CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ABS light after disconnecting battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 MB 320 CLK
ABS light after disconnecting battery

Did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Had to disconnect the battery to clean out some corrosion. After re-installing, the ABS warning light is on.

Hoping this is common and someone has the easy fix.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
85 911 Targa
Corrosion on the battery terminals? Did you disconnect both terminals or just one?

How long did you disconnect it for? You are certain connector is snug, not too loose or too tight? Yes, too tight may fracture the connector causing a short.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:59 PM

2000 MB 320 CLK
Originally Posted by DRACO
Corrosion on the battery terminals? Did you disconnect both terminals or just one?

How long did you disconnect it for? You are certain connector is snug, not too loose or too tight? Yes, too tight may fracture the connector causing a short.
Well the corrosion wasn't my main issue but...

Battery seems fine. Terminals were snug and clean. What was weird was the 1/2 - 1 inch of white power surrounding the base of the battery. The metal is there is still solid and not compromised. Never seen this before. So I vacuumed out the white powder and cleaned up the area. Terminals are back on snug so I really don't think that's affecting the ABS light.

I just bought this 320 CLK from a buddy to fix up for my daughter. Haven't checked with him yet to see how old is the battery.

On a side note, I was back there since the remote trunk release stopped working. Fuses were fine but still not working. Pulled the fuses and cleaned off the blades. All is well. Guess the battery acid vapor corroded the blade fuses. Will replace all of them.

Any ideas on what to do with the ABS light?
Old 04-04-2016, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Did you drive it after the battery disconnect? Some vehicles lose the speed sensor signal until they roll again after the battery has been off.

White powder around the terminals is usually leaking fumes causing corrosion, battery is getting bad. It shouldn't leak at all around the terminals.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:11 PM

85 911 Targa
I'd go an have it tested and swap if needed so your baby girl will not get stranded.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
05 CLK55 AMG (1 of 247) Cubanitsilber designo series
Originally Posted by Spaceman33
Well the corrosion wasn't my main issue but...

Battery seems fine. Terminals were snug and clean. What was weird was the 1/2 - 1 inch of white power surrounding the base of the battery. The metal is there is still solid and not compromised. Never seen this before. So I vacuumed out the white powder and cleaned up the area. Terminals are back on snug so I really don't think that's affecting the ABS light.

I just bought this 320 CLK from a buddy to fix up for my daughter. Haven't checked with him yet to see how old is the battery.

On a side note, I was back there since the remote trunk release stopped working. Fuses were fine but still not working. Pulled the fuses and cleaned off the blades. All is well. Guess the battery acid vapor corroded the blade fuses. Will replace all of them.

Any ideas on what to do with the ABS light?
Is the vent tube for the battery installed correctly?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:39 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yep - check the vent tube. It is supposed to be routed down beside the drain for the water collector (pan under the windshield wipers) below the battery tray. Often, when changing batteries, the tube gets pulled out of place and dumps into the battery tray itself. You really need to remove the fender shroud and battery to make sure it's routed correctly, otherwise it can dump onto the frame or ATA siren.

As for the ABS error, try this: Start then engine, and in park, turn the steering wheel fully lock to lock 3-4 times. This will re-calibrate the steering position sensor. It's a common issue after disconnecting the battery.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:06 AM

2000 MB 320 CLK
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Yep - check the vent tube. It is supposed to be routed down beside the drain for the water collector (pan under the windshield wipers) below the battery tray. Often, when changing batteries, the tube gets pulled out of place and dumps into the battery tray itself. You really need to remove the fender shroud and battery to make sure it's routed correctly, otherwise it can dump onto the frame or ATA siren.

As for the ABS error, try this: Start then engine, and in park, turn the steering wheel fully lock to lock 3-4 times. This will re-calibrate the steering position sensor. It's a common issue after disconnecting the battery.
Thanks for all the replies. I will replace the battery... found out it's a couple of years old. And I'll check the vent tube.

Did the left-right-center thing thinking that it was a waste of time. Damn if it didn't work.

Now can focus on other parts of car.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:00 PM

85 911 Targa
Outstanding!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2000 C280
that worked out very well !! tks (ABS led was on)