CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

More dual exhaust questions!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK350
More dual exhaust questions!

Perhaps the most talked about topic in this forum? haha. Anyway, I've done a good bit of research on it and talked to a few members in depth on the issue. I thought I had everything squared away, but I just got done speaking to my guy today and he was saying that I couldn't fit a second pipe on the right side because there's the plastic of the spare tire well and another piece of plastic towards the outside of the car. I was under the impression that I could fit a straight pipe between there. Was I wrong?

Also, some "stabilizer bar" I think it was called that doesn't have the bend on the right side to fit a second pipe. Could that be bent into shape or would I have to replace it?

Another option that I think Dynomite did was replacing the spare tire well with the AMG well, which would allow the space on the other side. But if I recall correctly, he only did that to fit another muffler on the right side. My intention was to have one muffler with dual inlets/outlets in place of the secondary catalytic converter and then run straight pipes out to the tips.

If anybody has some insight on what I should or could do in my situation, I'd greatly appreciate it. The car is a 2006 CLK350.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Your guy is right and wrong. The sway bar and spare tire well are a neccessary swap for a conversion like I did with another muffler on the right. For the setup that you want to go with, you don't need to swap them. Carlos, 2MCHCAR, did the same setup you are thinking of. Here is the link to his install thread and a pic.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ed-clk500.html

Old 11-24-2010, 02:15 PM

CLK350
He's got a 500 though. Is it the same for a 350? He had my car up on the lift and showed me that a straight pipe would fit on the right side, but it'd be rubbing up against the tire well and whatever other piece of plastic. He said the heat from it would melt the plastic, which makes sense. Is there a way of heat shielding that, or just using a thinner pipe?
Old 11-24-2010, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
why not do like mine ? I dont have any problem with the spare well or the sway bar ? unless u want exactly like Wes's setup . U saw my thread right ?

Andy
Old 11-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by Mikevercetti
He's got a 500 though. Is it the same for a 350? He had my car up on the lift and showed me that a straight pipe would fit on the right side, but it'd be rubbing up against the tire well and whatever other piece of plastic. He said the heat from it would melt the plastic, which makes sense. Is there a way of heat shielding that, or just using a thinner pipe?
As far as I know, the frame of the car is the same on all W209's. When I replaced my spare wheel well, I also had to purchase the heat shields. The right heat shield fit like a glove and the frame of the car had the necessary holes to secure it.

How big is the pipe that he was going to use? Andy, M-benz, also went with the same setup and didn't have any problems. It might be that the work is too much of a PITA and the guy doesn't want to do it. I'm sure you could always form a heat shield to fit on the right side if you're worried about heat.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...new-pipes.html

Old 11-24-2010, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
there you go...just get it done man .

Andy
Old 11-24-2010, 02:40 PM

CLK350
I've been talking to Andy through PMs about it over the past few weeks, and he told me that I should run an X pipe to a dual inlet/outlet muffler, then straight pipe it to the tips, which I believe is the same way his is, or a slight variation. That is what I want to do, but the guy made it sound as if that wasn't possible. I'm going to be taking the car to another place and I'll talk to them about it.

Andy, did you not have any problems running the straight pipe on the second side, with the spare tire well? When I was looking at it underneath my car, it didn't appear as if there was much space, but I guess it can be done?
Old 11-24-2010, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by Mikevercetti
I've been talking to Andy through PMs about it over the past few weeks, and he told me that I should run an X pipe to a dual inlet/outlet muffler, then straight pipe it to the tips, which I believe is the same way his is, or a slight variation. That is what I want to do, but the guy made it sound as if that wasn't possible. I'm going to be taking the car to another place and I'll talk to them about it.

Andy, did you not have any problems running the straight pipe on the second side, with the spare tire well? When I was looking at it underneath my car, it didn't appear as if there was much space, but I guess it can be done?
No, not at all. I'm driving it . And if your guys think its not possible print out my pics and show it in his face lol.

Andy
Old 11-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Take it to get a second opinion. Every story I hear about these exhaust mod, the installer is never too thrilled about doing the work. Working on these exhausts is a PITA!
Old 11-24-2010, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
why don't u do like in these 2 attached pics (appologies to other members for using their pics )

This is what I was willing to do but I'm goin back & forth since mine is a 320 w/o the AMG package....just now feelin it (although I have pics where the setup looks nice...)
oh well...
Attached Thumbnails More dual exhaust questions!-27082_10150148303360627_699130626_11741567_3284041_n.jpg   More dual exhaust questions!-neu-2_1175927171.jpg