CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

new clk questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2007 ML350 and 2012 GL550
new clk questions

hey guys, i have bad news. my wife got into an accident with the clk55 and they totaled it. i bought an 04 clk320 with 70k from a private seller and its has hesitation from a stop, feels like its gonna stall, and it has even stalled. the guy said it sat for almost a month and put new battery in it. it had a half tank when bought it and filled it with premium and added lucas injector cleaner in it. my thing is is that the check engine light hasnt come on.

2. the keyless entry is not working. i replaced the battery and still doesnt work. i cant use the emergencey key to unlock the trunk so i can use the latch. i have to press the button inside the car.

3. what is this wiring harness thats not plugged in?
new clk questions-20130724_173542.jpg

new clk questions-20130724_173553.jpg
Old 07-28-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O4 CLK 320
Originally Posted by richrom2
hey guys, i have bad news. my wife got into an accident with the clk55 and they totaled it. i bought an 04 clk320 with 70k from a private seller and its has hesitation from a stop, feels like its gonna stall, and it has even stalled. the guy said it sat for almost a month and put new battery in it. it had a half tank when bought it and filled it with premium and added lucas injector cleaner in it. my thing is is that the check engine light hasnt come on.

2. the keyless entry is not working. i replaced the battery and still doesnt work. i cant use the emergencey key to unlock the trunk so i can use the latch. i have to press the button inside the car.

3. what is this wiring harness thats not plugged in?
Attachment 264067

Attachment 264068
I have the same year....will it unlock using IR.? At the door handle . Is there corrosion on the blade ( not sure what key you have. But if the car has been sitting for some time the key cold have gotten a Lil bit of corroded...I'm having that issue too) does it have the round panic or triangle? I know how to get the round one open but the triangle is a pain....

the MAF might need cleaning for sitting for a while and if it had only a half a tank, moisture builds up in the tank and lines....so drive it to empty...add another bottle of Lucas. That might work....
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 AM

whats an IR? im able to take the key out of the key fob to unlock the door but its not allowing me to unlock the trunk. i have the key with the round panic button.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
IR = infrared. It's the same signaling your TV remote control uses. The SmartKey has an IR transmitter in it that does two things. Primarily, it communicates with the EIS (electronic ignition switch) to authorize starting. As a secondary function, it can be used for "convenience open/close" of the windows (and the top on the cabriolet).

The driver's door handle (and maybe the passenger's) has an IR receiver. It's a small black square below the key slot. If you aim the SmartKey at this receiver, within about 3 feet, you can press and hold the UNLOCK button to unlock to car and lower the windows. Holding the LOCK button will lock the car and raise the windows. If the vehicle's RF receiver has failed, the IR receiver will work as a backup.

Having said that, it is very common for the IR sensor on the door handle to fail. But that would not have anything to do with your problem - it would only prevent you from using the convenience open/close feature.

Did you check fuse #8 (as I suggested over on beznworld)? Also, you say the hard key doesn't open the trunk. Does it open the doors? If not, then it's possible the car has had some parts replaced. And do you have more than one key (if not you need a spare!) and does the other key have the same problem?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 AM

O4 CLK 320
whats an IR? im able to take the key out of the key fob to unlock the door but its not allowing me to unlock the trunk. i have the key with the round panic button.
IR is InfraRed...Go to your Drivers side door handle and point the remote at the lil square about 6" away and see if it works. Also to see if it works you can use your Cell phone Camera or a digital on...Point the remote at the Lens and look to see if the signal from the remote is viewable. If you don't see it then its your remote (If batteries are new)

However...as I said before I was having issues with my remote where it use to open from the distance but then only from the door intermittenly...to not at all...It was also killing my batteries...I found this link belo on how to open the remote but I have the Triangle Panic button and the link is for the round. Well I tried to open mine and could only get on side to come up...now the strange thing....MY REMOTE WORKS FROM ANYWHERE.....I'm thinking the key got dropped and the inside got compressed some how and was shorting out the signal or allowing the battery to drain and getting that side up released the pressure....only explanation I can come up with....

Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 AM

O4 CLK 320
OH YEAH....I FORGOT ABOUT fUSE #8................ IN THE TRUNK LEFT SIDE
Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Djoker04
OH YEAH....I FORGOT ABOUT fUSE #8................ IN THE TRUNK LEFT SIDE

I checked the fuse and the fuse was blown. it had a 7.5 fuse and all i had was a 15 and put it in and it works. good call on that one

now its on to the next set of issues
Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 PM

O4 CLK 320
I checked the fuse and the fuse was blown. it had a 7.5 fuse and all i had was a 15 and put it in and it works. good call on that one

now its on to the next set of issues
Thank Rudney...MB Guru.....change the fuse to the proper one....

Where is that wire located?