CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Another Exhaust Thread..... Sorry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk500
Another Exhaust Thread..... Sorry

Hey guys, I've been prowling these forums for a little while now looking at all the exhaust configurations and I have a few questions.

I want to do a similiar setup to Kev's and Fatz where I delete the secondaries, resonator, and muffler. However I have seen conflicting threads on whether you gain or lose power.

I'm leaning towards the true dual setup with the X pipe, two resonators, and muffler. Will the heat from these pipes cause issues?

Lastly does anyone have the part numbers for the mufflers, X-pipes, and resonators they used?

Thanks again guys.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
There can never be too many exhaust threads......IMO
If you put heat where all those fussy MB engineers didn't, there is likely a potential issue... The heat shields available at local parts stores (Advance Auto, Auto Zone, etc) is quite good at shielding the gas tank. You shouldn't have a problem.

I used a magnaflow muffler and x-pipe (11386 and 10791). The resonators I used are Vibrant (1792). There is however an x-pipe in the muffler. I used the standalone x-pipe because I already had it in the prior exhaust config. I like the way it turned out, but you probably don't really need two x-pipes.

The muffler number will change with the inlet and outlet size, so make sure you order the right one for the pipe diameter you will use. IMO, 2.25 inch pipes are more than enough. If I were doing mine today, I would use 2.25" pipes. I recommend to others to use the same size as those coming out of their cats, and not greater than 2.25" (unless you have a SC). Besides, 2.25" will provide less of a heat issue to rectify (due to the added spacing between them and the gas tank and differential), and it is easier to route for a neat finish.

I did not dyno my car before and after; but it sure sounded like it was faster... My car is modded and I have done some other things to eliminate drone and modify the tone, and retuned the car. I can't give you and performance data related to the exhaust; but dang! it feels all good.......

Good luck and if you haven't noticed, I like exhaust....
Old 06-13-2014, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 188 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
If you run the pipes on both sides of the differential there should be no issues. The pipes get hot but as long as you have an air gap they won't affect much around them. I am not sure how Fatz had his routed that he mentioned having an issue with the gas tank. If it still stresses you out get some heat shields (sticky/moldable) and put them wherever you see fit.

As far as your actual setup, 2 resonators and a muffler might be overkill....but I guess this depends on how much noise you're used to

You won't affect whp much with this mod...well nothing that will win/lose you any "races" haha.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by megacrazy
If you run the pipes on both sides of the differential there should be no issues. The pipes get hot but as long as you have an air gap they won't affect much around them. I am not sure how Fatz had his routed that he mentioned having an issue with the gas tank. If it still stresses you out get some heat shields (sticky/moldable) and put them wherever you see fit.

As far as your actual setup, 2 resonators and a muffler might be overkill....but I guess this depends on how much noise you're used to

You won't affect whp much with this mod...well nothing that will win/lose you any "races" haha.
megacrazy, you're right about the heat concerns. There should not be a problem. I am just, perhaps overly, cautious. Using the appropriate tubing and proper routing should address any heat concerns. Besides, I think the tube temp will be only about 140 - 160 degrees F by the time they exit the center channel (about 260-300 immediately after the cats). Not hot enough to cause any problems if there is .75 to 1 inch between the tube and gas tank on both sides.

I have headers and the 2 resonators I used along with the small muffler were reasonable. Without the other mods I've done, it was still quite loud - IMO.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:24 PM

Clk500
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Fatz your setup really does sound great. So your recommend 2.25" over 2.5"? Did your setup drone much?

I didn't really expect any power gains, more so just wanted the sound. I did run it at the drag strip last weekend though so I can always compare it to that haha
Old 06-14-2014, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 06merc500
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Fatz your setup really does sound great. So your recommend 2.25" over 2.5"? Did your setup drone much?

I didn't really expect any power gains, more so just wanted the sound. I did run it at the drag strip last weekend though so I can always compare it to that haha
Yes, 2.25 is more than enough. Even TWO 2.125" tubes (dual) of equal length to the mid pipe (2.75" OD - 2.6" ID 14 gauge) you have now has more cross sectional area (for handling the volume of air/exhaust) than the single mid tube. So TWO 2.25" tube are more than enough.

Drone was awful...... I believe my headers and tune contributed a lot to the amount of drone I had. Here are some things you can do in the fabrication of yours that will help minimize drone.

1. Welding the tubes from the cats to the rest of the system rather than using clamps (although clamps make it easier to drop the exhaust for other maintenance and they also allow for the exhaust system to elongate under operating temp - i.e. it looks cool for the exhaust tips to protrude farther outward as the system warms up).

2. Locate your muffler, if you use one, outside the center channel. This is particularly true (IMO) of mufflers that have a "rumble" associated with their exhaust note (like magnaflow). You probably do not need a muffler, an x-pipe, and resonators.

3. Locate the x-pipe (if stand alone) as close to the cats as feasible and forward of the center channel - the x-pipe in itself does not create drone but can allow for what is called "constructive interference" which essentially means it can do a small bit of amplification at the drone frequency. Besides, a main purpose of the x-pipe is to "suck" exhaust from the down pipes so the engine has less pressure to overcome during cyclinder exhaust.

4. Minimize the lateral (side to side) freedom of the tubes at the exit from the car. You can have the installer use a large washer (1/2") and miniture worm-screw clamps on either side of the rubber/neoprene hangers at the rear.

I have near zero drone now; mostly due to my own invention, which I am in the process of trying to market (to OEMs). I've also altered the exhaust note with this same invention. I'll have to post some updated videos in a couple weeks.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Yes another exhaust thread! I just finished mine in March and have a few threads in which i got a majority of my help from Fatz, who is addicted to exhausts lol. Here are some of my exhaust threads: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...st-thread.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...d-exhaust.html

Last edited by kb24forlife24; 08-20-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Just a side question Fatz, how much louder will the exhaust and the drone be if I tune my ECU?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kb24forlife24
Just a side question Fatz, how much louder will the exhaust and the drone be if I tune my ECU?
I don't believe an ECU tune without the headers will contribute much, if anything, to the volume of the exhaust note overall; I suspect there would be a small (< 5%) increase under initial hard acceleration and above 3500 rpm. It's best to get a reply from someone with an ECU tune only.

I think it is the reduced collision (and resultant cancellation of sound) of exhaust leaving the engine that makes the headers sound much louder (25%-30%). Maybe someone more knowledgeable on engine tuning can chime in on this.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 PM

Clk500
Ok perfect, I'll hope for little drone since I don't have headers. I'm going to stick with two resonators and muffler for now. From your setup it looks like I should put the resonators first. So I shouldn't have the muffler in the center channel? How far back should it be?
Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok perfect, I'll hope for little drone since I don't have headers. I'm going to stick with two resonators and muffler for now. From your setup it looks like I should put the resonators first. So I shouldn't have the muffler in the center channel? How far back should it be?
The main reason for the resonators being first after the cats on my car is the presence of the headers and hi-flow cats (200 cel); I wanted to tone down cabin noise from the headers. Your x-pipe is inclusive of your muffler. You will have better scavenging (clearing the exhaust from the exhaust manifold) with the x-pipe as close to the cats as feasible.

I would suggest that you put the muffler/x-pipe first; probably just after the point where the pipes curve back to the centerline of the car. It may be partially in the front of the channel but that's ok. Use the resonators at the end to the exhaust line as you would two mufflers.

You should plan for a place to put the resonators at the end of the exhaust run. But first run it with just the muffler/x-pipe. Install the resonators as phase 2 if the exhaust volume is too loud for you. As megacrazy pointed out, muffler, resonators, and x-pipe might be overkill. But if needed, there are different levels of noise/volume attenuation available via different resonators, so you can tailor the volume in phase 2.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 PM

Clk500
Good idea I'll do that. I'm probably a week or two out from doing this. It's difficult when i really only have time to take it in saturday. Now is the 2.25" OD or ID? And should I have the tips match that diameter? Also tips are expensive haha
Old 06-17-2014, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good idea I'll do that. I'm probably a week or two out from doing this. It's difficult when i really only have time to take it in saturday. Now is the 2.25" OD or ID? And should I have the tips match that diameter? Also tips are expensive haha
2.25" OD. The tips do not have to be the same size. The installer can expand the pipe or the pipe end of the tips .25" easy; most can do up to .5". So, your tips can have a 2" - 2.5" OD and be easily connected.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:08 PM

Clk500
Hey guys I finally got around to this and I have a "few" more questions. Im just going to go with the single muffler for now and put in the resonators later if its too loud. I got a quote this morning and the guy wanted to put the muffler more in the center channel then forward. He also wanted me to ask how you guys mounted/hung the exhaust tips/piping on the passenger side since none is existing. Pictures are encouraged haha

Secondly, I got a quote of $150 to do the bumper cutout. Seems a little pricey to me. How did you guys go about this? I dont really want to cut it myself.

Thirdly, would these tips work? I know we are working with a tight space with the piping leading to them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C63AMG-Style-Dual-Steel-Exhaust-Tip-For-08-13-W204-C200-C250-C300-C350-Sedan-/151363111110?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233df1c8c6&vxp=mtr
Fourthly, kidding thats it for now. Thanks guys.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Are you putting the muffler in the middle of the car (where the resonator is)?

My exhuaut guy drilled a whole in a metal bar that was there and put a hangar there. I'll try and get pics and post them.

The bumper cut seems fairly reasonable. Measuring is very crucial for this process. I was quoted about $100-$120 from various shops, but if it is a reputable shop, then go for it.

I almost got those tips but I noticed that they don't cover the entire tip like OEM AMG tips. You'll see what I mean when you look at the tips that I got. These tips go past the actual tip and cover some of the piping to allow for a better view when looking at the car from a side angle to replicate the OEM tips. The forum member EuroStyle has a discount I believe for $250 instead of the $275 on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-C250-C200-C300-C350-C63-W204-Quad-Exhaust-Tips-AMG-/231303453535?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35dac29b5f&vxp=mtr
Old 08-21-2014, 12:40 AM

Clk500
Yep he wanted to place the muffler where the resonator was. Im leaning towards just deleting the secondaries and resonators for now and seeing how I like that. Im going to eventually convert it to dual but now im not sure if i really want to mess with it on my last semester.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Oh I would really love to hear that as I'm debating taking off my secondaries as well
Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Anyone good at photoshop? I too am looking to do a quad exhaust conversion to my 2003 CLK 500. I actually have quad C63 style titanium dipped (blue hue) tips, but I've kind of out-grown that style and am looking for just regular chrome exhaust tips.

However, I've also seen the trapezoidal style e63 exhaust tips and I wonder how they would look on the CLK. My initial thoughts are that it won't look as good since our car is more rounded/circular body styling and the e63 / newer E has more of a hard sharp edged style which better accents the tips.

Anyone able to photoshop it or have they ever seen pics of this to share?
Old 08-25-2014, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Oh I would really love to hear that as I'm debating taking off my secondaries as well
On my 550 this worked out perfect for me. Deleted the res and both secondary cats ( theyre really resonators) and the sound is great...
Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Any videos of the exhaust?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:51 PM

Clk500
I have flopped on what I want to do multiple times at this point. I was afraid removing the 2nd cats and resonators wouldn't quite give me the growl I was looking for. So Im contemplating just removing the muffler. Kb I know you did that. How was the sound? Was it droney at all?

jctevere I feel like those tips might be too angular for the rounded design of our cars.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
06merc500, my muffler delete was pretty good for what it was. Here is a clip:

If you remove the second cats and resonator, I can almost guarantee that there will be a lot of growl.

Regarding the muffler delete, it had very slight drone at around 1,800-1,900 RPM but it wasn't annoying to me, just on the first day I got it because it was a different sound. It was a beautiful sound when accelerating but at around 3,000 RPM is when the exhaust "quiets down", but after removing the resonator and putting in my x-pipe, it stays alive throughout the RPMs.

I had the same thoughts as you when I was doing my exhaust, just go one step at a time.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 PM

Clk500
If i deleted the muffler do you think the shop could fabricate a Y joint for a dual exhaust or do you think thats something I'd have to buy. Your car sounds great. I'd be happy with that
Old 08-28-2014, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
If i deleted the muffler do you think the shop could fabricate a Y joint for a dual exhaust or do you think thats something I'd have to buy. Your car sounds great. I'd be happy with that

Yeah what they would do is split the pipe from the muffler delete. Fellow member Peydidy did that to his exhaust and I attached the pic from his thread for you. Don't forget pictures and videos when you do the process!
Attached Thumbnails Another Exhaust Thread..... Sorry-screenshot_2014-08-27-21-04-56.png  
Old 08-28-2014, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah what they would do is split the pipe from the muffler delete. Fellow member Peydidy did that to his exhaust and I attached the pic from his thread for you. Don't forget pictures and videos when you do the process!
There is a "Y" (2 to 1) between the secondary CATS and the resonator. If you plan to keep the resonator, then a "Y" (1 to 2) will be needed after the resonator to do a dual exit.

If you delete the resonator you can also delete the (2 to 1) "Y" and run individual pipes (true dual).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another Exhaust Thread..... Sorry