CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by iyeoh
I guess I'm the only one in here that thinks the AMG brand cheapens a Mercedes-Benz lol

Thankfully, I'll never have a SLS, or the Gullwing would be missing the AMG badges lol

It's your car. It's your money. Who the h3ll cares what anyone else thinks. And yes, it's missing the Black Series Wing and badges!
thats a lot of bullsh*t in such few words
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Actually, I've driven them, on USA streets, but not allowed to actually own one - and that's the bad thing! Yes, they built plenty of diesel W163 at the factory right down the road here, and I was even luck enough to drive around in an ML400CDI but it could never be registered in the USA. What a shame! At least we do now have a few diesels here - the E (sedan only), S, ML and GL are all available now. They have been promising the C for a while, but no such luck. BMW and Audi are also delivering some diesels, but they just aren't big sellers here. It's really odd, though. MBZ seems to be making a car for everyone, so why not just let us custom order the diesels when we want them?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:25 AM

w209
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Actually, I've driven them, on USA streets, but not allowed to actually own one - and that's the bad thing! Yes, they built plenty of diesel W163 at the factory right down the road here, and I was even luck enough to drive around in an ML400CDI but it could never be registered in the USA. What a shame! At least we do now have a few diesels here - the E (sedan only), S, ML and GL are all available now. They have been promising the C for a while, but no such luck. BMW and Audi are also delivering some diesels, but they just aren't big sellers here. It's really odd, though. MBZ seems to be making a car for everyone, so why not just let us custom order the diesels when we want them?
Really? Would you like to have diesels? The DPF is rubbish, as it is the EGR. They are very contaminant so they need tons of unnecesary and complicated technologies and parts in order to apply contamination normatives which die frequently or cause problems and are stupidly expensive. The noise they make is awful, they only work more or less properly between 2000 and 3500 rpm... seriously, enjoy your cheap gas prices and drive proper cars. I understand that it can look exotic to you because you don't have them there, but believe me you are very very lucky.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by NardoNZ
thats a lot of bullsh*t in such few words
Oh give it up. Outside of the DTM and the Black Series, CLK AMGs aren't much of sports cars. It's his vehicle and it isn't your place to tell him what to do.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
2013 SL63 AMG
November 2012

Mod 8) CLK55 AMG Rear Box:

My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-box1.jpg

My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-novbb1.jpg

My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-novbb4.jpg

My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-novbb3.jpg

Another 2x Tips will be added in the future for the Quad tail pipe set up

Mod 9) Facelift GPS Aerial:

My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-novbb5.jpg
Old 11-18-2012, 07:30 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by iyeoh
Oh give it up. Outside of the DTM and the Black Series, CLK AMGs aren't much of sports cars. It's his vehicle and it isn't your place to tell him what to do.
for the second part I can feel you... but .......(comment deleted on CLK AMG's) LOL you know what... you're not even worth the argument about these cars

Last edited by NardoNZ; 11-18-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:32 PM

CLK55 AMG
@BBW: did you have to cut your bumper wider where the exhaust sits? looking good! the aerial is one I haven't seen done before... nice work, we might see that a bit more hopefully!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM

White CLK550
This is going to get good.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by CLK550 $wagger
This is going to get good.
LOL sorry mate, not going to waste my breath on such an Idiot.... clearly a guy with a midlife crisis if you look at his garage, so he'll think he knows it all anyway.

Also I really like this CLK270cdi and whats being done to it and I don't want to ruin the tread
Old 11-19-2012, 12:30 AM

White CLK550
LOL sorry mate, not going to waste my breath on such an Idiot.... clearly a guy with a midlife crisis if you look at his garage, so he'll think he knows it all anyway.

Also I really like this CLK270cdi and whats being done to it and I don't want to ruin the tread
Hahaha you don't have to apologize to me at all.

I agree the OP is dfoing a great job!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 AM

2013 SL63 AMG
@BBW: did you have to cut your bumper wider where the exhaust sits? looking good! the aerial is one I haven't seen done before... nice work, we might see that a bit more hopefully!
Yep, had to cut a huge amount off, they are very wide compared to the C43 AMG tips on my last car.

Before:
My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-myclk9.jpg

After:
My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-novbb1.jpg

Last edited by KILLERHERTZ; 11-19-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM

2013 SL63 AMG
Couple of pictures of my ambient interior lighting mods, im currently added 2x per front footwell and also one at the bottom of my rear view mirror:

My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-rvm1.jpg

My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-rvm3.jpg

My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-rvm2.jpg

My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-rvm4.jpg

I hope to have it all finished this weekend if its not stupidly cold again
Old 12-04-2012, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
Nardo we just have to accept that there will always be non AMG owners rocking the badge. Hell we've even seen them on non M-B cars. It's a shame yes but hey... It is what it is. I already find it weird to say the least on a 500 or 550 but on a 270 CDI is straight silly.

Anyway, OP I like your mods. It takes ***** to tear down the inside of a car like you did but it seems you know what you are doing! And I'm glad you decided to remove the badge.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 AM

2013 SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by elijah
And I'm glad you decided to remove the badge.
I havent!

If you really must go on and on about a tiny badge on the boot, cant you use the massive thread that already exists and leave my thread to discuss the mods!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
Originally Posted by BBW
I havent!

If you really must go on and on about a tiny badge on the boot, cant you use the massive thread that already exists and leave my thread to discuss the mods!
Newbie calm yourself! Don't get so offended, this is a forum. You will get critics positive and/or negative whether you like it or not. You asked for it the second you posted pics of a diesel rocking an AMG badge so deal with it.

BTW newbie refers to your amount of posts. Anyway have a good one
Old 12-04-2012, 09:09 AM

2013 SL63 AMG
Id have more posts on here, but the only threads that get an traffic seem to be related to badges
Old 12-08-2012, 05:33 PM

2013 SL63 AMG
Had a go at wiring up the RVM light this afternoon, wired it upto the factory fitted ashtray ambient light via the A-Pillar:

My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-am2.jpg

Careful to position the wiring away from the curtain roof airbag:
My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-am0.jpg

And finally a shot of the actual light on, this was before I applied some sandpaper to the LED to create a diffused light effect so its not as bright as this shot implys:
My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-am1.jpg

Once I have finished the footwell lights I will take some decent pictures with my SLR camera that can pick up low light levels a hell of alot better than my phone camera!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:38 PM

2013 SL63 AMG
Best picture I could managed before the battery ran out. They arent as bright as this in real life (ive brighten it in PS) but it does give you a good idea of what I have done:

2x LEDs per footwell, and one at the bottom of the RVM

My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-lighting_zps5aa96db9.jpg
Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
Wow great mods you do, without enough knowledge on the electrical subject...this car would turn into a deathtrap! RESPECT! AS for the badge prob: I know you are not up to fool others, its more to fool yourself, so you can keep yourself focused, without pressure to the real deal, one day, a real AMG...its the same with Rolex Replicas...sooner or later youll gonna rock a real Rolex. Thats what some should understand, he dont want to pose, he just likes or wants to fool himself, so he can stay focused on his goals without beeing disturbed by not driving an AMG eventhough this diesel should give him a hard time thinking that. Well if he never heard an V8 then he could even care less bout the sound of his diesel.
No sarcastic talk here, just what I feel in his case.
And if ya dont know know ya know ;-)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:54 PM

2013 SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by vsix
Wow great mods you do, without enough knowledge on the electrical subject...this car would turn into a deathtrap! RESPECT! AS for the badge prob: I know you are not up to fool others, its more to fool yourself, so you can keep yourself focused, without pressure to the real deal, one day, a real AMG...its the same with Rolex Replicas...sooner or later youll gonna rock a real Rolex. Thats what some should understand, he dont want to pose, he just likes or wants to fool himself, so he can stay focused on his goals without beeing disturbed by not driving an AMG eventhough this diesel should give him a hard time thinking that. Well if he never heard an V8 then he could even care less bout the sound of his diesel.
No sarcastic talk here, just what I feel in his case.
And if ya dont know know ya know ;-)
Deathtrap?!? - I have touched the stereo and the interior lighting. how could that make it a Deathtrap!?!

Haha, im impressed at how big you all think you are with your V8s. - Its a badge get over it, its not going any time soon. - For the record, imaging your gas prices 120% more than your paying now in the US
- welcome to England.

Its sad that the only replies on this forum are about the badge and not questions on my 'deathtrap' mods. - if noone cares about the other mods I will continue to only post on many many other forums out there, - hence my lack of posts in 10 years after owning 3 Mercs nearly all the replies on this forum are hostile - why is this?

Last edited by KILLERHERTZ; 01-03-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM

CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by BBW
Complete Dashboard facelift conversion:

Before with Audio 10 and pre-facelift switchgear:

After Audio 20 and facelift switchgear & heater controls:

(I know the upper trim doesnt match, but I cant find it on eBay )
I am interested to hear more about this mod. I am planning on doing it myself but the radio etc doesn't just plug in and work or does it? I had comand before I switched to an aftermarket dynavin unit. The top control unit and climate control are straight swap I assume? what did you do to get the radio working? have just ordered a face lift cage to hold everything in place and keen to start collecting all the bits.

For your previous post, I might be wrong, but I think VSIX actually backed you up instead of giving you *****. I think I might have been overreacting a bit towards the badge as its your own car in the end. I understand you aren't trying to convince anyone your car is a true AMG.

Keep the mods coming please! I'm really enjoying what you do to your car!
Attached Thumbnails My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-help1.jpg   My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-finaldash2.jpg   My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-finaldash0.jpg   My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project-finaldash1.jpg  

Last edited by NardoNZ; 01-03-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
Easy! Calm down!
What do you exactly mean with....how big you all think you are with your V8s?
Its all a matter of considering yourself grown up or not and how YOU see things.
Listen owning a V8 doesnt make you think you are big nor does it make you small if you own a diesel, like mentioned before...its up to you how you look at it. When I say you fool, then you fool, thats how it is. If noone told you that, then its time that someone tells you that right into your face and you then finally STOP drowning so much money into a ....jesus...diesel instead of backing up that money till you have a stack of cash and you are able to rock a real cool...sorry to say V8 ....
You dont know how it is to crank up an V8 dont ya? Go and testdrive one, dude! Youll be thanking me for kicking you out of that diesel.

I really dont want to offend you but jail your modbug till you get to the right car, because opportunities do pop up once in a time...and just because you modded a ...diesel...you wouldnt be able to jump on that train? Comon man! Common sense!
I love what you did but drown that money elsewhere, wifey, kids, watch, life, meals....ya know?
This is a super great forum alot of people here with their heart on the right spot, no matter where you go, people will missunderstand you because of your 270 diesel-amg thing.
See my replies as an honest advice and my will to help you, instead of getting flamed for aomething you didnt know...and if you ask me? If ya dont know ...know ya know!

Last edited by vsix; 01-04-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM

2013 SL63 AMG
My apologies if I read the deathtrap part the wrong way! Look at the pics, I didn't touch the airbag system at all.

I will post up more details of the dash conversion over the weekend

For all you diesel haters, imagine your gas prices were 120% what your paying now eh? That's what we have here. Sure I'd love a v8, but its not practical over here. Diesel s outsell petrols over here

Last edited by KILLERHERTZ; 01-03-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM

CLK55 AMG
Thats why I picked up my AMG so cheap from Leeds? cannot believe how cheap they sell them in the UK... what you pay for cars there you could drive around in a V8 for years and still spend the same in the end with cost of car and expenses included!!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 AM

2013 SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by vsix
Easy! Calm down!
What do you exactly mean with....how big you all think you are with your V8s?
Its all a matter of considering yourself grown up or not and how YOU see things.
Listen owning a V8 doesnt make you think you are big nor does it make you small if you own a diesel, like mentioned before...its up to you how you look at it. When I say you fool, then you fool, thats how it is. If noone told you that, then its time that someone tells you that right into your face and you then finally STOP drowning so much money into a ....jesus...diesel instead of backing up that money till you have a stack of cash and you are able to rock a real cool...sorry to say V8 ....
You dont know how it is to crank up an V8 dont ya? Go and testdrive one, dude! Youll be thanking me for kicking you out of that diesel.

I really dont want to offend you but jail your modbug till you get to the right car, because opportunities do pop up once in a time...and just because you modded a ...diesel...you wouldnt be able to jump on that train? Comon man! Common sense!
I love what you did but drown that money elsewhere, wifey, kids, watch, life, meals....ya know?
This is a super great forum alot of people here with their heart on the right spot, no matter where you go, people will missunderstand you because of your 270 diesel-amg thing.
See my replies as an honest advice and my will to help you, instead of getting flamed for aomething you didnt know...and if you ask me? If ya dont know ...know ya know!
Common sense? with respect you have no idea what your going on about, you seem to have issues with Diesels. you need to wake up.

Currently I have spent peanuts on the mods as I have sold on eBay their replacements, besides its my money I can spend as much as I like on MY HOBBY which is my car.

Like with the badges, its my car, I can do what I like with it. I thought this communty would be interested in the mods im doing. which I have discovered that all you guys seem to care about are badges and not having diesel engines.

Thats why I picked up my AMG so cheap from Leeds? cannot believe how cheap they sell them in the UK... what you pay for cars there you could drive around in a V8 for years and still spend the same in the end with cost of car and expenses included!!
Do you not think ive looked into it?

Car insurance alone would be over £1200 a year, add to that the high band of road tax £480 a year, then the MPG is nearly a 3rd of a diesel.

Add to that the cost of new pads, brakes on an AMG.

You guys dont know how lucky you are in the states, the UK and Europe are getting increasing more anti car.

Diesel suits the my needs perfectly. Diesels have outsold petrols for years in the UK.

Last edited by KILLERHERTZ; 01-04-2013 at 07:47 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 2003 CLK270 CDI - Modding Project