CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Mikata's spring mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 63 amg
Mike,

Soon we should move your build in here: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...mg-posers.html

Looks good

//
Chris
Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Originally Posted by clk63DK
Mike,

Soon we should move your build in here: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...mg-posers.html

Looks good

//
Chris

Haha not just yet Let me get the 8pot calipers first
Thanks Chris, I'm driving the car for one more week before I tuck it away.
Give me a call and I'll let you see and hear it. If I can make it to Malmo on that drearing sound it makes
Old 10-20-2011, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Originally Posted by michoblb
hey nice pics, and I agree they stick a bit out but looks nice... did you check if you drive into potholes or bad roads if the quads touch the bumper or not?? I had this problem... how did the shop fix the exhaust on the right side?? can u post pics... congrats again bro
Thanks man! Here's a pic of the setup, drawed in ms paint
I never took any pics underneath the car, just picked it up after work.
You can see by the setup why it's so loud.
I shaked and wiggled the right side tips and they sit pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails Mikata's spring mods-pic.jpg  
Old 10-21-2011, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
yeaaaa Mike .. nice job
Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Originally Posted by ahmadk
yeaaaa Mike .. nice job
Thanks bud!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:12 PM

CLS400 4Matic 2016 / ML 350 2009 / clk 320 w209 sold/ sl 500 1996 sold/ cls550 2008 sold
Originally Posted by mikata
Nice job on the pic... Hehe i did the same job when i did the dual!! Thats y u have this powerful sound!!
Old 10-21-2011, 03:03 PM

CLK 63 amg
Hi Mike,

There is something basic wrong with the solution made.

The "right" pipe is wrong... You cant connect before the muffler unless you add a second muffler..

Normally you should have done your quad pipe setup as I tried to draw on my drawing here!

Attached Thumbnails Mikata's spring mods-320_4pipe_drawing.gif  
Old 10-21-2011, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Ive exchanged a few emails with him to rectify the 'situation', the exhaust shop that did it is suspect in my books to say the least...

Mike, post 42;

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ml#post4884158

Like what CLK63DK is saying. I'm not a big fan of the 'drag' pipe but at least you can continue to use your AMG muffler.

Last edited by Kevwood; 10-21-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:03 PM

CLK 63 amg
If the solution is to use only 1 muffler, then this is correct (like it or not)

Since Mike got the assymetric sparetire weld, there are less space for more mufflers, so the basis is quiet fixed (limited).

And sorry to say, Magnaflow is not for a MB. This can be done much better locally from Ferrita or other high end custom companies.

Chris

Last edited by clk63DK; 10-21-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelldevil..
Old 10-21-2011, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Thanks guys! Ill look in to it. Im probably visiting him on wednesday. Ill see what I can re-use and what ill have to buy. Im putting the car away next week so ill either get it done next week or next spring. Drove the car today, it was embarrassing just cruisin with that awful sound
Old 10-21-2011, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Funny story, I just met the guy that did my exhaust apprentice in town. I was out drinking with my friends when he saw me and said: "Isn't that you". Yeah as you can tell by the words he was **** drunk. So he basically just sat down next to me and started talking exhaust systems.

Since he clearly was drunk I started asking him questions about the job they did.
First question(I was laughing to disguise my straight forward questions) Did you take my car for a joy ride, I got no as a answer back.
But this kid, 22 years old did drive my car out the garage and got dirt on the door.
Next question: Did you rev my engine(he stated that they did rev the engine alot), he said yeah reved it like hell, and I said "well how much?"
He could tell that I was getting a little angry, he said we maybe reved it to 4000rpm.

Why can't you leave a car to a mechanic without worrying about if he/she is going to test drive the sh*it out of it? How proffessional is that?

One interesting thing he told me though(I had hard time understanding what he was saying) was that I could place some piece at the end of the pipe that would reduce the drone. He said "we can place this piece at the end of the pipe, where the tips start and reduce the sound that way".

Now I don't know what piece he was talking about but do you think it's possible to reduce the sound somehow?

When I told the kid that the car sounded to much, he said he didn't think that it sounded much. This dude has removed his mufflers, resonator, and is about to delete his cats on his old bmw 540 -95.
Since he likes the sound of drone he's opinion doesn't matter.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
If the solution is to use only 1 muffler, then this is correct (like it or not)

Since Mike got the assymetric sparetire weld, there are less space for more mufflers, so the basis is quiet fixed (limited).

And sorry to say, Magnaflow is not for a MB. This can be done much better locally from Ferrita or other high end custom companies.

Chris
Chris, that is not the only solution for 1 muffler, there are other mufflers that can be used instead of the one shown that allow for the second (added) pipe to be routed behind the spare wheel well. In doing so, the pipe is better hidden and there isn't the need for such ridiculously tight 90's.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with Magnaflow (or Borla) for that matter on a Benz. They both produce very nice tones and several members have/are using them.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Guys, is this something that would work well?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borla-Perfor...item4cfa98a021

Dual in and dual out. Could I use this and just replace it with my current muffler?
With this I could still drag the pipe behind the wheel well?
Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guys, is this something that would work well?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borla-Perfor...item4cfa98a021

Dual in and dual out. Could I use this and just replace it with my current muffler?
With this I could still drag the pipe behind the wheel well?
Mike, you don't want a dual in dual out, you want a single in, dual out. To run behind the wheel well you need the Magnaflow that I have, I've got the part number listed in my exhaust thread.

To keep it really simple and save cost, just keep what you have an drag the secondary pipe across like in the picture Chris posted. You're car, your budget, all up to you mate.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Originally Posted by Kevwood
Mike, you don't want a dual in dual out, you want a single in, dual out. To run behind the wheel well you need the Magnaflow that I have, I've got the part number listed in my exhaust thread.

To keep it really simple and save cost, just keep what you have an drag the secondary pipe across like in the picture Chris posted. You're car, your budget, all up to you mate.
Got it. The problem is that the mufflers two outlets are so tightly placed that I think that it is going to be hard to get everything to fit.
Thanks Kev!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:02 AM

Mercedes CLK280 2007
These came today. Speaker adapters or holders, or whatever you want to call them Im adding 2 speakers per car door, total of 4 speakers.

Hopefully I'll start with the audio project next weekend and also square out the comand problem.
Will post pics of the process!
Hi Mikata, first of all, AWESOME mods going on in your car! It has been great reading about your Audio Project, and it's been of tremendous help to me!

I have a facelifted CLK280. I just opened up my door and took out all the speakers to figure out their correct sizes, and they appear to be exactly like your old speakers. Could you please let me know where did you get the speaker adapters from? I cannot find speaker adapters for a facelifted CLK but I'm pretty sure they're similar.

Also, did you order the same kit for both the front and the rear? My rear speaker is a bit smaller than the front, but I see that your new speakers P236 and P206 are both 6.5''.

Thanks a ton for your help!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Originally Posted by grech
Hi Mikata, first of all, AWESOME mods going on in your car! It has been great reading about your Audio Project, and it's been of tremendous help to me!

I have a facelifted CLK280. I just opened up my door and took out all the speakers to figure out their correct sizes, and they appear to be exactly like your old speakers. Could you please let me know where did you get the speaker adapters from? I cannot find speaker adapters for a facelifted CLK but I'm pretty sure they're similar.

Also, did you order the same kit for both the front and the rear? My rear speaker is a bit smaller than the front, but I see that your new speakers P236 and P206 are both 6.5''.

Thanks a ton for your help!
Thanks bro

I used the same speaker adapters rings.

The only thing I bought(two of each) to make everything plug and play were these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:1123

If im not mistaken, my new speakers were all the same size.

Get back to me if you have any more questions.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Take a look in my album "new sound system" for more pics if you haven't already.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM

Mercedes CLK280 2007
Thanks bro

I used the same speaker adapters rings.

The only thing I bought(two of each) to make everything plug and play were these:

If im not mistaken, my new speakers were all the same size.

Get back to me if you have any more questions.
Thanks man, this is really helpful. I'll order 2 of each right now, not sure why would I need the male connector (1st one) since that thing is already present in the car and goes into the current speaker.

I've only been able to find speaker fitting adapters like these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOLEADS-...ht_1779wt_1199
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAK-2010-M...ht_1974wt_1270

which I'm sure will work for my front speakers but probably not the back ones, since the points where the screws go are at different angles on the ring. I see your adapter is unique, where it has two points on one side of the circle where I can mount it. Could you link me to these?

Once again, thanks a lot! Much appreciated!

PS: I have a folder called Mikata on my hard drive with all the Audio pics from this thread saved. My personal reference library
Old 12-02-2011, 10:18 AM

CLK 63 amg
Hello Grech,

Glad you like the install.

I "assisted" Mike in the install, so i can answer your question.
It is correct that the front and rear speaker adaptor rings are different. We only found out too late (after spending time and money on enforcing the speakerrings with a nice mix of glassfiber and sound damping).

the solution we chose was to use the basket from the original rear speakers and modify them in order to install the P206 in these.
With a good knife and a dremel this is a small task.

For the set-up with P236 & P206 we dident chose the normal solution and run the woofers in paralell on the original filters. our solution is to run a 2½ way setup, in order to prevent an unstable sound picture with midrange signals from the rear woofer mixing with the front woofer. So in fact the rear speakers only participate in the system up to app. 250 hz for the extra kick.

I know there are people that fancy the sound coming from the rear also, but since we are (currently) running without any processing this is the best solution .

Anyway, lets see what will come for 2012 - Mike has a lot of good ideas

Finally - you can expect the same inside in your Morf version - I have the same in my.

Let us know if you need more info or ideas - we got plenty....
Old 12-02-2011, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Great write up Chris! I was just going to tell grech to PM you for more details since you know more about this stuff.

As Chris says, I'm getting a matching Helix amp and I'm considering new woofers as well. We'll see after the amp is installed if im pleased with how the woofers sound
After that I'm getting dension gateway lite.

As for exterior mods, you'll have to wait til spring 2012
Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 AM

Mercedes CLK280 2007
Hello Grech,

Glad you like the install.

I "assisted" Mike in the install, so i can answer your question.
It is correct that the front and rear speaker adaptor rings are different. We only found out too late (after spending time and money on enforcing the speakerrings with a nice mix of glassfiber and sound damping).

the solution we chose was to use the basket from the original rear speakers and modify them in order to install the P206 in these.
With a good knife and a dremel this is a small task.

For the set-up with P236 & P206 we dident chose the normal solution and run the woofers in paralell on the original filters. our solution is to run a 2½ way setup, in order to prevent an unstable sound picture with midrange signals from the rear woofer mixing with the front woofer. So in fact the rear speakers only participate in the system up to app. 250 hz for the extra kick.

I know there are people that fancy the sound coming from the rear also, but since we are (currently) running without any processing this is the best solution .

Anyway, lets see what will come for 2012 - Mike has a lot of good ideas

Finally - you can expect the same inside in your Morf version - I have the same in my.

Let us know if you need more info or ideas - we got plenty....
Thanks a lot for your input Chris. Given your obvious knowledge on the subject I dont doubt you guys have a plenty of ideas going forward.

So for now, I'll order one speaker ring pair for the front and worry about the rear ones later, perhaps find a wood workshop that can fabricate both pairs for me in fiberboard or something.

Few quick questions: Mikata mentioned you guys ordered 2 each of the speaker connectors.

I understand the bare end of this lead (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...#ht_766wt_1037) will connect to the speakers and the female connector end is where I can insert the existing male connector that's in my door?

If yes, why would I need this lead, since the male connector is already present? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...#ht_754wt_1037)

Did you order 2 of each because of your system? I'm going to work with the existing system, just changing speakers and not rewiring. I'm assuming that I would only need the 1st one above, and 4 of them instead of 2?

Sincerely appreciate your help!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 AM

Mercedes CLK280 2007
Great write up Chris! I was just going to tell grech to PM you for more details since you know more about this stuff.

As Chris says, I'm getting a matching Helix amp and I'm considering new woofers as well. We'll see after the amp is installed if im pleased with how the woofers sound
After that I'm getting dension gateway lite.

As for exterior mods, you'll have to wait til spring 2012
Sounds exciting bro! Looking forward to hearing more on your mods as they happen!

And tell me about it man! I told myself IM ONLY gonna replace the headunit (waiting on the adapters and double DIN kit to get here from UK), and within the last week alone, I was like I'll change the speakers too....then amp for speakers....then subwoofer...and within a few days I've decided to go all out all at once. Excuse? "Can't be bothered to disassemble and assemble my dashboard again?"
Old 12-03-2011, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Thanks a lot for your input Chris. Given your obvious knowledge on the subject I dont doubt you guys have a plenty of ideas going forward.

So for now, I'll order one speaker ring pair for the front and worry about the rear ones later, perhaps find a wood workshop that can fabricate both pairs for me in fiberboard or something.

Few quick questions: Mikata mentioned you guys ordered 2 each of the speaker connectors.

I understand the bare end of this lead (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...#ht_766wt_1037) will connect to the speakers and the female connector end is where I can insert the existing male connector that's in my door?

If yes, why would I need this lead, since the male connector is already present? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...#ht_754wt_1037)

Did you order 2 of each because of your system? I'm going to work with the existing system, just changing speakers and not rewiring. I'm assuming that I would only need the 1st one above, and 4 of them instead of 2?

Sincerely appreciate your help!
grech, wait til Chris gets back so that he can answer if we bought 2 of each or just one of each. I can't remember so just hang tight.
Chris is in Essen Germany today for a big motorshow. Alot of cars and car tuners there
Old 12-03-2011, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Sounds exciting bro! Looking forward to hearing more on your mods as they happen!

And tell me about it man! I told myself IM ONLY gonna replace the headunit (waiting on the adapters and double DIN kit to get here from UK), and within the last week alone, I was like I'll change the speakers too....then amp for speakers....then subwoofer...and within a few days I've decided to go all out all at once. Excuse? "Can't be bothered to disassemble and assemble my dashboard again?"
Lol, me and Chris have almost disassembled my whole car a few times
You're right in your thinking, do all at one.
Looking forward to some pics when you're all done! And a short review

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mikata's spring mods