CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Chrome trim on bumper removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 350
Chrome trim on bumper removal?

Do you guys have any idea how to remove the trim on the bumpers and doors? Im trying to get them repainted.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09C63AMG, 03E320
Originally Posted by Black_CLK
Do you guys have any idea how to remove the trim on the bumpers and doors? Im trying to get them repainted.
The long one on the doors has one torx crew in the inside and then, you just have to slide it out. The small fender trims, you just have to pull them out carefully.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:17 AM

CLK 350
Originally Posted by dr_npz
The long one on the doors has one torx crew in the inside and then, you just have to slide it out. The small fender trims, you just have to pull them out carefully.
Do i have to take the door panel out to get to the screw? and do you know where its located? in the front of the door or the back?
Old 05-03-2011, 02:22 AM

09C63AMG, 03E320
No, you dont have to take it out, just take a look, as i remember, it is T10 located in the back of the doors.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:24 AM

CLK 350
Originally Posted by dr_npz
No, you dont have to take it out, just take a look, as i remember, it is T10 located in the back of the doors.
Thanks!! Dr_npz you have one of the cleanest 55s ive seen
Old 05-03-2011, 02:30 AM

09C63AMG, 03E320
Old 05-03-2011, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
Good to know. Im having evrything blacked out in a couple of days!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I have instructions for the trim. I will try and upload them today.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:41 AM

09C63AMG, 03E320
Be sure to post some updated pics guys.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Apologize for the length of this, but I just lived through it. Can't speak to the doors, but I just replaced two of the three rear bumper chrome strips last week. The strips are white plastic covered in real chrome, with copper base and everything. Because it is real chrome, you cannot flex the strip very much or the chrome will wrinkle and the strip is ruined, so be careful. Each piece is about $62 at the dealer. They have little hooked tabs about 3/8" wide spaced about every four inches or so. Each piece has 8 -10 tabs. Before I removed mine I searched for posts and found a couple describing it as real easy - that you pop out one tab and then slide it and the remaining tabs release because the slits in the bumper they fit in have a wider part. Then I saw a bumper cover for sale on e-bay that showed these big long slits with a wider opening at both ends. So I tried - and failed. At some point MB redesigned the slits in the bumper. A 350 like yours probably has the new kind. Although the first three or four slits on the sides are sorta long, the ones starting at the curve and all along the back are exactly the size of the tab on the trim. And MB used this hardeneing black rubber stuff to fill the gaps anyway - so it's not sliding anywhere. You have to pry the tabs out. But the tabs are pretty weak and break easily. Even knowing exactly how they work I would not bet 5 cents that I could remove one without breaking it - multiple breaks. Here is what I recommend, at least until you are sure which kind of slits your car has. Start at one end on the side of the car. Put some tape along the bottom of the chrome on the painted part. Starting in about an inch and a half from the end, use something like a thin putty knife and get under the trim and pry out very lightly just enough to creat a small gap. Then use a hair dryer and really heat it up under there to soften the black rubber goop and even make the bumper more pliable and keep exerting a bit of prying pressure while heating. That tab should pop out. Repeat at each tab. If MB has some magic instructions for the new kind of bumper I'd like to see them.

Edit: Of course if you pull the bumper cover and remove all of the bracing structures so you can see the tabs, you can probably pop them out with a small screwdriver, but that's a pain.

Last edited by Yidney; 05-03-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:54 PM

CLK 350
Hey Dyno do you know how to take off the bumpers on a 06 350? i would rather go through taking the bumper off than breaking the tabs and paying $65 EACH for them hahah Very good write up though!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Hey Dyno do you know how to take off the bumpers on a 06 350? i would rather go through taking the bumper off than breaking the tabs and paying $65 EACH for them hahah Very good write up though!
PM'd. I check the WIS and it looks like it only has instructions for the side moldings, not the bumpers.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
I thought you might remove the cover - just didn't want you to get the "it's easy" instructions only to learn the hard way. I had to buy new anyway so it was no big deal for me. I'm sure WIS has instructions on removing the bumper cover.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:08 PM

09C63AMG, 03E320
I just noticed that you asked about bumper trim too. Sorry, easy was meant to the side mouldings. Removing the tiny chrome strips on the bumpers is pain in a$$. I did remove my bumpers, and yet it is not easy to do not brake anything.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 PM

CLK 350
haha i just wish they wouldnt use brittle material!!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
instructions on removing your clk 350 bumper man
http://w209forums.com/showthread.php...ont-bumper-DIY
Old 11-01-2018, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by Yidney
Apologize for the length of this, but I just lived through it. Can't speak to the doors, but I just replaced two of the three rear bumper chrome strips last week. The strips are white plastic covered in real chrome, with copper base and everything. Because it is real chrome, you cannot flex the strip very much or the chrome will wrinkle and the strip is ruined, so be careful. Each piece is about $62 at the dealer. They have little hooked tabs about 3/8" wide spaced about every four inches or so. Each piece has 8 -10 tabs. Before I removed mine I searched for posts and found a couple describing it as real easy - that you pop out one tab and then slide it and the remaining tabs release because the slits in the bumper they fit in have a wider part. Then I saw a bumper cover for sale on e-bay that showed these big long slits with a wider opening at both ends. So I tried - and failed. At some point MB redesigned the slits in the bumper. A 350 like yours probably has the new kind. Although the first three or four slits on the sides are sorta long, the ones starting at the curve and all along the back are exactly the size of the tab on the trim. And MB used this hardeneing black rubber stuff to fill the gaps anyway - so it's not sliding anywhere. You have to pry the tabs out. But the tabs are pretty weak and break easily. Even knowing exactly how they work I would not bet 5 cents that I could remove one without breaking it - multiple breaks. Here is what I recommend, at least until you are sure which kind of slits your car has. Start at one end on the side of the car. Put some tape along the bottom of the chrome on the painted part. Starting in about an inch and a half from the end, use something like a thin putty knife and get under the trim and pry out very lightly just enough to creat a small gap. Then use a hair dryer and really heat it up under there to soften the black rubber goop and even make the bumper more pliable and keep exerting a bit of prying pressure while heating. That tab should pop out. Repeat at each tab. If MB has some magic instructions for the new kind of bumper I'd like to see them.

Edit: Of course if you pull the bumper cover and remove all of the bracing structures so you can see the tabs, you can probably pop them out with a small screwdriver, but that's a pain.
​​​​​​​Hey Yidney, old thread here and I know I've asked on another but what about replacing a broken one with new? Any prep required to the bumper itself before attempting to pop the tabs into the slots?