CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Anyone with custom exhaust need some advise & sound clips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 CLK 500
Anyone with custom exhaust need some advise & sound clips

Hello everyone . So I recently had put on a exhaust cutout but I was looking to get more of better sound . I ordered an x pipe and my plan is to remove the resonator in the middle and instead put in the x pipe . Then both sides will merge into 1 pipe to the cutout and to the stock muffler. I just want to be able to lower it when I am on the highway . But before I do I wanted to see if anyone has sound clips of an x pipe with stock muffler . Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
An X pipe going into a single pipe on the output side is no better than the current "Y" pipe you have merging the 2 upstream pipes into the single mid-pipe, then to the OE muffler.

Unless you're gong to install a true dual, an X or H pipe is probably no different than the Y, in terms of performance or sound on a single mid-pipe setup, even with a cutout.

When you merge the output of an X or H, they are a Y.

kb has some sound clips posted.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 CLS63, 2001 ML430, 2012 e350 coupe
i agree with x pipe is a waste if it goes into a single pipe later. Also placing it all the way in the back wouldnt be the best location for it either.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:34 PM

2004 CLK 500
For some reason it didnt load up the picture before. I know what your saying about the Y pipe . But if i do a tru dual i would not be able to use the cutout to draw the exhaust through the OEM Muffler. I just dont want the drone on the highway .
Old 01-27-2016, 03:38 PM

2004 CLK 500
I can also move the exhaust cut out like this before the Y pipe so when i open the cutout it flowing like a true dual...
Old 01-27-2016, 03:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 CLS63, 2001 ML430, 2012 e350 coupe
the x pipe is a waste with either set up, save your money if thats how you plan on running it.
and i couldnt tell you how that would sound, i dont know anyone that has run a set up like that. Sounds like your set on cut outs, why not just order a 2nd?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
If you use an X-pipe, go with a dual tailpipe exit.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gixxerboy
the x pipe is a waste with either set up, save your money if thats how you plan on running it.
and i couldnt tell you how that would sound, i dont know anyone that has run a set up like that. Sounds like your set on cut outs, why not just order a 2nd?
Ditto on what gixxerboy said.....

Also, putting a cutout on just one exhaust before the "Y" pipe is not a good idea IMO. When you open the cutout, you essentially have different back pressures on one bank vs the other. The ECU ,may be able to figure that out an adjust, but that imbalance has to setup some vibrations and harmonics in the engine that were not planned for.

My suggestion would be; if you're not going to do a true dual and you want to use the cutout then use the "Y" merge connector you already have in the car and place the cutout into the mid-pipe. Where you place it in the mid-pipe depends on how much of the exhaust you want to hear.

You also don't want that cutout under the cabin if you plan to sometimes leave it open for an extended period of time. That would be a safety issue related to carbon monoxide.

Let us know what you do and how it works out....
Old 01-28-2016, 02:29 PM

2004 CLK 500
Thank you all for chiming in . I really appreciate the help . Here is what I decided to do . I will just cutout the mid resonator and move the cutout back . From there I will price It out with the exhaust shop on how much it they will charge me to run a second tailpipe because I really want the quad pipe look . If its too much I will just leave it with 1 pipe . Again I don't want the exhaust on all the time that's why I am doing the cutout . and once its installed I will upload photos and videos.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you go with the "quad look" and not true dual exhaust, the best solution IMO is the one done by a forum member whose name escapes me. He is not very active anymore but essentially the OE muffler is removed and replaced with a single in/dual out magnaflow where the output pipes are at opposite ends of the muffler. I think magnaflow refers to the muffler config as a Camaro setup. The pipe connected to the exit on the same end as the input is routed around the front side of the trunk well and then along the pass side to the pass side tips.

That way you could still use you cutout, have your quad look, and probably not much increased drone.

Keep in mind that if you just run a pipe off your current setup, with or without the cutout, one side will be muffled and the other will not. Will probably sound weird.

I just preferred true dual.....

Keep us posted.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:31 PM

2004 CLK 500
So I had the exhaust done yesterday and to so the least I don't like it . I flipped out today at the exhaust shop and I am just going to take it and go somewhere else because they have no idea what there doing . I first went in to have the dual exhaust done and I was quoted $500 without tips which is a lot of money for pipes . So I decided to just cut the resonator and install the cutout . I went to pick up my car and when they installed the cutout the motor is hanging very low . I did not realize this until I got home when I tried to enter into my driveway and I heard something scrape . I looked underneath and I could not believe it . I went back to them and they removed the motor and tried to tilt it so it will tuck in but the way it was welded it I can not get it to clock right without touching something . I went back and forth with them and they want to charge me again for the labor which I am not paying . Anyone here know a good exhaust shop in NYC area?
Old 02-05-2016, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can you post pics of what was done?

Secondly, $500 is a lot for someone who doesn't know what they are doing with a performance vehicle. It is about right, IMO, for a shop that DOES know what they are doing and have experience doing it. (TIG welded butt joints aren't easy - MIG welded lap joints are not so difficult.)

I don't know the size of the cutout motor, but it would seem initially that the best places would be about a foot ahead of the input to the OE muffler or at the channel exit. This is just based on the routing of the exhaust in the 550.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:07 PM

2004 CLK 500
Its snowed today so i cant get a good picture i will take one tomorrow or Sunday when it clears up . but he basically installed it right behind the panhard bar and the diff . it clears both but its sticking down alot .I called another shop thats a bit far away from me . they have good reviews online and i spoke to the shop manager and he quoted me $150 for running dual pipes . i am going there next week on my day off to have them look at the car and i am going to watch what they do .
Old 03-09-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2011 E550 Cab & 2015 ML400
Originally Posted by Fatz
If you go with the "quad look" and not true dual exhaust, the best solution IMO is the one done by a forum member whose name escapes me. He is not very active anymore but essentially the OE muffler is removed and replaced with a single in/dual out magnaflow where the output pipes are at opposite ends of the muffler. I think magnaflow refers to the muffler config as a Camaro setup. The pipe connected to the exit on the same end as the input is routed around the front side of the trunk well and then along the pass side to the pass side tips.

That way you could still use you cutout, have your quad look, and probably not much increased drone.

Keep in mind that if you just run a pipe off your current setup, with or without the cutout, one side will be muffled and the other will not. Will probably sound weird.

I just preferred true dual.....

Keep us posted.
I don't think Fatz is referring to me cause I've never posted pics of my exhaust but this is the exact setup that I had. Used the Magnaflow 12198. No drone. Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone with custom exhaust need some advise & sound clips-img_9701.jpg   Anyone with custom exhaust need some advise & sound clips-img_1517.jpg   Anyone with custom exhaust need some advise & sound clips-img_1522.jpg   Anyone with custom exhaust need some advise & sound clips-img_1524.jpg   Anyone with custom exhaust need some advise & sound clips-img_1526.jpg  

Old 03-09-2016, 01:18 PM

2004 CLK 500
Kevin is it possible to upload a video . Curious to hear the diffrent with no mufflers and the MagnaFlow . Also did you have any issue with the exhaust melting the bumper .
Old 03-09-2016, 01:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2011 E550 Cab & 2015 ML400
Originally Posted by irokdastar
Kevin is it possible to upload a video . Curious to hear the diffrent with no mufflers and the MagnaFlow . Also did you have any issue with the exhaust melting the bumper .
Sorry. unfortunately I don't have a video and I've sold the car. It wasn't really loud but definitely noticeable when starting and revving but not at idle which is what I wanted. And no issues with the exhaust melting the bumper.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The exhaust mod I was referring to was done by "Kevwood". He doesn't post very often anymore but his build thread can be viewed.