CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

K&N/ MAF sensor - very interesting!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Ouch, $400 for a MAF replacement. You need to search a bit more on this board.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Yes OUCH!

Originally Posted by dynomite05
Ouch, $400 for a MAF replacement. You need to search a bit more on this board.
Unfortunately, I was on the FWY when it failed. Due to the continued engine stalling I had no choice but to craw over to a reliable and honest mechanic. The other problem was that I had no idea what was wrong with the car. I have no way to diagnose or troubleshooting equipment that will read, clear or even program the onboard computer.

But glad I joined this forum. I have been on other sites for years as I also have a 1985 300TD. I usually use MERCEDES SOURCE for this classic.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Rickyracer
Rashman, Found this to be the most informative information ever.

I have a 2003 F150 and have an air cold intake system with (of course) a K&N Air Filter and have used K&N for years and NEVER heard of oil coming off the filter causing MAFS failure until yesterday. I was told the only filters to replace dirty filters were the factory-installed filters and the MAF should not fail for over 250k miles. BTW, I have never cleaned my trucks Air Flow Sensor and have never had a problem. Impressed with K&N I decided to add their filters to my 2004 CLK320 due to a recent MAF failure at 68k miles at a shocking $400 replacement cost. A very reliable mechanic told me these have an average failure rate of 60K to 65K miles.
After seeing your post and link, I am completely convinced the oil does not affect the MAF (wire) even if it did leave the filter. Your post was most helpful and will continue to use K&N Filters.

Hey Ricky,

No worries, my good man.

I saw this information and thought it was worth sharing.

I know what it's like when trying to research something or trying to get answers to questions.. you can sometimes get confused with all the varying information that you can find on forums.

This has been/ is a largely talked about subject and I thought it would be useful in putting a few peoples minds at rest... or confusing the sceptical even more! lol!

Some might say that K&N are bound to report that there are no problems related to their products.. but I actually thought that the videos were informative and supported by some good investigating.

Again, some people may question how genuine or thorough their testing was, but if you think like that all the time, you'll never do anything with your life.

I've had K&N's on my old CLK and now have them in my 63 (for the last 2years) and have no issues at all.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:48 PM

As mentioned, it can be the re-oiling process that some people might get wrong which can cause problems. As in OVER oiling.

Someone here mentioned before, that the best thing to do if you're looking to clean and service your K&N's is to buy new ones instead.

I agree with this.

It eliminates the risk of over-oiling and is a darn sight cheaper than potentially having to buy new MAF sensors.

To be honest, if you the type of person who likes modding and wants the best for your car.... a couple of hundred bucks on new K&N's shouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Well said.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by dynomite05
Well said.

Heehee... Just looking out for you all.

Hope you are well, Wes!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:12 PM

CLK 320
MAFS FAILURE

I too heard all out and do the homework which brought me here. Hmmmm

It is easy to convence people of anything if articulated correctly, however I still do the homework and research with documented backup. I doubt K&N would chance loosing most of their filter business if they were BS-ing the world. Clearly it made perfect sense (at least for me) when they soaked an AFS in oil, installed it, yea it fouled up at first but then cleared and worked perfectly as it should, ALL THAT TO SAY, remember what I mentioned earlier, about having an Air Cold Induction System on my F150. I don't remember if I mentioned this, but it has been on my truck now for over 7 years, pull a 26' 7000 lbs power cruiser about 65 miles each way, often. It too has a MAFS which has never been serviced or touched. To this day I have never experienced any problems.

Today as a precaution and ONLY a precaution, I did remove both the CLK320 and F150 MAF units and cleaned with CRC MASS AIF FLOW CLEANER.
DON'T EVER USE CARB OR BREAK CLEANER, NO, NO, NO, like some on YouTube showed.
I might point out that the F150 AFS was perfectly clean (platinum wire that is) but cleaned it anyway, and to perfectly clear, at no time was any K&N oil residue found in the housings both before and behind the MAFS......hehe

YOU THE MAN RASHMAN!!! Thanks

Last edited by Rickyracer; 06-27-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:02 PM

2005 CLK500 cab, 2004 S600 designo mocha
I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado since new. Installed the K&N at about 30k miles. Around 60k miles I started getting CEL's relating to the MAF. Many members on the coloradofans forum suggested cleaning the MAF with the CRC MAF cleaner to get rid of any residual oil from the filter. SURE ENOUGH. That cured the CEL. I'm just glad it didn't ruin the sensor. $$$

Just because you're one person who has had good luck with K&N doesn't make it a good product for everyone to use. I would be the case opposite of yours. The K&N oil issue has been discussed here quite a bit before.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Originally Posted by babyman1737
Just because you're one person who has had good luck with K&N doesn't make it a good product for everyone to use. I would be the case opposite of yours. The K&N oil issue has been discussed here quite a bit before.
+1, Good said.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 PM

CLK 320
I don't believe I mentioned this before but when my CLK 320 MAF failed it always used the factory installed filter elements. That is why I chose to convert both filters over to K&N not to mention costly filter replacement. Depending on driving conditions each has their method of maintaining air filters. I personally remove, clean and oil every 5k miles.

As stated above in "babyman1737" thread it may be possible you used way to much oil/or not on the filter. Even so if you over oiled this wouldn't be what caused your CELs unless you had someone analyze the residue or contaminantes on the MAFS. As a matter of fact I contacted my MB Mechanic who explained that on MB MAF's main cause of failure is the SILICONE protecting the circuit board that eventually leaks out due to heat and shorts out the wire. Has anyone else heard this and is there any documentation supporting Oil from K&N filters causing MAFS Failure?

THE GREATER ABSURDITIES ARE, THE MORE STRONGLY THEY EVINCE THE FALSITY OF THAT SUPPOSITION FROM WHENCE THEY FLOW.

Last edited by Rickyracer; 06-28-2011 at 03:25 PM.