CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Mercedes Benz Repair guys = ABSOLUTE CROOKS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CLK500
Arrow Mercedes Benz Repair guys = ABSOLUTE CROOKS!

Just wanted to briefly share my recent experience getting my car repaired...

I went over a curb and messed up my alignment.. I brought the car to Mercedes and they told me I had major damage - my rear subframe and a few other small parts needed to be replaced. They quoted us at $3,000 - saying that was just the starting point and "from there, there could be a lot more work to be done".

Sooo, to make a long story short, we took it to a local body shop and they fixed up my car.. The subframe didn't have to be replaced, just the minor parts. The price? $450.

So, my advice is that if you have any problems with your car, do yourself a favor and just ask around at the local shops before you go spending obscene amounts of money on overpriced unnecessary work.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, its always the best to get a second opinion. Some of these people just dont know what they are talking about.

Now you can start to consider the SL wheels again!!
Old 08-01-2003, 05:00 PM

2002M3
Re: Mercedes Benz Repair guys = ABSOLUTE CROOKS!

Originally posted by likuidM5
Just wanted to briefly share my recent experience getting my car repaired...

I went over a curb and messed up my alignment.. I brought the car to Mercedes and they told me I had major damage - my rear subframe and a few other small parts needed to be replaced. They quoted us at $3,000 - saying that was just the starting point and "from there, there could be a lot more work to be done".

Sooo, to make a long story short, we took it to a local body shop and they fixed up my car.. The subframe didn't have to be replaced, just the minor parts. The price? $450.

So, my advice is that if you have any problems with your car, do yourself a favor and just ask around at the local shops before you go spending obscene amounts of money on overpriced unnecessary work.
It's a smart thing to shop around, nice job!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:54 AM

I had the same problem. They said i bent the rear subframe and front/rear control arms. All i did was go to bodyshop, for abt 500 bux i got a rim, control arm for front and alignment..

My rear whl seems to have a little positive camber stll tho, not sure an alignment will fix this.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Here's my latest run in with MB service. My CLK500 only has 800 miles on it and at some point, the left windshield wiper arm got bent. Never noticed it, but after using the wipers a couple of times it left a scratch on the windshield that was about 8 inches long. Dealer offered to replace it for free. Took it in last Friday. So here's the story:

1. Got a call on Saturday saying they put the new windshield on but want to keep the car over the weekend to let the glue dry properly. They said I can pick it up Monday, 8am.

2. I called Monday at 8am and they said they are just finishing up the windshield because it wasn't done on Friday. BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS DONE ON SATURDAY!?!? They said I can pick it up the same day at 2pm.

3. Called at 1pm to see if car was near ready. Guy said they are just finishing up and they want to keep it for 12 hours to let glue dry. Can pick it up Tuesday morning. BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS DONE AT 8AM??!?!?!

4. Got a call at 1:30 pm saying the new windshield was NOT PUT ON because when they opened the box for the new windshield, it was cracked. They said 7-10 days for a new windshield to come from Germany. Again, I THOUGHT IT WAS PUT ON AT 8AM!?!?!? I asked if I could come pick up the car and bring it back in 2 weeks when the new windshield came in. They said NO. They had taken the old windshield off, so I was not allowed to take the car. So the car would sit at the dealer for 2 weeks waiting for the new windshield to arrive. I'm pissed that I am paying $800/month for a leased car that will sit at the dealer for 2 weeks while they give me a DODGE NEON RENTAL to drive!! The only recourse I can think of at this point is to have MB pay one month's lease payment because I lost use of the car for essentially 3 weeks.

5. Got a call at 2pm from the service manager saying the old windshield was NEVER TAKEN OFF and that I could come by and pick up the car and bring it back in 2 weeks when the new windshield came in. THIS IS FAKE STORY #5 IN UNDER 6 HOURS TIME!!

So there's nothing I can do about them lying to me 5 times. I can't think of any recourse I have agains the dealer or MB for the lies I was told. IF ANYONE CAN THINK OF SOMETHING, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. The best I could think of is have them install a wood steering wheel I bought free of charge (it'll only taken them 30 minutes to do, so no big victory there)..

I don't care about the fact the new windshield was cracked. **** happens and I understand that. I can't believe I was lied to 5 times for 3 different people. It's as if they thought they wouldn't get caught!!
Old 08-06-2003, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I really think you should have your windlshield replaced somewhere else. Who knows what kind of story these crooks will be giving you two weeks later??!!

It took the mechanic 5 minutes to change my F1 steering wheel on my car. So, changing a steering wheel will only takes less than 10 minutes (provided the one who change it knows what he is doing). Asking them to change it for free is too little to ask for.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by Harris
I really think you should have your windlshield replaced somewhere else. Who knows what kind of story these crooks will be giving you two weeks later??!!

It took the mechanic 5 minutes to change my F1 steering wheel on my car. So, changing a steering wheel will only takes less than 10 minutes (provided the one who change it knows what he is doing). Asking them to change it for free is too little to ask for.
I know it's too little, but my hands are tied. It's not like I can ask for free service, because all maintenance is paid for by MB.

Any ideas?
Old 08-06-2003, 07:09 PM

04 CLK55, 86 BMW 635CSi, 02 Dodge Dakota
ChiCLK500 ... your story is UNBELIEVABLE! I mean - I do believe YOU! I can't believe that a dealership could be so disrespectful to do/say what they've done/said.

I would INSIST in the very strongest terms to meet with the General Manager of the dealership - at a time convenient to YOU - and present him with the series of events you have outlined here. Then explain to him you EXTREME anger at being treated with such cavalier disregard. Place the burden ON HIM to tell YOU what he is going to do to rectify the situation. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, ask him for the name and address of the regional MB representative. And continue going up the chain until you get to the Chairman of the Board of Damlier-Chrysler!

This kind of behavior is simply without excuse. Surely, all of us - as owners of MB automobiles - can expect, and must demand, better treatment.

keep us in the loop!
Old 08-06-2003, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by ChiCLK500
I know it's too little, but my hands are tied. It's not like I can ask for free service, because all maintenance is paid for by MB.

Any ideas?
Maybe I should say although its a 5 min job, I still recommend you to change it through the dealer. You sure dont want to mess up yourself and the airbag doesnt pop out when it needs to!!

Umm....what else you can ask for.....nothing much I guess. The service department usually has no authority to give out freebies.