CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

need to find fuse for horns...car beeps everytime I turn the wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
need to find fuse for horns...car beeps everytime I turn the wheel

For some reason everytime I turn the wheel the horn beeps so until I take it to the dealer to be fixed I want to pull the fuse for the horn..can someone tell me where and what fuse to pull? Thanks
Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
I had a similar problem when I upgraded my steering wheel. You can't even unplug the horn because the "Security" backup horn will still work and that is located in a hard to get to location (so I don't think the horn fuse will help much, the security fuses have to be removed; I didn't go this route so I can't help you here).

The problem is the springs on the back of the airbag. When they are compressed (and stuck), the horn goes off. These springs are adjustable using a torx bit, but you have to get to the airbag first.

I was able to use an allen wrench (instead of the torx bit required) and remove the 4 torx screws located on the back of the steering wheel. With the 4 screws removed, I was able to pull out the airbag, clean the springs/contacts, add more slack to the springs by adjusting the 4 torx screw adjustments and put the airbag into place. Haven't had the problem since.

The Stealership WILL charge you an arm/leg, but if you're not confident with your DIY abilities, you have no choice (they should ONLY charge you an hour and if they try to say you need a new steering wheel/airbag, THEY ARE LYING TO YOU).

If you want to attempt the DIY, unplug the battery first (for airbag safety reasons) and follow the procedures located on another forum (it's against MBworld rules to add the link here but go to google and use these keywords "w209 steering wheel install/removal" and the first option is where you want to go).

Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
Ridge Lock (01-14-2020)
Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
hahaha... i had the same problem...
so what I did was that I took off the air bag off.. disassembled it from the back, took of the springs, stretched them a bit with my hands, installed them back, assembled the airbag and re-installed it...
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 PM

CLK 500
thanks alot guys...I will attempt to do this tommorow hopefully it will resolve the problem
Old 03-28-2011, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
keep us posted
Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209, E46 M3 (dead), S54 swapped E46 Touring
i had the same problem. i just disconnected my hella horns. i'll try and take care of that this weekend.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 PM

CLK 500
I'm pretty sure this fixed the problem. I disconnected the battery after setting the steering wheel on the furthest setting out so their was room to work. I unscrewed the two torx screws from each side and pulled the center part of the steering wheel which contains the airbag and in the back there are four springs with the same trox screws I loosend each one slightly and put it back..the springs were pretty compressed so I'm figuring that was the issue...I will try and post up some pics I took to show what I did and hopefully the issue is solve.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
it's pretty annoying having the horn going on when turning the wheel.... when it happened to me it was like 2:00 am and i had to parallel park under my house...u can imagine how quick i had to do it so that i don't wake up everyone in my neighborhood
Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suzuki Burgman Executive
Had the same problem in colder temperature. Removed airbag and stretched the springs a bit.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:38 AM

CLK 500
Yea its really bad and when your around a lot of people they are all staring at you. Good thing I have dark tints lol...I don't know why but it only does it sometimes like certain days and if it does its a lot for a little bit then it goes away. Not sure if its weather related or what but hopefully this was the end of the possesd horn
Old 01-14-2020, 08:58 PM

Mercedes Benz CLK 500
Originally Posted by grmnpwrd
I'm pretty sure this fixed the problem. I disconnected the battery after setting the steering wheel on the furthest setting out so their was room to work. I unscrewed the two torx screws from each side and pulled the center part of the steering wheel which contains the airbag and in the back there are four springs with the same trox screws I loosend each one slightly and put it back..the springs were pretty compressed so I'm figuring that was the issue...I will try and post up some pics I took to show what I did and hopefully the issue is solve.
we miss those pics. Any chance you could still upload them?