CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

only changing one sway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 clk 500
only changing one sway

is it safe, practical, logical, etc. to change only the front sway bar?

I wanted to do a swap to blk series sways, but I couldn't figure out if it was a direct fitment. While I was browsing the boards though, I read that apparently the rear sway swap is really time consuming (and labor is expensive as hell) so I'd like to know if I could just pop in a H&R front sway and leave my 2003 CLK 500 OEM rear sway alone. Supposedly the front sway dials out understeer and the rears oversteer, so I guess a ridiculously thick front sway would burn off some of the CLK's legendary understeer.

Just a random side query: I'm planning on swapping my oem springs to Eibachs, (don't want to drop too much so I'm passing on H&Rs) is running stock shocks really that bad on slightly lowered springs? I understand euro spec cars have lower springs, and, to my knowledge, they run the same shocks as us so I'd imagine it's not too big of a deal.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 PM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 E43
Originally Posted by kameno
is it safe, practical, logical, etc. to change only the front sway bar?

I wanted to do a swap to blk series sways, but I couldn't figure out if it was a direct fitment. While I was browsing the boards though, I read that apparently the rear sway swap is really time consuming (and labor is expensive as hell) so I'd like to know if I could just pop in a H&R front sway and leave my 2003 CLK 500 OEM rear sway alone. Supposedly the front sway dials out understeer and the rears oversteer, so I guess a ridiculously thick front sway would burn off some of the CLK's legendary understeer.

Just a random side query: I'm planning on swapping my oem springs to Eibachs, (don't want to drop too much so I'm passing on H&Rs) is running stock shocks really that bad on slightly lowered springs? I understand euro spec cars have lower springs, and, to my knowledge, they run the same shocks as us so I'd imagine it's not too big of a deal.
Sure you can...but a larger front bar will increase understeer for all intent. a larger rear bar will increase oversteer...to over simplify it a little bit. All my H&R bars have been adjustable, so if it ends up kicking you butt - it is pretty simple to dial it back a notch. My guess is that you will not have a y problems.

I'm only doing the front myself. On my AWD VW CC I had the H&R rear bar only. On my R32 I had the rear only for a while before installing the front because you had to drop the entire subframe to get it in.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
Nothing wrong with upgrading just the front, I think plenty of people have done it before with other cars.
Running lowering springs on stock shocks wear out your shocks faster, so they might blow after a while.

Last edited by togaclk55; 01-31-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 PM

'03 clk 500
thanks for the clarification!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Not to contradict the other members who have already answered but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

The OEM bars on the car work as a system to bring a balanced ride to the car, changing one out (that is also part of another system) changes the dynamics of the balance. I'm positive that doing so will not have any adverse effects for street driving but because I'm pretty heavy into suspension systems and a few years of building/modding track cars under my belt I'm not one to cut corners and IMO, changing one bar is doing just that.

Although its certainly not as extreme a situation, but would you put performance summer tires on the front of the car and keep all season tires on the rear? Or would you put aftermarket performance struts up front and leave OEM shocks in the rear?

Don't take what I'm saying personally, just take it as my opinion.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 E43
Originally Posted by togaclk55
Running lowering springs on stock shocks wear out your shocks faster, so they might blow after a while.
+1
Lowering springs are not a good way to go IMHO. I always used coilovers on my other cars but in a moment of bad judgement, used the H&R sport springs on my CC. The ride was terrible and got worse over the next 10k miles. The stock shocks were not working within their range and contributed greatly to the problem. By the time I would have bought the Bilstein shocks for lowered cars to fix the ride and the cost of the springs and the install/alignment, I coulda had coilovers...so I went back to stock...and sold the car.
I'd rather buy a used set of coilovers than lowering springs...but the situation could be completely different on a Benz. Just my opinion.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
I've had the h&r sport springs on my car for 2 yrs and about 16K miles. I have not had any issues at all with the ride, handling, or shocks. Recently changed the sway bars (h&r). I considered upgrading the shocks to bilsteins at the same time, but could not convince myself there was anything wrong with the stocks (43K miles on the car).
Old 02-02-2012, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I did the H&R springs, sways and Koni shocks/struts all at the same time and love the ride of the car. Very comfortable for a daily driver then a few turns on each corner to tighten the Koni's and it handles like its on rails on the track.

I've had CO's on other cars and liked them for the adjustability but those were pretty much just weekend warriors/track cars. I didn't want to go that route this time, no regrets thus far.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55
Kev you think coilovers are overkill if you dont plan on tracking the car?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by togaclk55
Kev you think coilovers are overkill if you dont plan on tracking the car?
In Canada when I tracked the car every weekend competitively - no, not at all, they were awesome. For a daily driver that sees the track maybe 6 times a year, ya, I do. Here is my reasoning; if I had the KW V2 (which I was considering and still think they are awesome) I would be dropping the car and re-aligning it for every track event because I know that it will perform at it's best. After the event I would raise it, re-align it and go back to daily driving.

I don't want to have that option because I don't want to put myself in that hassle again.

I like the idea of just having to twist the tops of the Koni's and leave it at that. I guess I'm either getting lazy or more efficient in my mid-years For everyone on this board that has coil overs, I'm not saying it was the wrong choice, coils are great and have a lot of excellent adjustability features to them. I'm just saying that because I'm a fanatic, I'd be adjusting and fine tuning all the time if I had them and I just don't have the time to do that anymore.

I'm really happy with the current setup I have, it's great for daily and I'm no slouch through the corners on the track, great compromise IMO. Compromise... ouch, I am getting old!

Last edited by Kevwood; 02-02-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55
Im liking the easy adjustability of the konis. Might just have to get me some h&r springs, sways, and some konis.