CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Slow gearshifts (auto)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-02-2003, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow gearshifts (auto)

Does any of you think the gearbox (auto) shifts slow. When I compare it to my wife’s 320ML, her car shifts faster and smoother where my CLK’s which shifts are more hesitant and even if its slower, not as smooth. This is especially apparent going from 2’nd to 3’rd gear.

Cheers
Old 04-02-2003, 10:20 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
The trans. is of an adaptive design the the more aggressively you drive the more aggressive the shifts.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK 500 SHIT BOX
My trans is really messed up. Sometimes the car slames into the next gear under normal driving. Then it would slip just as if i was driving and threw the car in netural. At one point i had to stop to get the car to go again. Now the shift point are all ****ed up and jerky.

This car has been nothing but problems from day 1. Not at all what i expected from MB. The sales people are jerks MB headquarters people are jerks, and i just cant seem to get anywhere with this car. The SRS light has come on 4 times already.
The same dealer said they would give me $42000 for the car. BMW said $48000

I paid cash for the car. Dummy me... I could of drove it through the showroom floor. And told them to keep it.

Now im thinking about putting a match to it!

Im getting out of this **** box ASAP. Guys have fun with your cars!

CK
Old 04-03-2003, 01:27 AM

yes im also unhappy with the trans

when i shift from1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3ed it always hesitates first....
its like u feel ur body is pushed forward for a while ..like braking..
its just not smooth...

i dont know iwhether this is caused by my driving style or not...
becase sometimes its ok...especiall when ur going fast..
Old 04-03-2003, 01:49 AM

Vodc4,
Your description is spot on what i experience too.

RJC,
I though the adaptive design was only at what revs it picks the shifts. The more aggressive you are the longer it keeps the gear and shifts at higher revs. I didn't think it affected how it actually executes the shifts, and that is what I'm not happy with ..... although i have the same expereince as vodc4, the more aggressive i drive, the better (smoother and faster) the gearbox shifts.

Chriskober,
bad to hear you're so unhappy. I'm generally happy, even if it is not perfect.

Cheers,
Old 04-03-2003, 02:02 AM

My brother told me this is normal and this is caused by my driving style

but since im not the only one
maybe i should tell the dealer to fix it?

have you tried to tell the dealer to fix it?

btw it is better now....the 1st time i got the car...during the 1st few weeks it was very bad
Old 04-03-2003, 02:09 AM
Almost a Member!

I have same problem with c320. If I drive slow, stop-go, like in a residential area, the car jerks and shifts way too slow. I never had any problem on the freeway. I read about a flash update on this forum for engine control unit, bulletin #p-b-07.00/28a. I am going to mention this to the mechanic when I bring it in for service next week. I dont know if that would help with the shifting problem. Does anyone know???
Old 04-03-2003, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Yes- This is one of the first things I noticed about my car. I mentioned this a while back but didn't have much feedback at the time. Looks like this is part of the design, not necessarily a problem with the trans.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My transmission shifts very smoothly. Actually, that's one of the first compliments I get when someone new sits in the car. They say they can't even feel it. I have, however, had the tranmission change gears slowly occasionaly if I really punch it. My feeling is that is related to the way it has "learned" my driving style. Punching it is not something I do that often (ie. 5,000+ RPMS).
Old 04-03-2003, 12:52 PM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Mine seems to work exactly opposite of yours 500 AMG. If I punch it, the transmission shifts very quickly and very smoothly.

But if I accelerate normally from a stop, the 1-2-3 shifts are slow and lazy. I swear it feels exactly like someone shifting a manual transmission slowly. As it goes from 2nd to 3rd, it actually feels like the engine is partially disengaged from the transmission, the throttle is backed off, the gear is changed and then the transmission is re-engaged. I can live with it but I don't like it. It would be nice if there was some type of "fix".
Old 04-03-2003, 05:56 PM

We had a similar problem with our S-class. Took it into the delearship and they wiped the transmission memory. After the car had learnt the driving style again, it was smooth sailing from there...until we sold it.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:22 PM

2007 CL550
I agree

My trans is mess up. i try to switch from S to W to try to get it to act normal but no luck. The scary part is, the other day i tried to Accelerate from a stand still and car chocked big time.

That my 2 cents
Old 04-04-2003, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Mercedes Benz #
We had a similar problem with our S-class. Took it into the delearship and they wiped the transmission memory. After the car had learnt the driving style again, it was smooth sailing from there...until we sold it.

So does it mean it depends on our driving style?
damn, i think i can drive more smoothly with my honda oddysey
Old 04-04-2003, 03:39 AM

It seems like its a problem with the design, not our individual trans. Not sure if that is good or bad news.

It also seems like a communality that the harder we drive, the smoother and faster the trans shifts, and when crousing slow, it shifts slow and jerky.

Do we all have 320CLK. Only exception to above is 500AMG, and I guess he has a 500CLK.

In the end, i think i can live with it. Not sure i want to have the dealer messing with it.

Cheers
Old 04-04-2003, 07:15 AM

Yeah, its basically like a computer that learns your driving to provide maximum comfort and performance. So if you drive smoothly and leisurly all the time, and then suddenly give it the boot...it will react slowly initially, until it learns that you are drving more aggresively. Also if you drive fairly aggressively all the time, and then slow down the shifts will be less smooth, beause the computer is used to you driving harder. The computer doesnt learn instantaneosly, it takes quite a while. The best thing to do, is once the thing is reset, to maintain a consisten driving style all the time. The shifts should then be seamless. Many regard the 5 speed mercedes transmission as the smoothest transmission in the world.

That is my understanding of the transmission anyway.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:28 PM

2007 CL550
"Do we all have 320CLK. Only exception to above is 500AMG, and I guess he has a 500CLK."

Mine is CLK500

I do think that "Mercedes Benz #" is correct !
Old 04-04-2003, 10:01 PM

CLK 550
I have a 320, and I have no problems with my transmission. It is very, very smooth. I do not drive aggressively, and my computer seems to have adapted quite well to my driving style.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:43 PM

2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
Saw a review for the CLK 320 on thecarconnection.com that supports what some of us have been experiencing with our transmissions. I have the CLK500 and it behaves the same way.

I have noticed though that the tranmission starts making smoother shifts the more it warms up. First thing in the morning, 1-2 and 2-3 are pretty hesitant at part throttle. If I drive it for 45 minutes, it smooths out significantly.

Our test car’s five-speed automatic transmission quite consistently made lumpy, hesitant upshifts on gradual acceleration, though, especially into second and third gears. Yet with a little more throttle they were buttery-smooth. Perhaps this was due to the driver-adaptive software that governs how the throttle (by-wire) and the transmission behave together.