CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Soft top borked.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 500 cabriolet
Service advisor never called but I got there about half hour before close. They told me it was in safety mode and it would need an hour and half to reset it. Then a tech comes out, took the key, turned counterclockwise and reset in 30 seconds. Could have told me that over the phone but extremely happy no major issue. He did mentin he had never seen that happen before from hitting a bump.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:31 AM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
rebuilding hydraulic pumps

Originally Posted by mrtremere
The top just stop working one day. The fact I used the top multiple times a day probably didn't help. Even the Mercedes Tech needed more time to fix the issue, but the honored the original time of 4 hours for labor. I took it in the butt on this one but I had a nice severance package from my last job, so I just said screw it and get it done. They had the car for 4 days. I'm giving the failed pump to All Convertible tops in San Diego so they can learn how to rebuild them. The one guy on the web has a 5 week turnaround time.
These pumps usually fail due to a burnt out motor. The failure rate of these motors is about even among modern convertibles - it is not specific to W209s. Top Hydraulics rebuilds most of these pumps, including W209's.

-Klaus

Klaus@tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 02-04-2012, 11:16 AM

2005 CLK 500 cabriolet
Ok, this is happening once or twice a week now. Hit a bump and tells me top unlocked. Once just pulling into my driveway. Most times I have to stop, open trunk manually (as they showed me previously at dealership), re-open partition and then start top open process. It doesn't matter if partition is open or closed. Once re-set all is well. Could this possibly be a sensor issue?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:22 PM
SPONSOR

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320 pano top, 95 Lorinser E320 Cabrio, Ferrari 360, Tesla X
Roof open signal

Originally Posted by Schmitty63
I felt the car shimmy a bit and the roof squeaked loudly. Immediately received a warning that top was unlocked. I pull off next exit, park and figure I would open then close the top. Well the windows start to come down only about quarter of an inch and everthing stops. I then go to close and it gives me a trunk partition warning. Try to open the trunk and it wont open with either the door release, the key fob or manully with key. I assume its because it thinks the roof is in opening operation.
Then a tech comes out, took the key, turned counterclockwise and reset in 30 seconds.
Ok, this is happening once or twice a week now. Hit a bump and tells me top unlocked. ... Could this possibly be a sensor issue?
Schmitty63,

I don't own a CLK (yet), but will try to answer using some extensive experience from SLs. Glad you are able now to reset the system.

It sounds like some micro switch is telling the controller temporarily, while you are driving over a bump, that the roof is open. Unless you have a loose wire somewhere (which is rare), this would be one of the roof latches' micro switches temporarily signalling "roof open". In the older SLs I'm used to, this would result in some annoying beeping for a while, but I suppose safety protocol has been tightened up for W209s and requiring reset.

The dealer should have been able to read through Star Diagnosis which switch showed open. However, I understand that you got there just before closing time...

In SLs, it is typically the front latches temporarily signalling "roof open" after driving over a bump, if the front of the soft top doesn't get latched very tightly any more. In those cars, that would be the case after folks made adjustments without knowing how to do it correctly, or if the rubber seals are getting weaker and there is less tension on the front seal.

I hope the following info below is useful:

Post #5 in the following thread has pdf's showing some details of the hydraulic latch system - you should be able to figure out from there where your micro switches are located: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209...tructions.html

The following thread has a pdf file with the Soft Top circuit diagram: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209...it-switch.html

S84/3. soft top limit switch (open).
S84/9. soft top trunk luggage cover limit switch. - with CODE 282a (Ski Bag -through loading feature)
S84/15. soft top bow (up/down) limit switch.
S84/19. soft top bow limit switch (locked).
S84/13. soft top compartment cover switch group (open/closed) limit switch.
S84/22. soft top compartment cover limit switch (locked).
S84/11. left soft top limit switch (locked).
S84/18. right soft top limit switch (locked).
S84/20. ski bag limit switch (closed) - with CODE 282a Ski Bag.

-Klaus

klaus@tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 02-04-2012, 02:09 PM

2005 CLK 500 cabriolet
Great info! I tend to believe its the front latch issue of which you spoke. Thanks Klaus, this should prove to be very helpful.