CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help!-Drilled hole in vent box when installing iPad/Stereo in glovebox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 200 Coupe
Help!-Drilled hole in vent box when installing iPad/Stereo in glovebox

Hi, I just got a CLK 200 2003(W209) and installed an iPad mini into the dash and a stereo in the glovebox top shelf. To get the stereo cables into the glovebox i drilled a hole in the top shelf just before the left corner leading into the center console.

Now I only get cold air flowing on the passenger side of the car and I can see that I hit this black plastic box behind the wall when making the hole. What is this box, and can it be fixed by just glueing up the hole to make it tight again or do I have to replace it?

Se pictures attached

The iPad hookup works great tho!

Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
OK, first of all, there was no need to drill - there is already a wiring duct that leads from behind the radio to the glove box. It's used to route the wiring for the CD change. The only thing I can see between the radio pocket and the glove compartment is a small duct that leads into the center console for the rear seat A/C vents. My guess is that it isn't a hole in this duct causing the issue, but maybe you unplugged or damaged a wiring harness for the AC control panel when removing it to work on the dash.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:30 PM

W209(sold), W212, X204
Whoaa that's pretty sweet! What do you need to get an iPad hooked up??
Old 05-24-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
dope i wanna do that with my iPad ! got a diy ? lol
Old 05-24-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2009 clk-350 (Black) AMG, 2009 clk-550 (Pewter) AMG
Originally Posted by AMG_Adon
dope i wanna do that with my iPad ! got a diy ? lol
i have something similar with a nexus 7 (still did not install it) i made the custom dash piece and all, just too cheap to get a sound processor lol

you need a dash kit and you need fiber glass to mold the ipad into the dash kit (or you can buy a pre-molded ipad mini piece from SoundmanCA, google it)

2 options to run the ipad.
1) use a media deck in the glove compartment
2) install a sound processor, something like a Bit10D or Bit1 and feed the singal via a optical audi cable and pure20 or i20, what ever its called)

fun project
Old 05-26-2014, 06:33 PM

CLK 200 Coupe
Thanks for clearing that up Rudeney When u mention it I had some trouble connecting the last small iso connector on the AC panel switch as it was so short. I'll try to dismount the dash again and reconnect it to see if that resolves the problem. If that doesn't work, what else could it be? Again it blows only cold air on the passenger side, passenger side windshield and I also noticed that it only blows cold air from both feet vents as well.

Eojj: To get the iPad hooked up I used this reciever the Sony MEX5000BT reciever that has an awesome app to control the unit, and a compliant steering wheel control unit to change the volume and skip tracks from the steering wheel. The front USB port also charge the iPad so it's fully charged at all time. I also bought Soundman's iPad mini slider kit, but it was to big to fit between the controls on the top and bottom, so I have to make an own custom solution instead and permanently attach it from the back, as I don't want to **** up my dash to bad :P

Sony Reciever: http://store.sony.com/receiver-w-blu...ivers-Speakers
Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
If the wiring on the ACC panel is good, then it may be worth having the codes pulled with Star Diagnosis.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:06 AM

CLK 200 Coupe
I'll do that then, cheers!