CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

done to death ...i know...OIL CHANGES!!!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 270 cdi
done to death ...i know...OIL CHANGES!!!!

hi everyone, i kniw this has been done to death but....how do you change oil and filter on a 270cdi ? I have seen different threads but all for petrol and not diesels. Why the heck do people suggest sucking the oil out rather than using a sump plug?. also i cant workout how to measure how much oil i have put back in (apart from how many litres i put in ).from what i see people say the dash should tell me but i cant see to get it to read this?.. has anyone any ideas?..is a 2003 clk first of the newer shape....and yes this is my first benz, always had cheap run arounds.....god what have i been missing amazing car!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:54 AM

CLK 240 - 2003
is the Diesel engine similar to the petrol one?

if yes, first,
read both these links( This many more are found on DIY Oil change and where the filter is located so that can help much)
http://www.installuniversity.com/mb/...oilchange.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...il-change.html

Oil Filter:

second, as for either sucking or draining the oil, IMO, each has his own way to do it, some people say from below to cleanse out the residues in the bottom, some prefer the sucking method since this is something new and can get into places draining wont be the solution for. & Sucking in my opinion is more easy since you dont need to take the risk of going under the car and taking off the cover since that might be a bit of a hassle. so do what you normally do, but either way i guess if the job is done properly then the outcome would be relatively the same.

third, as to measuring the oil, the easiest way is buying a dipstick from your dealership. that would be the easiest thing to do. if you need to verify using the cluster, then on your dashboard, press a couple of times to reach the temperature view. scroll down using your arrow keys till you get something like check oil engine level. the car should be parked on a flat level, and then turn to ignition 2. that would tell you if the level is either "OK" or needs more oil, etc.
There is one more advanced method, which is trying to do the following:
make sure the default mode in your cluster is set to temp.
(Close your door and windows supposedly)
turn to ignition 1, within 2 seconds, press the dash reset handle 3 consecutive times till you hear a beep. you would see different settings now in your cluster as in Dyno mode, and other info, scroll till you see somewhere Oil level. that would give you definite reading of the Liters of oil you have in ur engine.

fourth, make sure you get the right oil for your engine in addition to the right filter. no turn arounds here. you want ur car to live happily ever after and take u around town, you need to get it the right stuff.
as for the type of oil, i guess Diesel engines require different types but hopefully some of the masters here in the forum can tell you about that.

(mann Filter - Fleece not paper!!!!)

you can use the following link to view what is good for your car:
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-716-merc...ngine-oil.aspx

i guess for your side you need to be searching for MB 229.31 & MB 229.51 , i guess these are set for Diesel engines (that i guess i`m sure of)
229.51 is backward compatible with 229.31 if not mistaken so see what type of oils have MB Recommendation 229.51

i guess your car would be needing around 8 Liters of Oil.
that you can check with your dealer.

Good luck!

Last edited by boull; 10-14-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by boull
make sure the default mode in your cluster is set to temp.
(Close your door and windows supposedly)
turn to ignition 1, within 2 seconds, press the dash reset handle 3 consecutive times till you hear a beep. you would see different settings now in your cluster as in Dyno mode, and other info, scroll till you see somewhere Oil level. that would give you definite reading of the Liters of oil you have in ur engine.
I tried this way. I succeeded to get into the Dyno Mode and this was what I saw:
Instr sw 1103
Ver. 1044
Instr hw 1603
Instr No:
A209 540 34 11
Oil lev.: -.-l

Unfortunately, it does not show the exact oil level for me.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:58 AM

CLK 240 - 2003
Originally Posted by mis3
I tried this way. I succeeded to get into the Dyno Mode and this was what I saw:
Instr sw 1103
Ver. 1044
Instr hw 1603
Instr No:
A209 540 34 11
Oil lev.: -.-l

Unfortunately, it does not show the exact oil level for me.
this might me a silly question, but when you got into Dyno mode, and you were able to see the "Oil Lev.:" did u start your car afterwards to see if the Oil Level refreshed a new reading?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:34 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The oil level can't be checked through the cluster with the engine running. There is also logic that won't allow it to be checked when the engine is too hot or too soon after it has been shut down. This is to make sure you get an accurate reading from the sump as opposed to all the oil being spread across the engine internals.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by boull
this might me a silly question, but when you got into Dyno mode, and you were able to see the "Oil Lev.:" did u start your car afterwards to see if the Oil Level refreshed a new reading?
Good catch. I didn't start the car. I never went into this Dyno Mode before.

I did and the oil reading was populated. It started at 7.9L and settled into 6.1/6.2L.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:19 PM

2006 Mercedes Benz CLK500
Is 7.9 Litres a good number, mine says 6.7 a little worried!!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 AM

CLK 240 - 2003
Originally Posted by Superclk500
when you start the car, there is oil being consumed.. so for sure the liters would go down.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by Superclk500
Do it like me. Let the car cools down and all the oil returns to the reservoir. Go to dyno mode, start the car and you will see the initial oil level and this level will go down while the oil circulates in the engine.

Mine started at 7.9 L and and settled around 6.1-6.2 L. I then repeated the process the next morning and the oil level started at 8.0 L.

Your 6.7 L number does seem low if you just started the car. This should not do any damage but it's always wise to top it up. Also, measure this once in a while to check if there is any oil loss.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 AM

clk 270 cdi
Thanks everyone for chipping in. Going to give it a go today. I prefere the dipstick method! why change something that works!!!, so how hard is the auto box oil to change?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:17 AM

CLK 240 - 2003
Originally Posted by pabs52
Thanks everyone for chipping in. Going to give it a go today. I prefere the dipstick method! why change something that works!!!, so how hard is the auto box oil to change?
Auto box oil as in Automatic transmission fluid u mean?
Pretty hard, better go to your dealer and let them handle that.. it is not that much of an easyDIY. their is either a Drain or a Flush method. One takes out all the oil and replaces it and the other takes only a portion and replaces it with a fresh one.

better go to ur dealer, they can do u a full service but if i recall well, it can cost a pretty penny for such a job.

Gd luck.

(do some research everything ur asking was covered in many many posts and u can really get more info since there are some experts here on different subjects)
Old 10-27-2011, 10:48 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Actually, changing the fluid and filter on the 722.6 transmission isn't too hard, but you may be better off going to an experience mechanic. You drop the pan to drain and replace the filter. You'll get about 4l of fluid out. You will need to buy a dipstick (the vehicle does not come with one) and you will need an infrared thermometer to check the transmission's temperature as fill level is critically linked to operating temp. By the time you buy a dipstick, fluid and filter, you're probably 80% of the way to paying a good indy garage (just make sure they are a good Mercedes-Benz garage!)