CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

BATTERY KEEPS DYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK500
BATTERY KEEPS DYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So my battery died this past sunday and i replaced it with one from autozone, two days later....(today on this date), i hop the car to go to work and i got completely nothing!!! Even the key lock for the ignition wouldnt engage. Anyone have any tips or help they could offer? It would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w215 - CL55 w/stage III
most likely its your Final Stage Resistor also known as FSU - ck that out
The following users liked this post:
Reanimation (03-09-2017)
Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
2002 CLK430
Two ideas come to mind. Maybe three. Do the fuse trick. Pull half the fuses and see if the battery dies overnight.
If not,put in HALF of the remaining fuses the next night.
If so, put in all the fuses you took out and remove half the ones you left.
This goes on night after night until you isolate the circuit . . . . provided you don't go postal and kill someone in a fit of dead battery induced rage. I don't like the fuse trick, but I understand it.

Unplug the seats. Did the battery stop dying? Yep, it's the damned power seats. I don't like this solution either, because at that point you know the seats that you suspected are indeed out to drive you nuts. You special ordered the car with THESE SEATS and this is how you're treated? Damned seats . . . . . . . smh.

Honestly, I'd do this one. I'd fall on my sword and take it to the dealer. I'd tell the writer to get me a loaner and don't call until he knows whats wrong and what it's going to cost. Yep, I'd pay the money rather than deal with the agg. I'm getting old. I can't take the agg. I would ask if the damned sales guy who sold me the car was still there. Then I'd tell him, yeah I'm back, yeah it's the damned seats you said I was going to love. Yes, me and seats do have a history. Not in the CLK, but in something else, and if those seats so much as think about not working I'm trading the whole damned car in.
Reanimation (03-09-2017)
Old 07-03-2014, 12:07 AM

2005 CLK500
Originally Posted by mguerrero
most likely its your Final Stage Resistor also known as FSU - ck that out
Is that something that i alone can replace and if so is there a WIS for the repair?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:10 AM

2005 CLK500
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Two ideas come to mind. Maybe three. Do the fuse trick. Pull half the fuses and see if the battery dies overnight.
If not,put in HALF of the remaining fuses the next night.
If so, put in all the fuses you took out and remove half the ones you left.
This goes on night after night until you isolate the circuit . . . . provided you don't go postal and kill someone in a fit of dead battery induced rage. I don't like the fuse trick, but I understand it.

Unplug the seats. Did the battery stop dying? Yep, it's the damned power seats. I don't like this solution either, because at that point you know the seats that you suspected are indeed out to drive you nuts. You special ordered the car with THESE SEATS and this is how you're treated? Damned seats . . . . . . . smh.

Honestly, I'd do this one. I'd fall on my sword and take it to the dealer. I'd tell the writer to get me a loaner and don't call until he knows whats wrong and what it's going to cost. Yep, I'd pay the money rather than deal with the agg. I'm getting old. I can't take the agg. I would ask if the damned sales guy who sold me the car was still there. Then I'd tell him, yeah I'm back, yeah it's the damned seats you said I was going to love. Yes, me and seats do have a history. Not in the CLK, but in something else, and if those seats so much as think about not working I'm trading the whole damned car in.
Wow, i appreciate the response Mark, i think the seat help drain the car, like everything else in the damn car.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:55 PM

2005 CLK500
Does anyone know if theres a certain fuse or something that keeps the car from turning off once you disengage the key from the car? I really feel like that drains the battery also
Old 07-08-2014, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by KingDuckett
Does anyone know if theres a certain fuse or something that keeps the car from turning off once you disengage the key from the car? I really feel like that drains the battery also
By "keeps the car from turning off once you disengage the key from the car", do you mean the systems that are intentionally designed to stay awake for a short period of time? Like being able to turn on the radio without the key? Or let me back up, which features do you want turned off? Dissimilar systems will probably be on different circuits and an owner isn't supposed to have to pull fuses. My battery has never gone dead and my car occasionally sits in airport parking for weeks at a time. The caveat is I change my battery once every 5 years because I dislike a dead battery worse than I enjoy saving money for an extra year or three.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:09 AM

2006 Mercedes E350
Battery kept dying overnight

Hello all, I have a 2006 Mercedes E350 that kept dying overnight (more than 8 hours). This was confusing to me since the dealer I had just purchased it from had installed a new battery. If the car sat for under 8 hours, I would still get a message that the battery was low and "convenience functions temporarily unavailable." Once it got jumped, it was fine. I started to turn the lights to "off" instead of "auto" when I parked, turned the radio and NAV completely off... Still dying at night. The dealer took it back for 2 days and still couldn't figure out what was draining the battery. I finally took it to the Mercedes dealer. They were stumped at first but a few hours later they found a large 4-amp draw, which turned out to be a short in the central gateway. It was staying on when the car was off draining the battery. Of course I had to pay a per hour diagnostic fee, but it was found and fixed. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 PM

03 CLK 320 A209
its 2017 and im having this problem with my car and its really bad, im on my 3rd new battery because the one before keep getting a bad cell because its draining bad.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
270 cdi w209
This needs doing at first.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:36 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
1985(W126)500SE, 1994(W124)E420 1991(R129)500SL and The Mothership 2009 CLK550
King Ducket, your car will benefit from a battery disconnect switch, connected ONLY to the negative terminal of the battery, and NEVER to the positive terminal. When you get home, simply turn off the tap, and there will be ZERO battery current leaks, until you return to re-tighten that disconnect switch.

There are numerous designs for these inexpensive disconnect switches, and here is just one in Youtube video.

This device will save your battery from destructive over-discharge while the car is parked, and while you take your time to diagnose the source of the current leakage.

I have one of these devices in my 1991 Mercedes 500SL, and it works very well, with no further incidences of flat batteries to report since that simple installation.

Finally, do remember to connect the battery disconnect terminal ONLY to the negative terminal, to prevent electrical fires.
Reanimation (03-15-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 11:07 PM

2005 c
Originally Posted by KingDuckett
So my battery died this past sunday and i replaced it with one from autozone, two days later....(today on this date), i hop the car to go to work and i got completely nothing!!! Even the key lock for the ignition wouldnt engage. Anyone have any tips or help they could offer? It would be greatly appreciated!!

Dear Mercedese owners i am using MERCEDESE C200 compressor 2005 and with me since 2005 ,having issue of battery drain and after replacing new battery issue remains..
send to workshop and they had tried to find the problem BUT UNABLE ....after google search i found out many owners have memory seat issue which drain out the battery in overnight.....
after the workshop also recognise the same memory seat fault which drain out the battery and next morning car not able to start.
what they do they have little (WIRING alteration) and now the memory seat can be adjusted or have power once ignition is on....once key is out and memory seat have no power....
Problem solve with this method upon entering key seat use power else NO POWER.