible for he and you. you're by law supposed to be able to control your car enough to prevent hitting the car in front of you by creating enough space between yourselves for your brakes to stop you from hitting.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:31 AM

CLK320 SLK350 C350
Originally Posted by Fatalfury
The engine and tran should still be working so I think it is mostly and some electric or so I hope. front bumper is damage and front lip is definitely gone.. the driver side headlight is pushed in (still working the last time I checked), the fog lights are killed, driver side fender damaged, grille and hood is a bit pushed in. rear bumper is damaged and the passenger side tail light is damaged as well as the bottom end of the bumper is kind of crunched in. I think that is about how detail I can get
Good luck bro. I rear ended someone last month, almost same damage in the front, except the fog lights no damage. Insurance comp has to pay 15K to fix it, now is already the 5th week, I still haven't got my car back.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 175 Likes on 145 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
When I rear-ended someone w/ my 02 C230 last month, body shop guessed about $5K in damage and ins co called it totaled, gave me $12K+! (So I bought the CLK)
Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 PM

2004 CLK 500
well, nobody admitted fault last night and the car in front that i went into took off since after I got my head back up i saw a car speeding away mind you my glasses also fell off at the time :\ . All I know was that as I was braking i allowed myself enough space before someone plowed me in the back and pushed me forward into the guy who left.

Either way I guess that does not effect me at all. But then there were two other cars behind me in the end so i guess that is all that matters.

And damn 15k? that is alot. How badly was it damaged in the front? Pics? It was pouring that night so I only got a picture from my car in the inside so far.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 PM

CLK320 SLK350 C350
well, nobody admitted fault last night and the car in front that i went into took off since after I got my head back up i saw a car speeding away mind you my glasses also fell off at the time :\ . All I know was that as I was braking i allowed myself enough space before someone plowed me in the back and pushed me forward into the guy who left.

Either way I guess that does not effect me at all. But then there were two other cars behind me in the end so i guess that is all that matters.

And damn 15k? that is alot. How badly was it damaged in the front? Pics? It was pouring that night so I only got a picture from my car in the inside so far.
Not much Damage. Didn't take any photo. The bodyshop told me that the bumper need to be replace, both headlight the grille and both fender.

I think it was because I went back to MB's bodyshop, if I went to a private bodyshop it will be cheaper.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:24 AM

2004 CLK 500
Yeah I know the headlights can be expensive. Like 2k each I think. I think both of mine were ok they were just pushed in. Well at least one side was ok for sure because it was still there in its original spot. Which mb shop did you take it to? my car was towed because my fender was slightly crunched in and my 18s couldn't clear to turn so the people who towed me would be doing the work for me as well as take care of things from the insurance of the guy who hit me. I think fog light kits are cheap, so I guess as long as my headlights are working it should be alot less or hopefully alot less. At 15k you could've gotten like total loss lol!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by chrislis
i dont know the law where you are.

but in both FL and CT, if you cant prevent hitting the car in front of you, you're responsible for it. driver who hits you is only responsible for he and you. you're by law supposed to be able to control your car enough to prevent hitting the car in front of you by creating enough space between yourselves for your brakes to stop you from hitting.
WRONG

If you reread the OP's post you will see that he claimed to have stopped without hitting the car in front. Only after he got hit in his rear did he wind up hitting the car in front. If your insurance company plays the game as you described above then you better find a new one.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 175 Likes on 145 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV

here's my c230 damage. body man just rattled off the top of his head "bumper, a thousand; hood, a thousand; radiator, a thousand; headlights, a thousand each...." I won't try to justify his numbers, but his point was that before you even start looking around for things like engine damage, frame damage, etc., you've likely got a minimum of $5000 worth of damage. The insurance company has an equation that puts the repair cost with the salvage value to determine whether it's a total loss, and the high price of MB parts works "against" us in both areas. I put "against" in quotes, because I was adamant that I wanted my C-Class fixed.....until I saw the settlement offer! Then I went CLK shopping!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:20 PM

CLK320 SLK350 C350
Yeah I know the headlights can be expensive. Like 2k each I think. I think both of mine were ok they were just pushed in. Well at least one side was ok for sure because it was still there in its original spot. Which mb shop did you take it to? my car was towed because my fender was slightly crunched in and my 18s couldn't clear to turn so the people who towed me would be doing the work for me as well as take care of things from the insurance of the guy who hit me. I think fog light kits are cheap, so I guess as long as my headlights are working it should be alot less or hopefully alot less. At 15k you could've gotten like total loss lol!

Well, I took it to the MB shop in Vancouver. I agree, for 15K it could be total already. But, I guess it was thee price difff betwwn US and CAN, I can buy another one for $17K in US, but in CAN it will cost 25K+ . So, I guess that's the reason why it wasn't total .
Old 10-21-2009, 09:09 PM

2004 CLK 500
Originally Posted by eddieo45

here's my c230 damage. body man just rattled off the top of his head "bumper, a thousand; hood, a thousand; radiator, a thousand; headlights, a thousand each...." I won't try to justify his numbers, but his point was that before you even start looking around for things like engine damage, frame damage, etc., you've likely got a minimum of $5000 worth of damage. The insurance company has an equation that puts the repair cost with the salvage value to determine whether it's a total loss, and the high price of MB parts works "against" us in both areas. I put "against" in quotes, because I was adamant that I wanted my C-Class fixed.....until I saw the settlement offer! Then I went CLK shopping!
whoa that looked really bad.

anyways the attached was taken from inside my car as you see my hood damage does not look as intense and my radiator and headlights are all working still after the incident so i think its just cosmo (keep fingers crossed) for me the major expensive stuff is probably the hood-fender-and 1 of the taillights.

Either way a little update about what is happening right now is that I might have to take it to court since Allstate Liabilities said their guy was not at fault
Attached Thumbnails Crashed my car last night-10234_585435151265_16410182_34198328_928868_n.jpg  
Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLK500
whoa that looked really bad.

anyways the attached was taken from inside my car as you see my hood damage does not look as intense and my radiator and headlights are all working still after the incident so i think its just cosmo (keep fingers crossed) for me the major expensive stuff is probably the hood-fender-and 1 of the taillights.

Either way a little update about what is happening right now is that I might have to take it to court since Allstate Liabilities said their guy was not at fault
That's not good to hear. Did you try asking your insurance agent to call Allstate on your behalf?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 PM

2004 CLK 500
in my homestate (IL) we are only required to be on liabilities... so it is not my agents job to go get the other persons liabilities especially for a case that happened in NY ..or maybe I just have lousy people :\
Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 AM

2005 CLK500
WRONG

If you reread the OP's post you will see that he claimed to have stopped without hitting the car in front. Only after he got hit in his rear did he wind up hitting the car in front. If your insurance company plays the game as you described above then you better find a new one.
Same exact thing happened to me. Dead stopped and got plowed into from behind. My car with full lock on brakes and skid marks on ground hit the car in front of me. Didn't even get insurance involved because I handed the guy $500 on the spot to take care of his bumper and called it even. But did get a ticket for wreckless driving due to "unable to control vehicle and not allowing enough space." It sucks to say, but even if you can't help it, those who hit from behind are always going to get pinned regardless if it was intentional or not. He's lucky dude in front of him left.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 AM

04 CLK 500
An Authentic AMG front bumper of the 500's is almost $2,000. I had mine replaced (OEM). It has the AMG logo on the bottom of it and says Afferbach ,Germany my other OEM didnt have this.