CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

A Truly Close Call!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
A Truly Close Call!

My 17 year old son, thanks to high school peer pressure, and thanks to the magic of Ebay, was going to transform his 2005 CLK320 with stock 17 inch wheels and not a single spoiler into a convertible version of a CLK63 Black Series. He had found the CLK63, the AMG Black Series, the AMG door handle and the 6.3 badges. Plus he found a Taiwanese knockoff of the Black Series rear spoiler. But he was going to leave the front stock without a lip. I shudder to think how much faster the car would have gone after re-badging.

You know what? I'm so thankful for 3.2 liter M112 engines. I must share this with the other fathers of sons with M3s (meaning the debadged 323i and 328i versions lol) and RS4s (with 1.8 engines). Lol
Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Lol
Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
A Truly Close Call!-onuda.jpg
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 PM

CLS550
^^ LOL!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by togaclk55
haha well played
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
I see those cls550 w the AMG badge all the time !
Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 PM

CLS550
Almost every car I see at my local dealer with the AMG sport package has that AMG badge, especially the CL, SL, CLS and S class models. In fact, customers demand the badge, and how is the dealer going to say no? Especially when someone pays over $120K for a new SL. They want to sell cars!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 PM

e63 NA
haha peydiddy great shot... thanks for sharing the story iyeoh
Old 03-26-2013, 04:01 PM

CLS550
Guys,

Any ideas what I can do to a very stock CLK320 car to appease a teenager? I'm not buying him an AMG and I want to keep his engine stock and modest accelerating. What can I do appearance wise so that I can appease a teen? He is battling the school gossip that he drives an old-man boring car, which is what a Mercedes is to a crowd of testosterone fueled young males who have the usual Mustangs/Dodge Chargers/Corvettes/350Zs/BMWs.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Pufftrees
haha peydiddy great shot... thanks for sharing the story iyeoh
That was togaclk55's picture I was just quoting it
Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by iyeoh
Guys,

Any ideas what I can do to a very stock CLK320 car to appease a teenager? I'm not buying him an AMG and I want to keep his engine stock and modest accelerating. What can I do appearance wise so that I can appease a teen? He is battling the school gossip that he drives an old-man boring car, which is what a Mercedes is to a crowd of testosterone fueled young males who have the usual Mustangs/Dodge Chargers/Corvettes/350Zs/BMWs.
I would consider a clk of any kind an extremely nice car for a teenager. Most high school kids are plenty happy with a old honda civic or anything that really moves. If you really want to change the appended that much a drop and new wheels will do a lot, so will a AMG body kit. Then again I don't know how I would feel about my parents modding my cars for me...
Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 PM

e63 NA
Originally Posted by iyeoh
Guys,

Ahhh teenage angst. I know the feeling, I actually drove my father's S class while in high school. Talk about old man car... but DAMN it was pimp. I don't think anyone that ever rode in it had anything negative to say. Gossip is rough though!

As far as making his car look more modern, less 'old man' there are a few options and depend how much money you want to dish out lol. A new set of wheels can really make a car look better. Coinciding with that, if you do any suspension modification (H/R springs etc) it DEFINITELY won't look like an old man car. Suspension mods will cost you around 500 and a decent set of wheels you could probably score for around 1000 (see AMG replica 18s).

Other options would be to tint the windows. What color car is it btw? Tinting the rear lights can make it look pretty sick too. If you have a white car you could try carbon fiber accents to put on the car. Going a step further you could get a front lip or different diffuser/spoiler, or going on to a quad exhaust.

There's certainly things he can do to make it look more custom, tinting the windows and rear/front lights can do a lot and be cheap also. Same goes for changing the orange side markers up front or putting some carbon fiber stickons.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55
Rims, tint, and a drop should be good...I wish I had a CLK in high school
Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 PM

CLS550
Thanks so much for all the recommendations. I'm going to start with the simple easy cheap ones, like rear spoiler, front lip, clear side markers, white bulbs (he's surviving on the old school yellow ones), etc. Tinting the windows isn't a great idea around here because the cops are aggressive and teens are targeted for no reason other than they are kids.

Yes, it sounds very spoiled because a CLK is a beautiful car and there should be nothing to complain about. But his car is a convertible (sorry my preferences) and never fails to be equated with a chick mobile. The upside is that he fills his car with girls all the time, and as fast as a Corvette is, it sits one girl. I drove a MB in high school too.

But then he's a good kid, doesn't get into trouble and brings home the grades. Even then I'm not getting the type of wheels he wants. That would be a death wish for the kid. So I'm not changing exhaust on the CLK because it is fast enough and even the V6 can get someone into a lot of trouble.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 PM

CLS550
Both belong to the family but it's the pewter silver/grey car. I just polished the headlights.
Attached Thumbnails A Truly Close Call!-untitled.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55
Fast car + high school kid = bad news
Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by togaclk55
LOL. Love it. Idk why but I see so many CLS550's with AMG badges (more than other models) out here in socal

Originally Posted by Pufftrees
Ahhh teenage angst. I know the feeling, I actually drove my father's S class while in high school. Talk about old man car... but DAMN it was pimp. I don't think anyone that ever rode in it had anything negative to say. Gossip is rough though!
Dude! Same here. I got my dad's 94 S420. And ur right, man was it pimp. When we went to lunch, guess which car everyone wanted to ride in? ya and I received some other gossip around school about my "extra income activities" if you know what I mean, which were not true at all, only rumors

To the O/P: Oh and it's a vert too? That's sweet. Ya I'd say tints for sure, clear side markers, AMG style trunk spoiler, HID kit for the headlights, maybe wheels (I'm not too much of a fan of wheels), maybe tinted tail lights (again not a fan personally). Maybe look into a muffler and/or resonator delete for some deeper sound but won't give any power gains

Last edited by gaazmon; 03-26-2013 at 11:57 PM.