CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Racing CLKs with automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK 500
Racing CLKs with automatic transmission

For those of us with automatic transmission and paddle shifters, when you race your CLK do you just stomp on the accelerator and let the car take over for you or do you try to manually shift your CLK?

I've tried both in my 05 CLK against a 335i and I think shifting manually seems a bit faster. Out of 3 races I won 2, once just using sport driving, and once shifting with the paddle shifters. However, I also lost once using the paddle shifters, which may have been a result of bad shifting on my part.

What do you guys think? Also, ESP on or off? I had a bad experience with it off and i'm almost thinking it would harm more than help. Thanks
Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
Originally Posted by mesopotato
For those of us with automatic transmission and paddle shifters, when you race your CLK do you just stomp on the accelerator and let the car take over for you or do you try to manually shift your CLK?

I've tried both in my 05 CLK against a 335i and I think shifting manually seems a bit faster. Out of 3 races I won 2, once just using sport driving, and once shifting with the paddle shifters. However, I also lost once using the paddle shifters, which may have been a result of bad shifting on my part.

What do you guys think? Also, ESP on or off? I had a bad experience with it off and i'm almost thinking it would harm more than help. Thanks
Depends what kind of racing you're talking about. For straight line speed, I think it's a toss up because in manual mode you'd get off the line quicker, but the shifts might not be as perfect as they would be in automatic mode, but automatic tends to bog off the line.

As far as any type of "racing" with twisties and turns and elevation changes, manual mode is definitely the way to go.

I turn ESP off if it's like a drag type deal, since you don't want your tires to catch some sand off the line and bog down, but I always turn it back on right after that, considering ESP can be a lifesaver.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:04 PM

05 CLK 500
Primarily referencing straight line speed, but thanks for your thorough answer. You don't have a problem with your tires spinning when you turn ESP off?
Old 04-18-2011, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
In my opinion, I'd rather have my tires spin a little (because I can control how much they spin by how much throttle input), but when you leave ESP on and it detects tire spin, ESP will lock up your tires by a good second and there's nothing you can do about that.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
When you guys refer to ESP off, do you mean just the button on the dash or putting it in dyno mode? I get little or no wheel spin whether or not I turn off the button on the dash.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:15 PM

05 CLK 500
Referencing the button on the dash, I get a little spin + sputter when I push my foot any more than half way down. But as kevblah said, I can probably learn to control it, maybe... haha
Old 04-18-2011, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
clk500
ESP off all time when I race
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

clk
There is a DIY on another w209forum where they explain on how to race with your CLK.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 422 Likes on 348 Posts
MB’s
These cars shift WAY too slow to use the paddle shifters. Best to just floor the car.
The following users liked this post:
Tru-Soul (11-03-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 11:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CLK500, 2003 CLK55, 2008 CLK550
Drag Racing: Ive tried both 1st gear manual starts, vs automatic start with some brake holding at the beginning. It really didnt seem to make a difference on my 60' times, nor trap speed and time. This seemed to hold true on both the 5speed 500 and the 7speed 550.

Road Racing: Keep it in automatic lol. Ive tracked both a 500 with the 5 speed, and a 550 with the 7 speed, and I keep both in automatic. On the road, I think you do need the paddle shifting to get the most out of it. But once on the track, you'll do great with it in automatic! In fact, once on the track, the transmission really loves to hold gears!!!! Its so different from when its on the road, and you have to follow speed limits. Haha. On the track, under lots of aggressive throttle, it seems to be right at home. In fact, on my cool down lap, the transmission is still usually stuck in its racing mindset, and it still holds the gears during the cool down lap. Its almost like its asking to stay out longer

Esp: Drag racing you can turn it off. For road racing, I'd say use your discretion. The first few times on road tracks, I kept it on. There was only one sweeping corner that I pushed it hard enuf that the traction control would kick in (you can even hear it in videos cutting throttle haha). Once you learn the course, if you find the traction control is cutting in, I'd say turn it off. It will at least keep the throttle cut-off from going off a lot. Its really something you should choose at your own discretion. Again, I'd start with it on, see how often you set it off (and why you set it off!!!!) and decide from there. If you set it off because you are pushing g's, turn it off. If you are setting off t/c because you aren't smooth on track yet, keep it on!

In all honesty, I like having the automatic on track. When you are new to racing, you tend to downshift at the wrong times which upsets the balance of the car. I've seen more than a few off tracks happen that way. With the automatic, its one less thing to have to divide your attention to, and makes it so you can concentrate on other things.

If I was to give two suggestions for road racing upgrades (they are great road upgrades too), get yourself some H&R sway bars, and EBC Yellowstuff brake pads (or whatever your brand preference, but road/track pads). I've raced on the Redstuff pads, and our cars are just to heavy for them to last full 20 minute sessions at full pace. Go to fcpeuro and get the yellowstuff pads, which will also come with a lifetime replacement. https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

In case you want to see some clk track action haha.