CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Best Way to Add iPod/Bluetooth to my 2006 CLK 350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK350
Best Way to Add iPod/Bluetooth to my 2006 CLK 350?

Hey guys - I have a 2006 CLK 350 with navigation but it does not have ipod/bluetooth. According to the local dealer, it would cost $1800 to add factor bluetooth/ipod, which seems a bit pricey.

I have done some superficial research and have come across a few aftermarket options, including Mobridge, Denison Gateway,and Nav-TV.

Mobridge seems to come highly recommended, but looking at the videos it seems to scroll through the ipod one artist/song at a time. That seems very cumbersome to me.

Denison Gateway has the same issue.

Nav-TV looks fantastic from an interface perspective and even plays video! Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbthWTy-DFU

I am sort of not sure which direction I should go. What do you guys think? Are there other options? Which one is best? Would Nav-TV work on my vehicle? Honestly, it seems like the best one out of the three, but haven't heard many reviews.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
Use the advanced search function, I think it's been covered ...
Old 06-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
That "VehicleDock" is actual a DLO HomeDock. We tested in thoroughly and it is pretty buggy. It locks up A LOT, and you have to unplug and replug the ipod frequently to "start over". Plus, you will notice in reality you are still scrolling one per click. The listing on the mObridge is very very similar. I think we have a video on our site showing more about it (although I am answering this on my phone, so can not see everything)

http://cartronics.com/mObridge.html
Old 06-19-2011, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
for 1800 get yourself an aftermarket system that does more than the oem system
Old 06-19-2011, 01:16 PM

2015 E400 CAB, 2010 Jeep Compass, 2009 E350 Sedan
I just recently (Yesterday) had you are looking for installed. After a allot research and recommendations on these forums. I ended using KVC Cellular his name is Keith Valentine goes buy Cellular on Ebay. He has been installing BT package's on Mercedes for over 25 years.

He drove 100 miles to my house and did the install in 30 min. Heres a link to his Ebay his phone # is listed. http://shop.ebay.com/cellguy85/m.htm...id=p4340.l2562

I am not affiliated with him at all just had great services from a very knowledgeable person with fair prices.

Peace and Happy Fathers Day

Louie

Last edited by Louie D; 06-19-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-19-2011, 02:58 PM

CLK350
Originally Posted by Cartronics
That "VehicleDock" is actual a DLO HomeDock. We tested in thoroughly and it is pretty buggy. It locks up A LOT, and you have to unplug and replug the ipod frequently to "start over". Plus, you will notice in reality you are still scrolling one per click. The listing on the mObridge is very very similar. I think we have a video on our site showing more about it (although I am answering this on my phone, so can not see everything)

http://cartronics.com/mObridge.html
What "VehicleDock" are you talking about? Are you referring to the Nav-TV unit in the video?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:59 PM

CLK350
Originally Posted by bheng
for 1800 get yourself an aftermarket system that does more than the oem system
bheng i thought about it. but i just don't feel comfortable replacing my entire system even if it will upgrade to touch screen, video, backup cam, etc. i just don't like the idea of taking out the factory system and having the look of the interior change.

Trending Topics

Old 06-19-2011, 03:00 PM

CLK350
Originally Posted by Louie D
I just recently (Yesterday) had you are looking for installed. After a allot research and recommendations on these forums. I ended using KVC Cellular his name is Keith Valentine goes buy Cellular on Ebay. He has been installing BT package's on Mercedes for over 25 years.

He drove 100 miles to my house and did the install in 30 min. Heres a link to his Ebay his phone # is listed. http://shop.ebay.com/cellguy85/m.htm...id=p4340.l2562

I am not affiliated with him at all just had great services from a very knowledgeable person with fair prices.

Peace and Happy Fathers Day

Louie
louie thanks for the reply. what unit did this guy install for you?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Uncle Peppi
What "VehicleDock" are you talking about? Are you referring to the Nav-TV unit in the video?
Correct. It is a product that is actually no longer made, but can be had on ebay for about $25. We have both the Nav-TV branded unit and a DLO branded unit. They are the same. If you are interested, you can buy it from us for $25 plus shipping. You also need the VIM interface to make it work in most installations.
As we do all products, we long term tested it, and changed units just in case we got a bad one (we always test more than one). We decided not to offer it, because it just was not reliable and "solid" - the software in the unit is a bit flakey. During a typical days use, we had to unplug and plug the ipod 3/4 times and restart the system. The original maker, DLO, pulled the product for the same reason. But there are a ton of them on the secondary market available for cheap if you really want that.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:55 PM

CLK350
Correct. It is a product that is actually no longer made, but can be had on ebay for about $25. We have both the Nav-TV branded unit and a DLO branded unit. They are the same. If you are interested, you can buy it from us for $25 plus shipping. You also need the VIM interface to make it work in most installations.
As we do all products, we long term tested it, and changed units just in case we got a bad one (we always test more than one). We decided not to offer it, because it just was not reliable and "solid" - the software in the unit is a bit flakey. During a typical days use, we had to unplug and plug the ipod 3/4 times and restart the system. The original maker, DLO, pulled the product for the same reason. But there are a ton of them on the secondary market available for cheap if you really want that.
Sounds like it's not the way to go then. I really like the interface though and the fact that you can play video. I wonder why Mobridge doesn't make their interface similar. The one-at-a-time scroll looks like it will be excruciatingly painful to use.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

They both scroll one artist at a time. Watch the video again to see what I mean. There is actually very little difference in the two, just in the way they look on the screen. The mObridge also lets you control the iPod from the iPod itself... AND... if purchased with bluetooth phone option, allows you to do wireless bluetooth streaming (or add the AnyStream to the non phone version)
Actually very very versatile. Also enjoys an install base over 10,000 units.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:47 PM

CLK350
They both scroll one artist at a time. Watch the video again to see what I mean. There is actually very little difference in the two, just in the way they look on the screen. The mObridge also lets you control the iPod from the iPod itself... AND... if purchased with bluetooth phone option, allows you to do wireless bluetooth streaming (or add the AnyStream to the non phone version)
Actually very very versatile. Also enjoys an install base over 10,000 units.
Yeah I see what you mean, but the other unit shows you about 4 other artists on either side of the one you are currently selected on, which just makes it easier to find what you want. And the overall asthetics is more appealing. On the mObridge, can you scroll quickly by holding down the down-arrow? For example, if I want to get to artist "Stone Temple Pilots" which is clearly toward the end of the alphabet, is there any fast way to get to them? Can you press the up-arrow at the start in order to get to Z and then go to the opposite way? Can you type in the letter "S" somehow to get to the start of the artists starting with that letter? Also, when playing a track, can you pause it? Çan you rewind and fast forward? PS why doesn't the mObridge unit play video, it seems easy enough?

Is the bluetooth on the mObridge unit good? Does it use the steering wheel control. Do you have a phone book option on the nav screen itself? External mic? Is it basically just like factory bluetooth?

Sorry for the all the questions man, but I just like to be well informed before making decisions. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Uncle Peppi; 06-19-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: left out some information
Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The bluetooth on the mObridge is considered the best available. Almost every user reports that you ca not tell that the phone is not being held to your head. It is 1000% like factory in every function, but has even more (listed on our site).
Neither system included a "quick" scroll, however, the mObridge makes it pretty easy to go from G to S etc. Nothing is more elegant than the actual Apple interface( the reason it became so popular), so it allows you to use that too (most systems don't)
You can rewind and FF with no problem. There is no pause, except on the ipod itself (Mercedes does not contain such a feature).
We do have a way to do video, same as the Nav TV actually. What the NAV-TV does not explain is that it is using a VIM to do what it does. So a VIM with a mObridge allows you to do video too. If you have more specific questions, it would be best to call one of our installers to explain, as I could type for hours about all the details. One big concern, is the mObridge is installed by more MB dealerships than ANYTHING else. That should tell you a lot too.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:18 AM

CLK350
great, thanks. how much is VIM? is that the unit on your site for $679?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Yes that is the price currently (this post on June 2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 01:17 PM

CLK350
the mObridge makes it pretty easy to go from G to S etc.
how does it make it easy?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

You will see G at the top of the screen and G artists in the middle. Scroll quickly to the right from G to S for instance.
Of course, as I have said before...nothing beats the elegance of the iPod interface itself. So you can always use the iPod itself for navigating very large collections. No matter what, us and all other manufacturers are having to "repurpose" the Mercedes screen and buttons for iPod use. It works very well for most users.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM

CLK350
You will see G at the top of the screen and G artists in the middle. Scroll quickly to the right from G to S for instance.
i didn't know it had that feature. that sounds great. otherwise scrolling would be incredibly tedious. what button is used to scroll to the right though? (since the ok and arrow keys are not able to be used).
Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The arrow keys do work.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
How can I get Bluetooth for 2007 E350 Cab.? Not interested in Iphone adapter.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Raed some of the above links posted and also do a search on it. There is plenty of options.

Good Luck

Louie

"Sitting at work bored"
Old 06-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

If your car has UHI, the the Viseeo MB2 is best. If your car does not have UHI, then the iTronic BT is best. To determine if your car has UHI or not...visit http://www.cartronics.com and select MERCEDES, then select E Class 03-08 Sedan (cab or sedan is the same) - Then select the first item which is BLUETOOTH PHONE SYSTEM
Old 06-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Cartronics,
Quick question for you. On the Viseeo MB2 I notice that there a astriek * on this quote.

MB-2 is the only product allowing you to press the button on it and activate Voice Recognition software on your phone*.

And leads to this *Feature support depends on cellular phone, car and car radio functionality

With that said I know my Phone supports it but how can I tell if the car does ?

Thanks
Louie
Old 06-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

That particular feature is not car dependant, only phone dependant.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 149 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by Uncle Peppi
louie thanks for the reply. what unit did this guy (Keith Valentine, aka cellguy85) install for you?
re Bluetooth, I paid about $600 for the parts from Keith, and he sent me detailed install instructions, gave me a rundown on the phone pre-install, and actually walked me thru some obstacles during install. I recommend to everyone that they call him FIRST, for the OEM option. He's in SoCal, 714-746-5930; The install instructions, if you want a preview, are HERE.

re iPod, I installed the aux-in cable, which doesn't integrate iPod at all (THIS THREAD, if you're interested), then I wired an iPod 20 pin cable to it, so it at least charges and has fixed volume. When I was about 80% into my overly complicated solution, I learned at the dealership parts window that there's an OEM iPod cable I could have used for my Audio20 HU, part numbers 6-7-82-4531 or 6-7-82-4257; I'm sure there's one for your COMAND as well.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Way to Add iPod/Bluetooth to my 2006 CLK 350?