CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Will 2003 E55k engine fit Clk500 need for swapping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010 | 11:16 PM

Sold - CLK500
Guys i will porbably have the 55k motor in my car by the end of the year..

im currently upgrading the brakes and sorting out the handling before i start thinking about adding power.

I will definately let you know if i pull the trigger and buy a 55k motor.

Mike
Old 03-09-2010 | 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Keep us posted Mike.

Andy
Old 03-09-2010 | 01:30 PM

2003 CLK500
yea Mike thats a much better approach thats what i did i had my springs, shocks, sways and new pads and rotors all around with the stainless steel brake lines. I know once the engine is started on there wont be extra $$ left to work on the suspension and braking most the money will go on the engine work. I drove both 55 amg models w208 and w209 and my cart felt much stiffer and flat with my setup so imagine how much more youll enjoy that speed with the proper setup deff worth the $$ its a completely diff animal. Keep us updated to on your progress and ill try to do the same when i get my car back..Thanks GL!
Old 03-09-2010 | 01:31 PM

2003 CLK500
Mike i went back and read the post you said 55k motor not 55 na ...let me ask you did u find out by any chance what would be required for such a swap as opposed to the na motor? besides engine, tranny, ecu, ? Thanks
Old 03-10-2010 | 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Here you go a C230 with E55 motor. The car is belong to a guy name Sunil ...not sure who he is lolz but anyway, check this out

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...installed.html

Andy

Last edited by M-bENZ; 03-10-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-10-2010 | 10:18 AM

2003 CLK500
Yea i was actually reading that thread yesterday lol, i duno if its my computer or because the thread is old but most the pics dont show up for me and it seems like this guy ran into more problems installing it because of the big **** engine and just about everything else being different because it was meant for a v8. I think for us it should be a little simpler since our w209 already has the base m113 engine there, but its deff a useful thread its good you posted that up Andy!
Old 03-10-2010 | 12:58 PM

CLK 500
Originally Posted by pacboy22
Yea im gonna need a tranny anyways because i had the coolant leak issue i already replaced the radiator and did the flush and the tranny shifted fine for about a week and back to the same problem, if i can find the tranny along with the motor that would be perfect. So basically the 55 na motor is a direct plug and play right ? no new ecu required or new wire harness? just put in the motor and the current ecu will adapt or will i need to reflash it because down the line once i do the headers and secondary cat delete i plan on tuning the ecu anyways. Thanks
what symptoms do you have right now? my car's been acting up too. the grinding in the tranny is getting worse and it feels like it's about to die soon.
Old 03-10-2010 | 01:52 PM

2003 CLK500
Well the issue im having is really mostly at higher speeds around 50-65mph betweens 1700-2500 rpm the tranny kind of drags before it picks up speed again and also sometimes when its in a certain rpm range lets say at like 35-40 mph im at 2k rpm and i let go of the gas to cruise the rpm wont go down it will stay there for a bit even with my foot of the gas it will stay there and shortly after it will start going down again. I replaced my radiator and did the flush and all was fine for a week - week and a half and then slowly starting again, the damage was done already but theres no more leak its probably just getting worse little by little cause i drive with it like that i was even wondering if i can for now at least to be able to drive normally possibly get a clk55 tranny and keep it on my current 500 engine until i get the proper funds and find the proper engine to replace mine with i wonder how that would work because the tranny shifts faster will that mate up fine with my current engine and give me faster shifts ?
Old 03-11-2010 | 01:51 AM

CLK 30cdi AMG W209, A Lang W168, Impreza Sti GC8
Originally Posted by bheng
would any of those engines fit into the clk 320 engine bay?
i dont think the chassis is different...just the springs, motor mounts, etc.
Brian
The chassis is the same but the engine cradle is different.

The easiest way is to move the whole package from an clk500 to your clk320 (engine,tranny,engine cradle, front suspension setup). It bolts straight in your chassis.

Just remove the driveshaft, two bolts under the car, wires+hoses and suspension top mounts and the package falls off complete.

The mechanical work is straight forward diy job.
Electrical is quite easy too if you can get the wiringdiagrams.
When its done you must change the control boxes (ecu and tcu in the right footwell) and some ecu-> engine wiring. Rest of the wiring is the same.

Did almost the same thing with mine (clk270cdi -> c30cdi AMG).
Old 03-11-2010 | 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by clk_dsl_pwr
The chassis is the same but the engine cradle is different.

The easiest way is to move the whole package from an clk500 to your clk320 (engine,tranny,engine cradle, front suspension setup). It bolts straight in your chassis.

Just remove the driveshaft, two bolts under the car, wires+hoses and suspension top mounts and the package falls off complete.

The mechanical work is straight forward diy job.
Electrical is quite easy too if you can get the wiringdiagrams.
When its done you must change the control boxes (ecu and tcu in the right footwell) and some ecu-> engine wiring. Rest of the wiring is the same.

Did almost the same thing with mine (clk270cdi -> c30cdi AMG).
Any pics of ur works ?

Andy
Old 03-11-2010 | 12:27 PM

2003 CLK500
Hey Clk dsl pwr, "When its done you must change the control boxes (ecu and tcu in the right footwell) and some ecu-> engine wiring. Rest of the wiring is the same."

when you say ecu and tcu and some ecu -> engine wiring and the rest is the same? so if i drop in a 55na engine all im gonna need is the ecu from it and tcu for tranny and just the engine wiring , i heard that the wiring i have on my current engine should be fine i dont know for sure though would you happen to know for sure? Im also sure this should really be plug and play becauce there is no supercharger involved..other then that drop it in and plug it in and drive it away and have a big kool aid smile on face
Old 03-12-2010 | 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by pacboy22
Hey Clk dsl pwr, "When its done you must change the control boxes (ecu and tcu in the right footwell) and some ecu-> engine wiring. Rest of the wiring is the same."

when you say ecu and tcu and some ecu -> engine wiring and the rest is the same? so if i drop in a 55na engine all im gonna need is the ecu from it and tcu for tranny and just the engine wiring , i heard that the wiring i have on my current engine should be fine i dont know for sure though would you happen to know for sure? Im also sure this should really be plug and play becauce there is no supercharger involved..other then that drop it in and plug it in and drive it away and have a big kool aid smile on face
I was talking about changing a 320 engine to 500 engine.
If you change a 500 engine to 55na then i think that the engine to ecu wiring is the same.
But i haven't done this so i'm not sure.

Also if you change the ecu you must change the cluster, steering lock and ignition lock+key from the same car.

Sorry for my english, don't know all the right words...

I'll make an project thread with the pics when i have got my new wheels&facelift amg bumper.

The engine is from a rare W203 C30 cdi AMG. It's the only diesel model AMG has built.

It has 231hp/540nm original but with lots of potential.
With reprogram it is possible to get 320hp/700+nm and with a bigger turbo easily over 400hp/1000nm...

Mean while here is some poor pics:

Donator car

AMG package

Rinsed AMG

Engine in CLK

Old 03-12-2010 | 12:27 PM

2003 CLK500
Oh wow i never knew that there was a diesel amg thats looks like a nice project and should be well worth it once its finished, make sure you keep us updated on that swap. I dont know if youll be able to answer this but the only reason i said change ecu is because im thinking that i have to change the ecu? because to buy all that and have it installed might be alot of work , can i leave my stock ecu in place to use with this engine will the ecu adapte by itself automatically or my ecu wont accept that engine and wont power on ? maybe i would need a reflash? ..Thanks
Old 03-12-2010 | 01:14 PM

My experiences are mostly from the cdi scene so don't take my post as the truth.

I'm not familiar with the differences between 500 and 55na (electronics/software wise).

But i assume that the sensors and wires are the same (both are v8na's). I think that the only problem is the ecu software. AMG has more power and different rev limit so the map is different?
Still you may been able to drive the car with your stock ecu.
Anywise it should not be a problem to reprogram the ecu for 55 engine.

If you change the tranny too and if it has different gear ratio that causes the next problem. Gear ratios are coded in the ecu too. I know they can do the reprogramming atleast in germany.

AMG speedshift tranny always needs AMG tcu module to operate in the right way (torque converter lockup etc...).

I made my conversion becouse my old tranny broke down (coolant issue here too)
Old 03-12-2010 | 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
clk dsl pwr,

The car looks good man...being a member here for little while but I've never seen that AMG motor before .

Andy
Old 03-12-2010 | 03:23 PM

Thanks! It has been available only in europe 2003-04 and not so many sold...