CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2007 CLK550 want to start mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLK550
2007 CLK550 want to start mods

So I just recently got my 07 CLK550 and while it does drive great, fast smooth it's just never enough lol. So I am considering what mods I'll want to do and wanted to see what everyone thinks about them and any recommendations and best place to get them! My goal is best bang for the buck. I don't want to do that much to the engine, but want to boost performance and eliminate the hesitation on acceleration. So I am considering a cold air intake, headers none restrictive exhaust and ECU upgrade. I would like to know which headers and exhaust everyone likes and which ECU modders are good. Next I am going to go with bigger sway bars and at least shocks/ springs. I do want it to still ride pretty well, but handle better. So wanted to see how everyone has done there's and where they got the parts.

I do have quite a bit of DIY experience so all of this is pretty mild to me. I got a 78 Datsun 280Z, it was a shell when I got it. I heavily modified the suspension and put a small block Chevy 400 in it, I had it at 510hp and 2800lbs. Very fun car! I just sold it though. My new inlaws are giving me a 68 Austin Healey 3000 that has been sitting disassembled in their garage for the past 20 years! So I needed room to put it. The CLK is replacing my 280Z in the fun to drive department!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Joe
Old 07-07-2013, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Congrats on the new ride... My 550 is modded with;
Mod Level of satisfaction
- Kleeman headers A
- Kleeman ECU reprogram B+ (HAD TO REPROG 4 EMISS
- Kleeman (?) "hi flow " cats C (NEED REPLACING AFT 25K M)
- Mandrus Millenium wheels A
- H&R sport (lowering) springs A
- H&R sway bars A (LESS FIRM SETTING)
- H&N air filter B (CLEAN MAF YEARLY)
- EBC yellow brake pads B+ (about same dust as OEM)
- Custom quad exhaust A+
- Acoustic insulation exhaust track &rear under A (Boom Mat stick on and spray)
- VIS rear CF diffuser A+
- ? CF rear spoiler C (D/N FIT AS WELL AS OEM)

NEXT WORK
- Paint custom exhaust tubing (flat black)
- Replace blown cats (primary) with magnaflow 200 cell 3-way metal (scheduling)
- Install laser shifter (WIP)
- paint hood vents black
- Custom (DIY) CF front lip spoiler (don't like/can't accom ones on market-lowered)
- will attempt to mould and get a local shop to fab CF lip
- will extend by 7/8" and keep bottom of bumper at same lowerd height
- Bilstein sport shocks/strut
- Refinish OEM wheels (DIY) - strip and polish rims

I have too many years and too little knowledge to do hardly any of the mods myself; I can polish, wax, clean, glue/adhere, patch, do electrical, and paint. This is a great car IMO. I've had my 08 for nearly 6 years. When it reaches 10 I wil "consider" a change.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:14 PM

2007 CLK550
Thanks Fatz love the ratings of the mods!

Are the magnaflow cats pretty free flowing?

Also how did the sound insulation work for you? I hadn't thought about it but that's a very good idea!

Thanks!

Joe
Old 07-08-2013, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by demidion
Thanks Fatz love the ratings of the mods!

Are the magnaflow cats pretty free flowing?

Also how did the sound insulation work for you? I hadn't thought about it but that's a very good idea!

Thanks!

Joe
At this point I can only go from what I have read in user reviews and manufacturer lit on the various universal cats; decided on the magnaflow based on their "spun" core method, and because I have a magnaflow muffler (14") and x-pipe. I will update you after I get them installed within the next 2 weeks.

The insulation works well. There was quite a large cavern left where the OEM muffler used to be; it was an echo chamber. I think magnaflow mufflers have a low frequency vibration to them which was being amplified by the "cavern". I used the spray from the axle back and some stick-on (heat reflective and acoustic) in the track over the muffler.

Attached is a pic taken of the car last week. The exhaust pics can be found at thread CKS Quad Exhaust Experience. The foil at the rear of the car is now covered by the black insulation (Boom Mat - rubber in a can).
Attached Thumbnails 2007 CLK550 want to start mods-clk550-070213-023.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 05:13 PM

2007 CLK550
Thanks! When I do the exhaust I'll be looking into getting the magnaflow cat and will definitely be doing the insulation!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Looks clean and classy! Thumbs up.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks betrezra...

demidion, i got the new cats in today. I looked at the removed kleemans and the pass side cat core was about 1/2 gone. The driver side cat core was intact but completely loose from the case. i had to get some fabrication done (pipe and O2 sensor connectos).

The number of cells looked to be the same as the replacement magnaflow (200).

The sound seemed the same initially but was slightly attenuated after about 30 miles of driving. Punching the gas pedal at idle produces a less abrupt note.

I was going to hold off on replacing the cats until my next emmission test was due but I could hear the rattles in a sound clip I made of the exhaust and I would sometimes get an "after rev" rattle.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:59 AM

2007 CLK550
Wow I'm surprised they failed that badly and so quickly. I hope the Magnaflows work better!