CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Track Pics - Dubai Autodrome 1.26.12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Hmmm never thought of trans adaptations.... must try this.!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
FYI, the "ECU reset" is actually just a reset of the adaptive TCU. Resetting it will give you very temporary results. After driving "normally" in traffic, the TCU will revert back to a less responsive mode. It's just the way it works. If you want to keep your transmission in "drive it like you stole it" mode, just always use the TouchShift (or paddles) and make it hold gear longer and downshift earlier. And for those with AMG vehicles, they use a different transmission that is capable of much faster shifts, so you can't compare those to non-AMG vehicles.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Congrats and big for reppin Benz's on the track! I love runnin mine on the track and like it even better when I see other benz's too!

Look forward to vid's with your GoPro next time!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by Rudeney
FYI, the "ECU reset" is actually just a reset of the adaptive TCU. Resetting it will give you very temporary results. After driving "normally" in traffic, the TCU will revert back to a less responsive mode. It's just the way it works. If you want to keep your transmission in "drive it like you stole it" mode, just always use the TouchShift (or paddles) and make it hold gear longer and downshift earlier. And for those with AMG vehicles, they use a different transmission that is capable of much faster shifts, so you can't compare those to non-AMG vehicles.
To keep in practice I always use the paddles now, my trans stays nice and sharp. Andy will definitely notice a difference after a reset, I know quite a few guys previously mentioned they do so monthly.

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Congrats and big for reppin Benz's on the track! I love runnin mine on the track and like it even better when I see other benz's too!

Look forward to vid's with your GoPro next time!
Thanks pal, looking forward to getting out there again with more pics and video
Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
I will try it when I get a chance . Thanks Kev.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
I missed this thread until now. It's great to see another Benz owner enjoying their car on a track (other than a drag strip). You have quite a CLK"500"! With the Kleeman supercharger, what is the estimated HP at the crank?........How much more HP/torque does it have over a stock C/CLK55?

It indeed is a satisfying feeling when you and your car perform above expectations. I also find it curiously satisfying when I'm able to keep up with or pass cars on a track that are supposed to be "better" track/sports cars. Ultimately, we all know that driver skill plays a major role in laptimes on your average lapping day.

Where in Canada did you "race"? What tracks in Canada did you drive on in the past? I'm from Ontario, so I'm more familiar with tracks like Mosport, Shannonville, and Cayuga.

Originally Posted by Kevwood
........As for the heat soak, yes, the last 2 laps of the second session I noticed that I wasn't reaching the same speeds on the front straight as I was before. It was minimal though, the animal never seemed to really get tired.......
This is the main reason I have not upgraded my car with a Kleeman supercharger all these years. I still occasionally track my C55, and I would just go nuts if the car could not perform to full potential because of heat soak. With stock NA power, the C55 has never experienced any loss in performance despite continuous sessions of 30-60 minutes regularly throughout all my lapping days.

Would love to see in-car videos of your track days in the future. Do you drive with ESP "off" or not?

And one final comment: I notice in the pics that your track day was in the evening...must be nice....lower temperatures, and probably more comfortable for everybody. I've never done that, as the tracks I've gone to don't have lights.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
I missed this thread until now. It's great to see another Benz owner enjoying their car on a track (other than a drag strip). You have quite a CLK"500"! With the Kleeman supercharger, what is the estimated HP at the crank?........How much more HP/torque does it have over a stock C/CLK55?
Thanks. Kleemann says "up to 500HP", the last time I had the car dyno'd it put 370 to the wheels at 5300rpm, the dyno operator was having issues and the dyno kept shutting down. It would be reasonable to assume it was making 400HP at redline. Hopefully I'll have some defining numbers in the next month or so when a new ECU tuner here can finish the tune and get it rolling on his dyno. The big thing about the setup is the massive amounts of torque throughout the entire RPM range, a beast compared to n/a. I've added a few things since the initial install as well, a modified and cleaned up tune will also benefit it.

It indeed is a satisfying feeling when you and your car perform above expectations. I also find it curiously satisfying when I'm able to keep up with or pass cars on a track that are supposed to be "better" track/sports cars. Ultimately, we all know that driver skill plays a major role in laptimes on your average lapping day.

Where in Canada did you "race"? What tracks in Canada did you drive on in the past? I'm from Ontario, so I'm more familiar with tracks like Mosport, Shannonville, and Cayuga.
Race City Speedway in Calgary. I never made it out to the excellent tracks in BC or Ontario.

This is the main reason I have not upgraded my car with a Kleeman supercharger all these years. I still occasionally track my C55, and I would just go nuts if the car could not perform to full potential because of heat soak. With stock NA power, the C55 has never experienced any loss in performance despite continuous sessions of 30-60 minutes regularly throughout all my lapping days.

Would love to see in-car videos of your track days in the future. Do you drive with ESP "off" or not?
Heat soak is a fact of life with a SC or turbo but believe me, the performance won't reach anywhere near stock levels. I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever in doing the Kleemann package (along with all the other mods), fun little car.

***edit*** Yes, I race with the ESP off.

And one final comment: I notice in the pics that your track day was in the evening...must be nice....lower temperatures, and probably more comfortable for everybody. I've never done that, as the tracks I've gone to don't have lights.
Yes, this one was a night session which is great because the temps here in Dubai at night this time of year are only about 25*C, much better than the 30's, 40's and 50's we get here the rest of the year.

Last edited by Kevwood; 02-06-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
If I had the nads to gut a benz it would be something like this.....
This is vid of a purpose built kleemann c55.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNXGq...eature=related
Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by betrezra
Oh man does that ever sound great! Reminds me of running my gutted car back home - it sounded so raw it was beautiful
Old 02-06-2012, 06:14 PM

CLK550
Originally Posted by Kevwood
Race City Speedway in Calgary. I never made it out to the excellent tracks in BC or Ontario.
R.I.P. Race City
Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 PM

'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320
Originally Posted by betrezra
I love that car. I watched a few of those videos, the one I remember the most was c55's engines last day lol
Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by whtclk
R.I.P. Race City
That track needed a lot of work 8 years ago, I can't even imagine how bad it was getting before they closed it last year. Too bad there wasnt a group interested in taking over the facility and doing some solid marketing to rejuvinate it.

Is Stratotech still doing trackdays?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 AM

CLK550
I was out there a few times this year before it closed in October and it was very rough. Besides the drag racing on Friday nights it was almost entirely just used for drifting. I think Stratotech closed at the end of 2011 also because they couldn't find a buyer. Never been out there but I heard they stopped doing karts and car track days and it was only bikes now.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So in other words, if I end up moving back there I'm going to have to be making trips to BC if I want to road-race... Damn shame.

Years ago there was talk of turning Bud Park in Deadmonton (called Castrol Speedway or something now) to a full facility. I remember seeing (via Google Earth) the roadcourse had been plowed but it was never paved/finished.